A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Shaikh Mohammed forms UAE Water Aid Foundation Sun, 01Mar2015The new foundation is tasked with finding sustainable solutions to water ... to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest communities.
- UN-water global analysis and assessment of sanitation and drinking-water Sun, 01Mar2015Access to safe drinking-water and basic sanitation is essential to human health and survival. But for many people living in low-resource settings, these ...
- Environmental Damage to Gaza Exacerbating Food Insecurity Sun, 01Mar2015Israel's extensive bombing campaign during the war also destroyed or damaged, infrastructure, including Gaza's sole power plant and water sanitation ...
- Minister for fighting environmental degradation worth over Rs 365b Sun, 01Mar2015Giving break-up of the losses, he said that of Rs. 365 billion losses, inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene accounts for Rs 112 billion, ...
- Mohammed issues law, establishing 'UAE Water Aid Foundation' Sun, 01Mar2015(3) of 2015 establishing the 'UAE Water Aid Foundation', a non-profit ... to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest communities.
- Environmental degradation costs Pak Rs 356 billion annually Sun, 01Mar2015The minister said inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene accounts for Rs 112 billion, agricultural soil degradation Rs 70 billion, indoor ...
- Mohammad issues law establishing UAE Water Aid Foundation Sun, 01Mar2015Dubai: In an effort to find sustainable solutions to water shortage and ... and purify water and to improve access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in ...
- Why do sanitation campaigns fail? Sun, 01Mar2015World Bank Water ... Why do sanitation campaigns fail? blogs.worldbank.org - The study finds that the govt's rural sanitation programme, implemented ...
- The world can reap the benefits of investing in rural communities Sun, 01Mar2015... nearly 87 per cent – to development projects, such as agriculture, infrastructure, climate change mitigation and water and sanitation ventures.
- A warrior most unlikely Sun, 01Mar2015Water Access and Water Filtration System and Sanitation. This last one focuses on distributing water filtration systems to schools to have safe water for ...
- NAM S-T Centre helps to rebuild war-torn Afghanistan Sun, 01Mar2015... required in developing various sectors including by farming, power, water and sanitation, food processing and infrastructure development.
- Strengthening Capacity in Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Management in Laos Sun, 01Mar2015Status. Medium Opportunity Size. The project aims to increase the capacity in water supply and sanitation management in urban areas in Laos.
- Water Sanitation and Conservation (Internship) Sun, 01Mar2015Water scarcity is an issue in arid and desert zones. Overall rural India has a big water sanitation issue. Technical and educational intervention is ...
- public attitudes water and sanitation marwan haddad 2005 Sun, 01Mar2015Public Attitudes towards Socio-Cultural Aspects of Water Supply and Sanitation Services: Palestine as a Case Study Marwan Haddad, An-Najah ...
- Page Header Sun, 01Mar2015Improving Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (Wash) in Rural Secondary Schools with Special Reference to Girl Children at Tsvingwe High School, ...
- Union Budget 2015: FM's vision for long-term India growth story, says Microsec Sun, 01Mar2015The Government targets 2 crores houses for urban India and 4 crores houses for rural India, with basic facilities of sanitation, Water. Road connectivity ...
- water & sanitation affect not only to health Sun, 01Mar2015"water & sanitation affect not only to health ,but to other vital aspects of life also." JUSTIFY the statement. Asked by Santosh(parent) , 3 hours, ...
- Recruitment for Coordinator at Water and Sanitation Management Organisation Sun, 01Mar2015Recruitment for Coordinator at Water and Sanitation Management Organisation (WASMO) – February 2015 : Water and Sanitation Management ...
- Bangalore Water Supply and Sanitation Board Recruitment Notification Sun, 01Mar2015Saturday, February 28, 2015. Bangalore Water Supply and Sanitation Board Recruitment Notification. Posted by Razak Ustaad at 9:49 PM.
- Making investment in water & sanitation not just has moral case but economic as well Sun, 01Mar201528 February 2015 - Scores of children seized by armed men from a village in northern South Sudan two weeks ago remain forcibly recruited as child ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 1 week ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 3 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 3 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch