A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- International standard rating launched for water sector Wed, 04Mar2015Called AquaRating, the new agency aims to help water and sanitation utilities worldwide to work towards management and performance improvement ...
- Remote sensing centre to zero-in on water sources in Maha Wed, 04Mar2015The government has given approval for a memorandum of understanding between MRSAC and the Belapur-based Water and Sanitation Institute, ...
- Minister Urges Change of Mindset to Realize Human Right to Water and Sanitation Wed, 04Mar2015While addressing the participants, Leo Heller, UN Special Rapporteur for the Human Right to Water and Sanitation called for deference and ...
- Volunteer - Water Sanitation Menstrual Hygiene And Girls Education Awareness Project-India Wed, 04Mar2015We are actively working in Sanitation , Water and Girl Education Awareness Project where we are creating awareness among the rural and urban ...
- Remote Global Water Sanitation and Hygiene Specialist in Portland Wed, 04Mar2015A global aid agency engaged in transitional environments needs applicants for an opening for a Telework Global Water Sanitation and Hygiene ...
- AquaRating, the world's first water rating agency Wed, 04Mar2015AquaRating assesses water and sanitation services providers according to three dimensions: performance indicators, best practices and information ...
- If u want to build ur career in Odisha Water Sanitation Mission Cuttack & Jagatsinghpur, Then I am ... Wed, 04Mar2015Placement - Recruitment Agencies jobs in Cuttack - Organisation- Odisha Water Sanitation Mission Cuttack & Jagatsinghpur, Place of posting- All block of ...
- The Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Sub-Consultation Week 2 Wed, 04Mar2015Over the course of 5 weeks (14 January to 17 February), the Stream on Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) will lay out weekly related topics with ...
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Field Officer Wed, 04Mar2015Position Title: Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Field Officer - Kratie Duty Station: Snoul, Kratie Province Reports To: Project Coordinator Job Summary
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene: Preventing Illness Around the World. Wed, 04Mar2015When the acronym WASH is used in discussing international development it means increasing access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. It might be ...
- Sydney tops Australia for living standards Wed, 04Mar2015The survey analysed dozens of living standard factors including crime, health, water sanitation, climate, infrastructure, transport, political stability and ...
- Water level recedes in Leh Wed, 04Mar2015Talking to APP, Managing Director Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA) Raja Shaukat Mehmmnood said that rainwater submerged in low-lying areas ...
- Sanitation District board plans to make it official Wed, 04Mar2015State water quality regulators have required the Sanitation District to reduce chloride in river water to 100 milligrams per liter, a level demanded by ...
- Making investment in water & sanitation not just has moral case but economic as well Wed, 04Mar2015(2015) Going beyond horizontal equity: An analysis of health expenditure allocation across geographic areas in Mozambique. Social science ...
- Assisting district authorities to improve access to water and sanitation in rural Tanzania Wed, 04Mar2015Access to water and sanitation in rural areas calls for more than a technical fix. Policymakers nowadays increasingly abhor the notion that top-down ...
- We need to push ecological sanitation - Swiss Sustainability Prize Wed, 04Mar2015Clean sanitation is not accessible for 2.5 billion people worldwide. More people die from water born diseases than Aids, malaria, and measles ...
- Electrolyzed Oxidized Water (EOW) and Organic Status Wed, 04Mar2015Electrolyzed Oxidized Water (EOW) and Organic Status - posted in Cleaning, Sanitation & Waste Management: hi all, I wanted to ask if anyone has ...
- Sanitation a Matter of Concern Wed, 04Mar2015The current practice is to divert the collected septage waste into sucking machines to a manhole or to the water bodies which would cause serious ...
- Japan contributes $1.11 to enhance IOM operations in Darfur Wed, 04Mar2015In 2014, IOM improved access and utilization of basic services on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and health for new IDPs who fled from the ...
- Budget leaves poor in the lurch: IMA Wed, 04Mar2015Though the allocation for improving the social determinants of health such as sanitation, water supply and the welfare of women and children had ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 1 week ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 4 weeks ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 4 weeks ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch