A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Chetopa changes trash schedule Sat, 23May2015CHETOPA — The city of Chetopa will switch to a once-weekly sanitation ... Agreed to send forms with the annual water forms about storm shelters in ...
- Rotary Club continues legacy of helping in Honduras Sat, 23May2015However, Rotary International is still there assisting with community and economic development, water and sanitation, and disease prevention and ...
- Small Jazan town struggles with piling garbage Fri, 22May2015... and services including garbage collection only once a week, a poor sanitation network and inadequate pumping of fresh water to their homes.
- Egypt Nile water pollution on the rise Fri, 22May2015In most of the Delta villages there is high population density and weak sanitation services — or lack thereof. The use of untreated water for irrigation is ...
- Cholera outbreak claims lives of 29 Burundian refugees: UNHCR Fri, 22May2015The spokesman said preventive safeguard measures to provide clean water and sanitation were essential, and the first two days of medical treatment ...
- Senior Financial and Administrative Manager - Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Fri, 22May2015This 5-year, $50 million program is focused on improving lives and health through development and management of sustainable water, sanitation, and ...
- News Archives Fri, 22May2015Tens of thousands of health facilities worldwide are in need of water, sanitation, and hygiene services to improve maternal and child health, infection ...
- OOSKAnews - Global Water News Fri, 22May2015Poor Access to Sanitation Violates Basic Human Rights: Ramaphosa When people are denied access to sanitation, they are also denied other basic ...
- Mokonyane launches mobile toilet project Fri, 22May2015The Department of Water and Sanitation has declared May Sanitation and Hygiene Month in line with this. Minister Nomvula Mokonyane today ...
- Church news Fri, 22May2015... will present her research and teaching on sanitation and water issues at 2 p.m. May 31 at First Presbyterian Church, 104 N. 10th St., Norfolk, Neb.
- SDG for water and sanitation must have measurable goals Fri, 22May2015Advocates attending next week's United Nations General Assembly hearings on the Sustainable Development Goals want to ensure that the SDG ...
- Sustainability study shows that women consume more energy Fri, 22May2015Also, they are usually more involved in water heating activities, including taking longer showers, which consume significant amounts of gas. ... at a calendar from the World Bank Water and Sanitation Program that depicted truths and ...
- CONIWAS at AfricaSan 4 2015 Fri, 22May2015Benjamin and CONIWAS hopes to use the upcoming event to strongly advocate for persons without access to improved water, sanitation and hygiene ...
- City Council ponders tax, rate hikes Fri, 22May2015The last time sanitation rates were raised was in 2002. The city recently raised water rates and the next rate increase is scheduled for February 2016.
- Iraq: Unimpeded access key to reaching victims of fighting in Ramadi Fri, 22May2015This is because of the poor sanitation, inadequate shelter, and a lack of clean water and access to health care," said Nesrine Ben Ahmed, responsible ...
- Cholera strikes Burundian refugees in Tanzania Fri, 22May2015Oxfam is responding by providing clean drinking water and educating people ... were sent, in addition to supplies of water, food and sanitation support.
- Postal Service Agrees To Pooler Zip Code Change Fri, 22May2015After three years of lobbying by the city of Savannah, the U.S. Postal Service has agreed to change the zip code of residents living in and around The ...
- Hill tribe sanitation and water supply project Fri, 22May2015Water-borne diseases and sicknesses related to low sanitation mortality is the highest and it is 85% of all cases seen in the village clinics. Water is ...
- Postal Service agrees to switch Highlands community addresses Fri, 22May2015This caused confusion when unsuspecting residents attempted to request sanitation, water, sewer and other services. Residents calling 911 ...
- Open Letter from PAWSD President Mike Church Fri, 22May2015[EDITOR'S NOTE: This letter originally appeared in the May 2015 Pagosa Area Water and Sanitation District (PAWSD) newsletter. Reprinted with ...
- RT @cawst: Read about @cawst in today's @globeandmail highlighting the importance of local empowerment in improving #wash http://t.co/cn9WU… 1 day ago
- RT @improve_intl: “#WASH and #Accountability: Explaining the Concept” from @UNDP & @UNICEF watergovernance.org 1 day ago
- RT @MENANWC: Will everyone, everywhere achieve safe #water and sanitation by 2030? @wateraid interactive map predicts http://t.co/dJTb7Ort6… 1 day ago
- RT @WASHadvocates: Over 620 organizations urge UN member states to revise the proposed #SDGs declaration to include more #WASH: http://t.co… 1 day ago
- RT @engineer4change: Join @USAID for the next in its webinar series, #WASH & Nutrition 5/26 / 10amET usaid.gov/what-we-do/wat… 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch