A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Over 16000 Habitations Hit by Water Contamination: Health Minister JP Nadda Fri, 27Feb2015... affected by arsenic," Mr Nadda said in Lok Sabha during Question Hour, citing information provided by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- Central African Republic refugees and host community struggle to survive in northern DRC Fri, 27Feb2015Available supplies of food and drinking water must be divided among an ... Sanitation and drinkable water are also major problems in the area.
- Indonesia: Water Operators Partnerships Workshop on Wastewater and Sanitation Management Fri, 27Feb2015The workshop is organized by ADB in cooperation with Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene, Australian AID, Direktorat Jenderal Cipta ...
- Water and Sanitation Department Fri, 27Feb2015Tags: cast-iron manhole covers, city of cape town, Ernest Sonnenberg, featured, Metal thieves, plastic and ductile-iron covers, Water and Sanitation ...
- Construction & Renovation Of Water And Sanitation Facilities In Nairobi Primary Schools Fri, 27Feb2015This is a tender titled CONSTRUCTION & RENOVATION OF WATER AND SANITATION FACILITIES IN NAIROBI PRIMARY SCHOOLS from SAVE ...
- Prepaid Water Meters: Unfair To Customers? Fri, 27Feb2015"Residents currently pay water consumption charges at the end of each ... Zimbabwe is currently undergoing a water and sanitation crisis, according to ...
- Kenya's Debt to Germany Hits Sh170.8 Billion Fri, 27Feb2015Another Sh892 million will finance the development of the water and sanitation sector via the water sector trust fund phase three, Sh3.15 million for ...
- Chief of Party, Uganda Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Program Fri, 27Feb2015Chief of Party, Uganda Water, Sanitation and Hygiene ProgramSNV is a non-profit, international development organization founded nearly 50 years ...
- We can't do without the West: Mnangagwa Fri, 27Feb2015AfDB allocated $43,1 million to the Zimfund Phase I of the urgent water supply and sanitation rehabilitation project, which was designed to cover ...
- Typhoon Hagupit in the Philippines - Water, Sanitation, Hygiene, and Livelihoods Fri, 27Feb2015Typhoon Hagupit in the Philippines - Water, Sanitation, Hygiene, and Livelihoods - Oxfam 2014. Funded by Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and ...
- News Fri, 27Feb2015On average, 40 percent of these water systems stop working just a few ... deserve to have high-quality water and sanitation services, not just for life, ...
- Majuba water outage proceeding well Fri, 27Feb2015... the bulk water pipeline supplying Kriel in Emalahleni Local Municipality was under way and proceeding according to plan, the water and sanitation ...
- Lusaka Water and Sewerage studies sanitation project feasibility Fri, 27Feb2015The Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company (LWSC) has started conducting feasibility studies for the Lusaka sanitation project which will cost 208 ...
- Report: Ohio River most polluted body of water in nation Fri, 27Feb2015Although the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission, or ORSANCO, says the number of chemicals is alarming, it's not as extreme as it may ...
- COMPANY COMMENT: Brimstone; Cuban engineers Fri, 27Feb2015... is less than charmed by Water and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokonyane's ... water utility in Africa" on behalf of eThekwini Water and Sanitation.
- The Sustainable Development Goal's for water and sanitation Fri, 27Feb2015Title, The Sustainable Development Goal's for water and sanitation; what is new? What is different? Publication Type, Conference Paper.
- Changes coming in sanitation sticker program Fri, 27Feb2015New sanitation stickers will be lime green and will replace the orange ... 13: Pianos, stoves, refrigerators (doors must be removed), water heaters, trash ...
- Bush Caucus hears need for water, sewer work in rural Alaska Fri, 27Feb2015The House's Bush Caucus heard an update Thursday on rural sanitation ... For water treatment in Akhiok, the consortium built a modular plant in two ...
- Half of MLA funds to be wiped clean? Fri, 27Feb2015... is considering making it mandatory for state legislators to spent 50 per cent of the fund allocated to them on sanitation and water supply schemes.
- Training Camp on Sanitation Fri, 27Feb2015BHUBANESWAR: A State-level training programme on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) was organised by Inter Agency Group (IAG), Odisha ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 1 week ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 3 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 3 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch