A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- Telecoms drive Rwanda cashless Sun, 24May2015... which is also a way of supporting the Water and Sanitation Corporation (WASAC) by easing the previously tedious system of having people queue ...
- Haiti - Reconstruction : Things are moving in the commune of Bizoton Sun, 24May2015... Weak of Haiti (FCPFH), has launched the project "drinking water supply and sanitation in the localities of Fonds-Brache, Grand Caille and Bel-Air", ...
- Water Supply And Sanitation In The United States Sun, 24May2015Although India is set to become water scarce country by 2025 due to demand-supply mis-match, the water sector is expected to see investment of USD ...
- Guidance manual on water supply and sanitation programmes Sun, 24May2015Guidance manual on water supply and sanitation programmes. DRM copy protection is great as an anti-piracy technology, but it often punishes ...
- The IBNET Water Supply and Sanitation Blue Book 2014 Sun, 24May2015The IBNET Water Supply and Sanitation Blue Book 2014: The International Benchmarking Network for Water and Sanitation Utilitie. Price: US $6.99 / ...
- Students' eco-themed artwork displayed by more town trucks Sun, 24May2015As part of National Public Works Week, the Town unveiled new artwork on the side of the two sanitation trucks. For the second year, two students from ...
- Cuts in Funds, Murder of Democracy Feature Modi Government: Congress Sun, 24May2015"Another feature of this government is brutal cuts in funds-education, health, sanitation and drinking water, agriculture and women and child welfare, ...
- Doctors clean Patna's roads as part of a nationwide cleanliness drive organized by Alkem ... Sun, 24May2015Doctors clean Patna's roads as part of a nationwide cleanliness drive organized by Alkem Laboratories. Seetha Gopalakrishnan. Sunday, May 24 ...
- Sanitation Sun, 24May2015Water #upply and #anitation. • n'site sanitation ' the collection and treatment of waste is done where it is deposited. 37amples are the use of pit latrines ...
- Nepal: First-hand account from Canadian aid workers Sun, 24May2015... million children affected now by two earthquakes in Nepal through our emergency health, nutrition, child protection, water, sanitation and education.
- Internship Sun, 24May2015The goal of the SWASH (Sanitation of Water Air and Soil for Healthy Villages) project is to create a clean and healthy environment for the local ...
- Beauty Sanitation Sun, 24May2015Posts about Beauty Sanitation written by Prissy. ... Here's how to clean them once your water is at the correct temperature: Wet the soap; Wet the brush ...
- Meeting of KOICA, KAAP held Sun, 24May2015In Pakistan, KOICA activities have focused on the vocational skills development, education, health, water and sanitation related sectors. For instance ...
- With Crowdfunding, Nepal Has Helping Hands Across The World Sun, 24May2015The Oxfam team found the region devastated and now provides provisions for shelter, water supplies and sanitation facilities to help the villagers get ...
- Wasa plans to run tubewells 18 hours Sun, 24May2015LAHORE: The Water and Sanitation Agency (Wasa) has decided to run tubewells for 18 hours daily. “As complaints about water shortage are rising, ...
- Yelagiri Gears up for Annual Summer Fest Sun, 24May2015Special transport facilities will be provided to the venue, while drinking water, sanitation, power supply, security will be given top priority.
- Chirakkal pond to supply drinking water Sun, 24May2015Noting that 55 schools in the district had no toilets and many schools had only limited sanitation amenities, she said that in the next year, the priority ...
- Khattak orders finalisation of industrial policy within a week Sat, 23May2015The meeting reviewed in detail the cleanliness condition of roads and streets, collection and disposal of solid waste, sanitation and drinking water ...
- Water Problems in Ethiopia Sat, 23May2015Wateraid uk - work, Wateraid is an international charity working in 27 countries worldwide, with a focus on bringing clean and safe water, sanitation ...
- MSABI project boosts health in Africa Sat, 23May2015"Within six years of operations MSABI has emerged as a leader in the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sector within Tanzania," he said.
- RT @cawst: Read about @cawst in today's @globeandmail highlighting the importance of local empowerment in improving #wash http://t.co/cn9WU… 2 days ago
- RT @improve_intl: “#WASH and #Accountability: Explaining the Concept” from @UNDP & @UNICEF watergovernance.org 2 days ago
- RT @MENANWC: Will everyone, everywhere achieve safe #water and sanitation by 2030? @wateraid interactive map predicts http://t.co/dJTb7Ort6… 2 days ago
- RT @WASHadvocates: Over 620 organizations urge UN member states to revise the proposed #SDGs declaration to include more #WASH: http://t.co… 2 days ago
- RT @engineer4change: Join @USAID for the next in its webinar series, #WASH & Nutrition 5/26 / 10amET usaid.gov/what-we-do/wat… 2 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch