A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Water & Sanitation Management Organization Thu, 05Mar2015Job Description for the post of Co - ordinator in Water & Sanitation Management Organization in Gandhinagar for -1 to -1 years of experience.
- Austrian Embassy Development Cooperation Jobs - Programme Officer Water & Sanitation Thu, 05Mar2015Job Summary: The ADC Programme Officer Water & Sanitation will have responsibilities that include the overall management of the Water and ...
- Kenya, UN Agree to 3-Year, $182.2m Development Plan for Turkana Thu, 05Mar2015“The UN has projected to invest in health, agriculture, environmental management, human rights, water, sanitation and education,” according to the ...
- University installs prototype 'pee power' toilet Thu, 05Mar2015Andy Bastable, Head of Water and Sanitation at Oxfam, commented: “Oxfam is an expert at providing sanitation in disaster zones, and it is always a ...
- Punjab CM's home district fares poorly in water quality Thu, 05Mar2015While in urban areas water supply is handled by the local municipal bodies, in villages it is managed by rural water supply and sanitation department.
- Mexico's House Poised to Back Water Privatization Bill Thu, 05Mar2015Two committees of Mexico's lower house approved a new water bill ... of the joint Committee on Water and Sanitation, and Water Resources of the ...
- MSF Switzerland Water Hygiene and Sanitation Supervisor Job in Dadaab Kenya Thu, 05Mar2015Job Title: Water Hygiene and Sanitation Supervisor. Location: Dadaab project – Dagahaley. Start date: ASAP. Length of contract: 12 months with ...
- MSF Switzerland Water Hygiene and Sanitation Supervisor Job in Dadaab Kenya Thu, 05Mar2015Job Title: Water Hygiene and Sanitation Supervisor Location: Dadaab project – Dagahaley Start date: ASAP Length of contract: 12 months with ...
- Many lives will be changed Thu, 05Mar2015According to Water.org, a nonprofit organization working to provide safe drinking water and sanitation around the world, more than 750 million people ...
- MC Council OKs budget by 5-1 vote Thu, 05Mar2015One of the other options was to eliminate two Sanitation Department ... The budget has a 2 percent increase in the water fee and a 20-cent a month ...
- 8 cholera cases recorded countrywide Thu, 05Mar2015Minister Cde Parirenyatwa said cholera thrived well in poor sanitation hence the ... The DA called on people to always boil water for domestic use and ...
- Sanitation Thu, 05Mar2015Gaetulians Sanitation Buildings : The town waterworks chain increases province-wide sanitation, public order, and growth, by providing better water ...
- Charity hope for 'pee-power' toilet Thu, 05Mar2015Andy Bastable, head of water and sanitation at Oxfam, said: "Oxfam is an expert at providing sanitation in disaster zones, and it is always a challenge ...
- Rs. 12.97-crore plan to tackle water crisis Thu, 05Mar2015Executive Engineer of the newly formed Karnataka Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Department B. Manjunath said that as per a department survey, ...
- UDUS JCI holds awareness programme on water preservation Wed, 04Mar2015... Sokoto (UDUS), on Sunday, embarked on environmental sanitation programme tagged: 'Water Preservation, Healthy Living and Toilet Management ...
- WHO intensify support to prevent cholera in Malawi floods camps Wed, 04Mar2015“Health promotion and Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) interventions are being intensified through the district health management teams and ...
- Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project - Additional Financing Wed, 04Mar2015The Republic of Armenia has received financing from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) towards the cost of2860-ARM: Water Supply and Sanitation ...
- EIB - Technical Assistance to the Zambia Water and Sanitation Project Wed, 04Mar2015EIB - Technical Assistance to the Zambia Water and Sanitation Project. Funded by European Investment Bank - EIB. Location Zambia. Status.
- Displaced Zimbabweans still waiting for promised government compensation a year later Wed, 04Mar2015She says poor water quality is also a problem. Salty water ... They do not access to adequate food, shelter sanitation and portable water. So this is ...
- water, environment and sanitation - water, environment and sanitation Wed, 04Mar2015Water, Environment and Sanitation Technical Guidelines No. 7. A publication of UNICEF/Programme. The PK-2 Water and Sanitation unit has been ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 4 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 4 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 1 month ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch