A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- public attitudes water and sanitation marwan haddad 2005 Sun, 01Mar2015Public Attitudes towards Socio-Cultural Aspects of Water Supply and Sanitation Services: Palestine as a Case Study Marwan Haddad, An-Najah ...
- Union Budget 2015: FM's vision for long-term India growth story, says Microsec Sun, 01Mar2015The Government targets 2 crores houses for urban India and 4 crores houses for rural India, with basic facilities of sanitation, Water. Road connectivity ...
- water & sanitation affect not only to health Sun, 01Mar2015"water & sanitation affect not only to health ,but to other vital aspects of life also." JUSTIFY the statement. Asked by Santosh(parent) , 3 hours, ...
- Recruitment for Coordinator at Water and Sanitation Management Organisation Sun, 01Mar2015Recruitment for Coordinator at Water and Sanitation Management Organisation (WASMO) – February 2015 : Water and Sanitation Management ...
- Dhaka Ahsania Mission Sun, 01Mar2015In WASH sector, diverse water, sanitation and hygiene concerned issues are addressed focusing on increased access to safe water for household use ...
- Experts speak to deep well injection concerns Sun, 01Mar2015The purpose of the Santa Clarita Valley deep well injection site is to dispose of salt-laden water. Sanitation District officials have said the brine will go ...
- school water monitoring program ohio Sun, 01Mar2015Search results for school water monitoring program ohio == ... Scaling Up Rural Sanitation Supporting governments and private sector to implement ...
- Budget 2015-16 in seven charts Sun, 01Mar2015... it is up to them to spend it on important sectors like health and sanitation,” an official of the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation told The Hindu.
- Budget 2015: NDA's flagships see small allocations Sun, 01Mar2015The Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, which includes spending on both sanitation and drinking water, will receive Rs 6,000 crore as compared to Rs 11,938.50 ...
- Access to clean water article Sun, 01Mar2015In 2004, only 42% of people in rural areas had access to clean water. Solar water Main article: Water. Supply and Sanitation in the European Union.
- MINISTRY OF DRINKING WATER AND SANITATION DEMAND NO. 30 Ministry of Drinking Water ... Sun, 01Mar2015DEMAND NO. 30. Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. A. The Budget allocations, net of recoveries, are given below: (In crores of Rupees). Major.
- Axe on social sector to adjust fiscal deficit? Sun, 01Mar2015In the ministry of drinking water and sanitation, which includes clean Indian campaign, the allocations have been halved frorm Rs 1,2107 crore to Rs ...
- Cholera: Exposing Underbelly Of Poor Sanitation, Potable Water Supply Sun, 01Mar2015According to WaterAid Nigeria, an international non-governmental agency that tackles issues of access to water, sanitation and hygiene, about 63 ...
- Govt willing to walk the talk through higher public investments Sat, 28Feb2015There is a very close interdependence between water, sanitation, health, nutrition, and human well-being. We view water as a central resource for a ...
- UT budget up by 40% Sat, 28Feb2015A sum of Rs 11.25 crore has been kept for augmentation water supply system, Rs 2.25 crore for improvement ... Water supply and sanitation | 13.75
- San Jamar STW1200 Saf-T-Wash Food Sanitizing System, Ozone Sanitation Sat, 28Feb2015Restaurant Equipment San Jamar STW1200 Saf-T-Wash Food Sanitizing System, Ozone Sanitation (Chemical Free) Eco Friendly Processed Water ...
- Thorn of a couplet, then 90 laboured minutes Sat, 28Feb2015... roads, sanitation, electricity, drinking water, health, education, increase in agricultural productivity, an effort to "end" the rural-urban divide, Jan-Dhan ...
- Fast-tracking access to water and sanitation Sat, 28Feb2015A basic necessity of every citizen is access to water and sanitation (toilet and washing facilities). Meet a group of people from Lingarajapuram, ...
- 22 Co-ordinator & Accountant Vacancies in Water & Sanitation Management Organization Sat, 28Feb2015Water & Sanitation Management Organization (WASMO) is an autonomous body works under the administrative control of Government of Gujarat.
- New money-sharing regime is in Sat, 28Feb2015... 13,000 crore, while the allocations for the Ministry of Women and Child Development and the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation fell by 50 per ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 1 week ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 3 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 3 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch