A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- bjp-sukhminderpal-singh Mon, 02Mar2015Ludhiana : 1 March 2015 - National Secretary BJP Kisan Morcha and Prabhari Himachal Pradesh, Advocate Sukhminderpal Singh Grewal has ...
- SA engineers condemn hiring of Cubans for water projects Mon, 02Mar2015Earlier this month Water Affairs and Sanitation Minister Nomvula ... SA and Cuba concluded last year for co-operation in water resources management ...
- Out of Rs365b environmental degradation loss, pollution causes Rs132b to national economy ... Mon, 02Mar2015He detailed that out of Rs365 billion losses, inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene account for Rs112 billion, agricultural soil degradation ...
- Rural Water Supply and Sanitation in Nicaragua: Vehicle Acquisition for New Operation Monitoring Mon, 02Mar2015Funded by: World Bank - WB Project ID: P106283Borrower/Bid No: PRASNICA-1031-LPN-019433 Nicaragua FINANCIAMIENTO ADICONAL PARA ...
- Bangalore Water Supply and Sanitation Board Recruitment Notification Mon, 02Mar2015.radﬁ>C'5/TE', F€~: 22945|02. Phone/ Fax : 22945102 aforwhacia (Dede ﬁdaooazao 6331347 ugfzidoa woowé BANGALORE WATER SUPPLY AND ...
- Water Cooler Sanitation Specialist & Relief Driver Mon, 02Mar2015Water Cooler Sanitation Specialist & Relief Driver. We are a 10 year old company with a fantastic friendly culture seeking an exceptionally dedicated ...
- Neglected diseases Mon, 02Mar2015... preventive chemotherapy; vector ecology and management; veterinary public health services and provision of safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Syria Refugees Face Lebanon Sanitation Issues Mon, 02Mar2015Syria Refugees Face Lebanon Sanitation Issues music downloads, Syria Refugees ... Water And Sanitation Project For Syrian Refugees In Lebanon.
- RAFIU FISHBONE - Rural and Urban Water Issues in Africa Mon, 02Mar2015The situation of access to clean water and sanitation in rural Africa is even more dismal than the previous statistics imply. The WHO (2006) stated that, ...
- Labour and Lagos at war over planned privatization of water supply Mon, 02Mar2015There is therefore, a global water crisis of epic proportions. ... to implement the human right to water and sanitation, to invest our common resources in ...
- Humongous Cut in Govt Social Sector Spending Mon, 02Mar2015... the Budget made various social sector ministries, including agriculture, drinking water and sanitation, panchayati raj, water resources and women ...
- Bumper crop of potholes popping up all over town Mon, 02Mar2015But Kingsport's Streets and Sanitation Department has been working to fill the potholes since the storm hit last week, ... potholes are essentially formed when water seeps into the cracks and curb lines of streets, then freezing occurs ...
- Learn new technologies, students told Mon, 02Mar2015... basic amenities such as clean environment and sanitation, water supply, road, infrastructure, food and clothing, housing, energy, frugal engineering, ...
- 'All efforts being made to check environmental degradation' Sun, 01Mar2015Giving break-up of the losses, he said that of Rs365 billion losses, inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene account for Rs112 billion, ...
- Thoughtful giving should be more than handing it over Sun, 01Mar2015"If what we were doing was working so well, we wouldn't have 2 to 3 billion people without access to basic sanitation and water," he writes. Buffett has ...
- 463 villages in West Khasi Hills without sanitation facilities Sun, 01Mar2015District Water & Sanitation Mission (DWSM), West Khasi Hills in collaboration with World Bank WSP & Feedback Foundation concluded here on ...
- Enough water in Cauvery, but not a drop for 110 villages Sun, 01Mar2015Sufficient Cauvery water is said to be available for supply to the City ... these villages do not have any infrastructure for water supply or sanitation, ...
- Water & Sanitation Specialist, Hanoi, Vietnam Sun, 01Mar2015There are acute challenges relating to water resources management, irrigation, urban/rural water supply and sanitation. It is encouraging to note that ...
- Solar bio-toilets in 4 slums soon Sun, 01Mar2015He presented the bio-toilet model first at Indovation 2015, organised by Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, last month following which he got ...
- Shaikh Mohammed forms UAE Water Aid Foundation Sun, 01Mar2015The new foundation is tasked with finding sustainable solutions to water ... to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world's poorest communities.
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 1 week ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 3 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 3 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch