A great video to watch while waiting to see the recording of Rose George when she spoke at Ted 2013
Rose George thinks, researches, writes and talks about sanitation. Diarrhea is a weapon of mass destruction, says the UK-based journalist and author, and a lack of access to toilets is at the root of our biggest public health crisis. In 2012, two out of five of the world’s population had nowhere sanitary to go.
The key to turning around this problem is to “stop putting the toilet behind a locked door,” says George. Let’s drop the pretense of “water-related diseases” and call out the cause of myriad afflictions around the world — “poop-related diseases” that are preventable with a basic toilet. Once we do, we can start using human waste for good.
George explores the problem in her book The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters and in a fabulous special issue of Colors magazine called “Shit: A Survival Guide.”
Related Links for Rose George
- Go home and talk s***: Rose George at TED2013
- Contact info , book info and a whole lot more on her web site….
- Animated homage to her Book: The Indoorfins present: The Big Necessity :-)
Other powerful TED , TEDX, TED-Ed links
- TEDxYYC – “David Damberger – Learning from Failure” -Wonderful Reflection on his WATSAN Experience
- TEDx HOW NEXTDROP IS USING CELL PHONES, CROWDSOURCING TO GET WATER TO THE THIRSTY.
- TEDxBerlin Noa Lerner:X-runner. Sanitation Social Business
- TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
- Revolutionizing Sanitation in Developing Nations: Yu-Ling Cheng at TEDxYouth@Toronto
- Where we get our fresh water – Christiana Z. Peppard TED-Ed
- Turning recycled wastewater into a commoditized resource : Valérie Issumo at TEDxLausanne
- The Wello Water Wheel Story : Cynthia Koenig at TEDxGateway