A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- In Africa, Clean Energy Provides a Route to Clean Water Tue, 31Mar2015Uganda is also a beneficiary of a four-year initiative financed by the Africa Development Bank's Water Supply and Sanitation Programme. The initiative ...
- Urge Stricter Sanitation Regulations to Combat Cholera Tue, 31Mar2015Goal: Urge Zimbabwe to create stricter sanitation legislation to combat cholera epidemic. It's no mystery that access to clean water is scarce in ...
- Mapping Tools for water and sanitation infrastructure. Tue, 31Mar2015We are trying to map our existing water and sanitation (WASH) infrastructure facilities. I am not a GIS expert but we are constantly suggested that we ...
- Julie bishop water not just about thirst and sanitation about opportunity Tue, 31Mar2015drinking water and sanitation so that children enjoy the opportunity to be ... Bishop: Water & sanitation equipment has been brought in since Sunday ...
- Water Sanitation: Appraising Nigeria's Efforts To Meet MDGs Targets Tue, 31Mar2015The MDG on water and sanitation is specifically designed to address the challenges facing people without sustainable access to safe drinking water ...
- Malawi estate tenants are still denied basic labour rights Tue, 31Mar2015... ranging from poor medications, sanitation, housing, water and food as most tenants wives and daughters are forced to sleep with estate owners and ...
- Tough times loom for SA consumers Tue, 31Mar2015“Water will certainly be above 10 percent. Unfortunately, consumers can't avoid these items such as sanitation, petrol, electricity and water. This is a ...
- (WASH) MATERIALS FOR UNHCR CAMEROON Tue, 31Mar2015INVITATION TO BID FOR THE SUPPLY AND DELIVERY OF DIFFERENT WATER, SANITATION AND HYGIENE (WASH) MATERIALS FOR UNHCR ...
- Julie Bishop Tue, 31Mar2015"Access to clean water and safe sanitation has the potential to transform the lives of women and girls":Julie Bishop writes on the importance of clean ...
- 2 new photos Tue, 31Mar2015Our sustainable sanitation experts' poster is inspiring discussions at the Dresden Nexus Conference, 25-27 March, Dresden, Germany.
- Photo of the Week: Vanuatu's '10000 in 10' campaign Tue, 31Mar2015Vanuatu, 2015: Tropical Cyclone Pam, which hit on 13 March, has disrupted access to safe water and sanitation in the South Pacific island nation, ...
- Seventh annual Walk4Water is April 11 Tue, 31Mar2015An African woman pumps clean water from a bore hole in her village. ... for clean water, sanitation and training in hygiene in developing countries.
- Fight against poverty: Telangana, J&K, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra are the worst performing ... Tue, 31Mar2015... water, sanitation, education, health and social security), construction of rural roads and houses for the economically weaker and low-income groups, ...
- Adventist Pastor Miraculously Survives Deadly Flood in Chile Tue, 31Mar2015Immediately after the flooding, ADRA also dispatched a team of specialists in water and sanitation, who have worked with local authorities to ensure ...
- Looking Local: Addressing Hunger, Poverty and WASH Tue, 31Mar2015There is perhaps nothing more fundamental to our human dignity than water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). When that human right is secure, we ...
- State's sanitation initiatives lauded Tue, 31Mar2015State's sanitation initiatives lauded ... Enugu State Government has said it will review the state's water and sanitation laws to reposition the sector.
- Water Sanitation Hygiene Tue, 31Mar2015Home · Operations · Coordination · Programme Cycle · Topics · Applications · Pacific Region · Water Sanitation Hygiene ... Water Sanitation Hygiene ...
- Enugu to review water law to boost performance Mon, 30Mar2015Enugu State Government has said it will review the state's water and sanitation laws to reposition the sector. Its Commissioner for.
- Lake Victoria Water Supply and Sanitation Program, Phase II Mon, 30Mar2015AOI – Kenya - Lake Victoria Water Supply and Sanitation Program, Phase II (LVWATSAN II) – 03 2015. Publishing Date, 30/03/2015. Categories: ...
- Ezulwini Sustainable Water Supply and Sanitation Service Delivery Project Mon, 30Mar2015Swaziland - Ezulwini Sustainable Water Supply and Sanitation Service Delivery Project - Contract Award – 03 2015 ...
- RT @robwaugh83: BBC News - 'Water man of India' Rajendra Singh bags top prize #water #wash #watsan @busogatrust bbc.co.uk/news/science-e… 3 days ago
- RT @kyoobi: Ghana Watsan Journalists Network identify challenges to water distribution in Accra lnkd.in/b38bFYi 3 days ago
- RT @slattof: World water day: how the poor pay more in #WestAfrica – in pictures buff.ly/1DQv3EE #watsan #intdev #Mali 3 days ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: Join me to #BoycottIndiana . Show Gov. #Pence we won't stand for bigotry in the name of religion. 3 days ago
- RT @TechExLab: AquaPlates from @3M are designed for easier testing of microbes in #water. bit.ly/AquaPlates-TEL #watsan http://t.co/8eoVeF… 1 week ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch