A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- Communities Learn to Maintain Water Systems Wed, 01Apr2015Communities Learn to Maintain Water Systems ... from all non-government organisations working in rural water, sanitation and hygiene (RWASH) in ...
- Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project-Additional Financing Wed, 01Apr2015Borrower/Bid No: ICB-1-09/1Invitation for Bids INVITATION FOR BIDS Date: 1 April 2015 Loan No. and Title: 2860-ARM: Water Supply and Sanitation ...
- Engineering students need broader perspective, their peers say Wed, 01Apr2015... access to drinking water and sanitation, better solar production of electricity, carbon sequestration, engineering better medicines and more).
- Group urges youths inclusion in govt's water, sanitation projects Wed, 01Apr2015Mr Nature Obiakor, National Coordinator, Youth Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (YouthWASH), has called for inclusion of youths in governments' ...
- Erie Says No to Water Slide Wed, 01Apr2015Earlier this week it was reported that a giant slip and slide water slide was planning to come to the City of Erie this summer. But, apparently this isn't ...
- Director of Marketing & Public Engagement Wed, 01Apr2015One of the world's leading NGOs, WaterAid transforms lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest ...
- Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project-Additional Financing Wed, 01Apr2015Date: 1 April 2015. Loan No. and Title: 2860-ARM: Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project-Additional Financing Contract No. and Title: ICB-1-09/1 ...
- Water and Sanitation Development Facility Wed, 01Apr20151. The Ministry of Water and Environment through Water and Sanitation Development Facility- South Western Branch has secured funds from the ...
- Loan No. 2860-ARM: Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project-Additional Financing Wed, 01Apr20152860-ARM: Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project-Additional Financing [ICB1-9/1]. Project Number: 45299-001. Countries: Armenia. Main Files:.
- Cigna Foundation Taps Water For People as Recipient of World of Difference Grant Wed, 01Apr2015Water For People, headquartered in Denver , supports the development of locally sustainable drinking water resources, sanitation facilities, and ...
- Metro Manila Water and Sanitation Development Project - 1 PPTA Consultant Wed, 01Apr2015Metro Manila Water and Sanitation Development Project - 1 PPTA Consultant (48173-001). Funded by Asian Development Bank - ADB. Location ...
- Water Is Life; We Can't Afford To Waste It Wed, 01Apr2015You could probably survive a few weeks without water for cooking. ... But most people won't live for more than three days without water to drink. It makes ... At the policy level, better supply and sanitation infrastructure and improved ...
- WaterAid named #1 water, sanitation & hygiene charity Wed, 01Apr2015WaterAid has been ranked the world's best non-profit organisation working on water, sanitation and hygiene issues by Philanthropedia.
- How Do Sanitation and Clean Water Affect Flu Rate? Wed, 01Apr2015Continuing to evaluate the data points surrounding the factors that lead to flu outbreaks, this video reviews the data points of sanitation and clean ...
- Taking Stock: Skewed Priorities Of The Government's Budget Wed, 01Apr2015The strongest disdain appears to be for the key social infrastructure sectors of health, women and child development, drinking water and sanitation, ...
- WaterAid named #1 water, sanitation & hygiene charity Wed, 01Apr2015WaterAid has been ranked the world's best non-profit organisation working on water, sanitation and hygiene issues by Philanthropedia… …read more.
- Grad students educate the people of Cameroon on clean water and proper sanitation Wed, 01Apr2015The annual competition organized by the USC Institute for Global Health featured a challenge addressing the social impact of global giving programs ...
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP) Wed, 01Apr2015Though substantial progress have been made, over 2 billion people still lack access to adequate water and sanitation facilities, especially in ...
- Survey of the Cumulative Impact of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Wed, 01Apr2015To coincide with World Water Day last month, World Vision and KPMG released their report, Survey of the cumulative impact of water, sanitation and ...
- Spirituality and the seventh goal Wed, 01Apr2015Its goal was to halve, by this year, the number of people in the world without access to sanitation and safe drinking water. When they were first rolled ...
- RT @robwaugh83: BBC News - 'Water man of India' Rajendra Singh bags top prize #water #wash #watsan @busogatrust bbc.co.uk/news/science-e… 5 days ago
- RT @kyoobi: Ghana Watsan Journalists Network identify challenges to water distribution in Accra lnkd.in/b38bFYi 5 days ago
- RT @slattof: World water day: how the poor pay more in #WestAfrica – in pictures buff.ly/1DQv3EE #watsan #intdev #Mali 5 days ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: Join me to #BoycottIndiana . Show Gov. #Pence we won't stand for bigotry in the name of religion. 5 days ago
- RT @TechExLab: AquaPlates from @3M are designed for easier testing of microbes in #water. bit.ly/AquaPlates-TEL #watsan http://t.co/8eoVeF… 2 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch