A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- News details Mon, 25May2015However, monitoring progress in access and service provision for the poor is carried out in less than 40% of countries for sanitation and drinking-water ...
- WaterAid urges African leaders to prioritise sanitation Mon, 25May2015The centrepiece of WASHWatch is a new interactive world map of water and sanitation, which shows predicted progress by 2030 - the target date ...
- Mining activities threaten Ghana's water MDG results Mon, 25May2015In addition to that, it makes expenditure by the Ghana Water Company ... It was commissioned by the Coalition of NGOs in Water and Sanitation ...
- Water and Sanitation Mon, 25May2015Search Results For Water and Sanitation. Bid Closing Date May 26, 2015 (Tuesday) To Nov 26, 2015 (Thursday) ...
- UN: Donor Fatigue Hits Nepal One month After Mega Earthquake Mon, 25May2015... affected by the earthquakes," said McGoldrick. "We have to make sure that there is enough materials — shelter, blankets, food, water and sanitation.
- Govt pump millions into Nooitgedacht Water Scheme Mon, 25May2015The Department of Water and Sanitation has injected R120-million to the water purification project, Nooitgedagt Water Treatment at Addo, near Port ...
- Menstrual Hygiene Management Project with Water and Sanitation Charity Mon, 25May2015Sodis are a charity focused on providing clean drinking water and access to hygiene and sanitation facilities. Their current focus is working in schools ...
- Water Supply and Sanitation Investment Program - Tranche 3 Mon, 25May2015Consultant Type FirmSelection Method Quality and Cost-Based Selection (QCBS)Source InternationalTechnical Proposal Full Technical Proposal ...
- Donor fatigue hits Nepal one month after mega earthquake, UN official says Mon, 25May2015... affected by the earthquakes,” said McGoldrick. “We have to make sure that there is enough materials - shelter, blankets, food, water and sanitation.” ...
- Super Heroes Win 2015 Watoto Wasoka Slums Football Tourney Mon, 25May2015The kids were also sensitized about WASH (Water Sanitation and Hygiene) in a program of activities that tournament organizers Watoto Wasoka ...
- RT @cawst: Read about @cawst in today's @globeandmail highlighting the importance of local empowerment in improving #wash http://t.co/cn9WU… 4 days ago
- RT @improve_intl: “#WASH and #Accountability: Explaining the Concept” from @UNDP & @UNICEF watergovernance.org 4 days ago
- RT @MENANWC: Will everyone, everywhere achieve safe #water and sanitation by 2030? @wateraid interactive map predicts http://t.co/dJTb7Ort6… 4 days ago
- RT @WASHadvocates: Over 620 organizations urge UN member states to revise the proposed #SDGs declaration to include more #WASH: http://t.co… 4 days ago
- RT @engineer4change: Join @USAID for the next in its webinar series, #WASH & Nutrition 5/26 / 10amET usaid.gov/what-we-do/wat… 4 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch