A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- JICA to continue supporting the improvement of the water and sanitation project in Lusaka Tue, 21Apr2015Chikwanda stated that the request to participate in the water and sanitation improvement in Lusaka was timely because the project undertaken by the ...
- Introduction of Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) project in Western Province Tue, 21Apr2015Regional News/Introduction of Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) project ... The Western Pacific Sanitation Marketing and Innovation, a Program ...
- 2.5 million rural persons now access safe water – UNICEF Tue, 21Apr2015The United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) has said though Nigeria is not on track to achieving the MDG water and sanitation targets, 2.5 million ...
- Islam And Sanitation ……. My Take! Tue, 21Apr2015And the single most important issue referred to is Sanitation. ... cleansed shall wash his clothes, and shave off all his hair, and wash himself in water, ...
- A Severe Lack of Clean Water Is Killing Indigenous Children in Colombia Tue, 21Apr2015In 2007, the World Bank approved a $90 million loan for the stated purpose of providing water and sanitation service to people in La Guajira.
- Should litter control officers carry guns? County Council discusses issue Tue, 21Apr2015A few weeks ago, Berkeley County Water and Sanitation Executive Director Doug Smits asked his four gun-carrying officers to turn in their weapons ...
- Tent City prompts water contamination concerns Tue, 21Apr2015A stream is also in the area, and sanitation has been added to a growing list of concerns for some. ... Not like, never towards the water," she said.
- Fearing for the worse Tue, 21Apr2015Mahesi Mahato, sub-division head of the district's drinking water and sanitation project, says that there has been little improvement, if any, in areas of ...
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all Tue, 21Apr2015Page 1. WORLD. WATER. DAY 2015. WATER AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT. 22 MARCH.
- Review Macerator Sanitation Water Marine Toilet Online Tue, 21Apr2015Shop Low prices on: Macerator Sanitation Water Marine Toilet.Shop detailed product information for Macerator Sanitation Water Marine Toilet with ...
- Consulting Water Supply and Sanitation in Rayon Cahul, Moldova Tue, 21Apr2015Apr 21, 2015. Consulting Water Supply and Sanitation in Rayon Cahul, Moldova International Open Tender Deadline: Jun 03, 2015. Country: Moldova
- Budget Cut to Have Adverse Effects on Water, Sanitation Schemes Tue, 21Apr2015Parliamentary panel expressed concern over cuts in budgetary allocation of Drinking Water and Sanitation ministry which will have an 'adverse' ...
- Ground water on the decline Tue, 21Apr2015Ground water is on the decline in certain parts of La Plata County, and more infrastructure is needed to bring water to ... of Public Health and Environment, water and sanitation districts and the Colorado Oil and Gas Commission.
- State: A third of county wells dry, dirty Tue, 21Apr2015La Plata County may have enough water to supply both municipal and ... water and sanitation districts and the Colorado Oil and Gas Commission.
- From Sewage to Sanitation on Trains, Via this Reactor Tue, 21Apr2015CHENNAI: Chennai Metro Water now has the technology to convert raw sewage into drinking water but the agency will be using the technology to ...
- World Water Day 2015 Resource and Information Education Communication Mon, 20Apr2015Home > Water Services > Water Supply, Sanitation & Hygiene > World Water Day > World Water Day 2015 Resource and Information Education ...
- Sanitation Jobs In Vail, Co Mon, 20Apr2015Vail, CO Management jobs & employment: … Asset Management Coordinator The Eagle River Water and Sanitation District is currently enhancing, …
- Water & Sanitation included Mon, 20Apr20152 Bedroom 1 Bath mobile homes for rent at Courtyard, 1105 East 1st Street Russelville, KY. $425 per month water and sanitation are included.
- Atlas Copco Raises $31000 for Non-Profit Clean Water Charity Mon, 20Apr2015In the past four years, the Atlas Copco USA Water for All initiative has helped more than 10,000 people gain access to clean water and sanitation. and ...
- Mpika chiefs get piped water Mon, 20Apr2015THE Rural Water and Sanitation Programme has connected all nine chiefs' palaces in Mpika district to piped water, council secretary Kabombo ...
- USAID WA-WASH Program organizes a training workshop on water, #sanitation and hygiene (WASH) governance in Burkina Fasohttp://ow.ly/LJ0OZ 3 days ago
- allAfrica.com: Cameroon: Red Cross Warns of Dire Humanitarian Situation Unfolding in the North of Cameroon ow.ly/LIZSm 3 days ago
- USAID WA-WASH Program organizes a training workshop on water, #sanitation and hygiene (WASH) governance in Burkina Fasohttp://ow.ly/LJ0GK 3 days ago
- Focus on Poverty: Using disgust to stop open defecation - SciDev.Net ow.ly/LIZIw #CLTS @WATSAN 3 days ago
- New Study Predicts Murky Future for Global Water Quality -- Environmental Protection ow.ly/LJ0xC #watersecurity 3 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch