A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Planning with Water (Part 3) Mon, 02Mar2015I have suggested water as an alternative to coal, oil, and gas as a standard around which we calculate value ... consequence in terms of energy and food production, health and sanitation, employment, poverty, and regional security.
- Hot air from the budget Mon, 02Mar2015For drinking water and sanitation under the state plan, it's down 60%. It's also a measure of the government's priorities that the budgeted central ...
- Researchers at UMD finish 15-year study on preventing cholera Mon, 02Mar2015Modern water purification techniques can prevent cholera outbreaks, but it plagues areas where sanitation is limited and clean water is hard to come ...
- The Amazon Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene Project Mon, 02Mar2015The Amazon Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene Project ... improve the quality of life of the Maijuna indigenous group through a community water project.
- RBI report for trading PSL certificates, adding more sectors like renewable energy, health care Mon, 02Mar2015In addition, the report says loans to sanitation, healthcare and drinking water facilities and renewable energy will come under the PSL ambit, apart ...
- This year's Watertec Africa to take place in Midrand, Johannesburg Mon, 02Mar2015... and disposal; potable water treatment; sourcing, extracting and storage of water; sanitation; flood prevention and drainage; desalination; and more.
- Fiscal Conservatives Among the Unemployed, Part One Mon, 02Mar2015PAGOSA AREA WATER AND SANITATION District Engineer. Under general direction of the District Manager this single position classification plans, ...
- Maharashtra Minister For Water Supply And Sanitation Laxmanrao Kondiba Dhobale Address Mon, 02Mar2015maharashtra minister for water supply and sanitation Laxmanrao Kondiba Dhobale address. Maharashtra Minister For Water Supply And Sanitation ...
- Cholera Mon, 02Mar2015However, the continental canvass is currently being painted negatively in six different countries by cholera, a devastating water-and-food-borne ...
- Cholera Death Toll Now Over 40 Mon, 02Mar2015Tete city, he said, has a poor supply of drinking water, bad sanitation and high population density. “All this”, he pointed out, “can contribute to the rapid ...
- Sierra Leone News : Daru Demands for Safe Drinking Water Mon, 02Mar2015Addressing his subjects, the Paramount Chief, Musa Ngoumbu Klah Kallon said the unprecedented water and sanitation hazards required an ...
- Majakaneng Calm As Talks Continue Mon, 02Mar2015Pretoria — The Department of Water and Sanitation says the situation in Majakaneng village in the North West has returned to normality following ...
- Water and Sanitation on water delivery at Majakaneng village Mon, 02Mar2015This has been made possible due to the hands-on approach to the work by the Department of Water and Sanitation in conjunction with Magalies ...
- Why You Should Deworm Every 3 Months Mon, 02Mar2015... Nasarawa, ''Many of those affected by worms live in low-income countries and do not have access to clean water and functional sanitation systems.
- Human Right to Water and Sanitation - Action Needed from the European Commission Mon, 02Mar2015Human Right to Water and Sanitation – Action Needed from the European Commission – EPSU. Posted on 2nd March 2015 2nd March 2015 by ...
- Cholera - Exposing Underbelly of Poor Sanitation, Potable Water Supply Mon, 02Mar2015According to WaterAid Nigeria, an international non-governmental agency that tackles issues of access to water, sanitation and hygiene, about 63 ...
- Wash Services Remain a Challenge in Displacement Sites of Nsanje Mon, 02Mar2015A survey that the Department of Disaster and Management Affairs (DoDMA) has conducted has shown that Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) ...
- Ebola Outbreak - Surge Capacity - Water Sanitation Specialist Mon, 02Mar2015Ebola Outbreak - Surge Capacity - Water Sanitation Specialist - This vacancy supersedes vacancy supersedes VN AFRO/14/TA139. Worldwide.
- About Dzd 400 BNS to Relaunch Water Resources Sector in South of Country, Says Minister Mon, 02Mar2015... operations for the improvement in drinking water supply, the construction of sanitation systems and other projects related to the sector of agriculture.
- Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project Mon, 02Mar2015__count__/__total__. Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project. SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe 0 ... Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 1 week ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 3 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 3 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch