A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- IAF plane with first batch of Israeli survivors of Nepal quake lands at military base Mon, 27Apr2015“This crisis leaves children particularly vulnerable – limited access to safe water and sanitation will put children at great risk from waterborne diseases, ...
- How to help victims of the Nepal earthquake Mon, 27Apr2015Catholic Relief Services is accepting donations to help send relief materials such as shelter kits, water, sanitation and hygiene materials for the ...
- How you can help Nepal earthquake victims Mon, 27Apr2015Oxfam International is responding with clean water, sanitation and emergency food. Visit oxfam.org. • Save the Children is seeking donations for its ...
- Navy ship HMNZS Canterbury and NZDF crew return home from Vanuatu Mon, 27Apr2015Health teams and Army engineers, who carried out damage assessment, clearing debris from roads, repairs to water and sanitation systems, and to ...
- Canadian government, aid groups rush emergency resources to Nepal Mon, 27Apr2015The organization is sending emergency supplies, particularly water, sanitation equipment and food, and readying two cargo flights with 120 tons of ...
- QC Nepalese community raises funds for quake victims Mon, 27Apr2015“There is no sanitation, and no drinking water,” Susmita Dahal said. “It's a mess.” Pandit said the group's goal is to raise at least $50,000. The meeting ...
- UN responds to destruction, displacement in wake of Nepal earthquake Sun, 26Apr2015In a report on the agency's website, UNICEF stressed the heightened vulnerability of children when access to safe water and sanitation was limited ...
- How To Help Nepal Sun, 26Apr2015Oxfam International -- The organization is providing clean water, food and sanitation supplies to those affected in the region with an emphasis on ...
- UNICEF mounts Nepal quake fundraiser for children Sun, 26Apr2015"Limited access to safe water and sanitation will put children at great risk from waterborne diseases, while some children may have become separated ...
- Aftermath of Nepal earthquake: How to help Sun, 26Apr2015Catholic Relief Services — Catholic Relief Services has begun gathering emergency materials such as tarpaulins, shelter kids, water and sanitation ...
- Nigeria: EU commits N35.2b to water, sanitation, hygiene in 14 states Sun, 26Apr2015You are at:Home»News»Nigeria: EU commits N35.2b to water, sanitation, ... FEATURE-Broken pipes, broken promises on Lagos water stir anger ...
- Nepal earthquake: How you can help Sun, 26Apr2015Oxfam Australia has teams in Nepal assessing the damage and ready to respond with lifesaving essentials – clean water, sanitation and emergency ...
- Nigeria: EU commits N35.2b to water, sanitation, hygiene in 14 states Sun, 26Apr2015Nigeria: EU commits N35.2b to water, sanitation, hygiene in 14 states. “The states are inclusive of three northern states of Jigawa, Kano and Yobe.
- Community Water Supply and Sanitation Project Sun, 26Apr2015(KudoZ) English to Persian (Farsi) translation of Community Water Supply and Sanitation Project [Community Water Supply and Sanitation Project ...
- Administrative Assistant for Sanitation and Water for All Sun, 26Apr2015New York City, NY - Background & Rationale: Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) is a global alliance of national governments, donors, civil society ...
- MCA water sanitation project engages SA engineering firm Sun, 26Apr2015The Post - 2015-04-26. MCA water sanitation project engages SA engineering firm. 6 • HOME NEWS. By Francis Lungu. THE Millennium Challenge ...
- Many Race Against Time to Get Aid to Nepal Sun, 26Apr2015"This crisis leaves children particularly vulnerable—limited access to safe water and sanitation will put children at great risk from waterborne diseases, ...
- Nigeria: EU commits N35.2b to water, sanitation, hygiene in 14 states Sun, 26Apr2015WorldStage Newsonline-- The European Union said it has committed N35.2 billion to improve water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 14 Nigeria's ...
- Had been hired to manage a sanitation and drinking water Sun, 26Apr2015Had been hired to manage a sanitation and drinking water. On Line Co-trimoxazole Waar Te Koop Cheapest Active Synalar Online, Acheter Synalar ...
- How to Help Nepal Earthquake Victims Sun, 26Apr2015Oxfam says its team in Nepal is assessing needs and it is sending emergency food, water and sanitation supplies. "Communication is currently very ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @IrishFemgineer #thankSAll Who were yours? sumall.com/thankyou 4 days ago
- USAID WA-WASH Program organizes a training workshop on water, #sanitation and hygiene (WASH) governance in Burkina Fasohttp://ow.ly/LJ0OZ 1 week ago
- allAfrica.com: Cameroon: Red Cross Warns of Dire Humanitarian Situation Unfolding in the North of Cameroon ow.ly/LIZSm 1 week ago
- USAID WA-WASH Program organizes a training workshop on water, #sanitation and hygiene (WASH) governance in Burkina Fasohttp://ow.ly/LJ0GK 1 week ago
- Focus on Poverty: Using disgust to stop open defecation - SciDev.Net ow.ly/LIZIw #CLTS @WATSAN 1 week ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch