A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- A place for street people to shower Mon, 30Mar2015That's the harsh reality for thousands of South Africans who don't have access to running water. Sanitation problems have become political, with the ...
- Tetra Tech Receives $1 Bln USAID Water And Development Contract - Quick Facts Mon, 30Mar2015Tetra Tech Receives $1 Bln USAID Water And Development Contract ... to improve access to clean water and sanitation, and strengthen global food ...
- Tetra Tech Wins $1 Billion USAID Water and Development Contract Mon, 30Mar2015... to improve access to clean water and sanitation, and strengthen global food security through the sustainable management of water in agriculture.
- Senator Coleman: Access to safe drinking water remains difficult Featured Mon, 30Mar2015He observed that a “very little budgetary appropriation” has been made by the Liberian government to help improve water and sanitation situations in ...
- Water Is The Core Of Health & Sustainable Development - World Water Day Meets Technology Mon, 30Mar2015He noted that, “Water impacts all sectors, including food sustainability, sanitation, tourism ... She contends the, “Wars of next century will be over water.
- PROJECT MANAGER – WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Mon, 30Mar2015CARE is a leading relief and development non-governmental organization fighting global poverty. Established in 1945, it is now a confederation ...
- International Competitive Bidding REPUBLIC OF KENYA MINISTRY OF WATER AND IRRIGATION ... Mon, 30Mar2015LAKE VICTORIA SOUTH WATER SERVICES BOARD. Lake Victoria Water Supply and Sanitation Program, Phase II (LVWATSAN II). Financing ...
- ONE DROP's Project Odisha,India Winner Of United Nations "Water For Life" Best Practices Award Mon, 30Mar2015They generate greater awareness, community participation, cohesion and mobilization around water, sanitation and hygiene issues," she added.
- Unpacking the water and sanitation budget Mon, 30Mar2015What does slashed funding for the water and sanitation sector in this year's budget mean? Is the government's claim that the states will get more ...
- Triathlon returns to Hanningfield Reservoir for second ever event Mon, 30Mar2015... can be raised to beat last year's total – helping to bring clean drinking water, and safe sanitation and hygiene education to people around the world.
- California Drought Is Not Lifting Mon, 30Mar2015California's historic drought is increasing the pressure on water supplies, ... that reflect their concern that the state is actually running out of water. ... plan, are to be used for drinking water, sanitation, and other human health needs.
- Gender Issues in Water and Sanitation Programmes: Lessons from India Mon, 30Mar2015Buy Gender Issues in Water and Sanitation Programmes: Lessons from India at Walmart.com.
- Improper sanitation system Mon, 30Mar2015Right now the city sanitation system is in dilapidated condition. A newspapers reports say that parts of city have been receiving contaminated water as ...
- World Water Day: UNICEF Urges Commitment To Provision Of Potable Water Mon, 30Mar2015The report also said that no fewer than 6000 of them die globally every day from diarrhea diseases linked to unsafe drinking water, poor sanitation in ...
- Column: Critics Call Singapore an Autocracy, but I Felt Free There Mon, 30Mar2015But here, I soon discovered, the state maintained a high-quality water ... She is involved in a campaign to reform water and sanitation practices in Asia.
- FG to Boost IT Training for Girls, Women Mon, 30Mar2015The Minister of Water Resources, Mrs. Serah Ochekpe, restated the ... the provision of water schemes, water kiosks and public sanitation facilities to ...
- Gauteng education has master plan to fix school toilets Mon, 30Mar2015The Gauteng department of education (GDE) has a water and sanitation master plan that it is currently implementing. The aim is to integrate sanitation ...
- CDA girds up loins for dengue fight Mon, 30Mar2015He directed the sanitation, environment and water supply directorates of the authority to ensure cleanliness, maintenance of sewerage and water ...
- Let's talk about how Alaska Permanent Fund dividends can build communities Mon, 30Mar2015You get close to people when you have to talk about sanitation. I have witnessed the struggle to buy fuel, pay water treatment plant and sanitation ...
- The single biggest humanitarian crisis of our time Mon, 30Mar2015Many are living in 1,600 informal camps, lacking basic water and sanitation facilities. More than 8,000 children have been separated from their families ...
- RT @robwaugh83: BBC News - 'Water man of India' Rajendra Singh bags top prize #water #wash #watsan @busogatrust bbc.co.uk/news/science-e… 2 days ago
- RT @kyoobi: Ghana Watsan Journalists Network identify challenges to water distribution in Accra lnkd.in/b38bFYi 2 days ago
- RT @slattof: World water day: how the poor pay more in #WestAfrica – in pictures buff.ly/1DQv3EE #watsan #intdev #Mali 2 days ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: Join me to #BoycottIndiana . Show Gov. #Pence we won't stand for bigotry in the name of religion. 2 days ago
- RT @TechExLab: AquaPlates from @3M are designed for easier testing of microbes in #water. bit.ly/AquaPlates-TEL #watsan http://t.co/8eoVeF… 1 week ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch