TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Nonprofit charity: water makes a splash Thu, 05Mar2015According to charity: water's website, 3.6 percent of global disease can be prevented by improving water supply, sanitation and hygiene. The world's ...
- Paraná mapping out 50-year water, sanitation plan Thu, 05Mar2015Award-winning and trusted the world over, Business News Americas is the only English and Spanish business intelligence resource for project , news ...
- DAI Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Programs Jobs in Kenya Thu, 05Mar2015DAI Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Programs Jobs in Kenya. Call for Resumes: DAI, a global consulting firm based in the United States, ...
- Running for running water Thu, 05Mar2015Wendell is co-founder and a leading team member of Activewater whose mission is to provide thousands of people with safe water, sanitation and ...
- Researchers Teaming With Oxfam To Develop Toilet That Uses Urine To Generate Electricity Thu, 05Mar2015“Oxfam is an expert at providing sanitation in disaster zones, and it is ... says Andy Bastable, Head of Water and Sanitation at Oxfam in the release.
- University's 'pee power' toilet turns urine into electricity Thu, 05Mar2015Andy Bastable, head of water and sanitation at Oxfam, said the toilets could ... "Oxfam is an expert at providing sanitation in disaster zones, and it is ...
- Villages will be supplied piped water: Birender Singh Thu, 05Mar2015Villages where there is no water supply and inadequate groundwater will get water from rivers through pipelines, the Minister for Sanitation and ...
- Liberia discharges 'last Ebola patient' from medical care Thu, 05Mar2015... this is when we get accidents,” said Ivan Quentin, a water and sanitation expert with international medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF).
- ACCESS TO WATER AND SANITATION Thu, 05Mar2015World Social Forum – Tunisia 2015. Date: March 24th - 28th; Place: Tunis; Manages: World Social Forum - Tunisia 2015. Tags: Subjects: ACCESS TO ...
- AFP to end offensive vs BIFF by weekend Thu, 05Mar2015ICRC said displaced families need food, clean water and access to sanitation. All injured or sick people, regardless of their religion, ethnic group, ...
- Related Notices Thu, 05Mar2015Construction / Rehabilitation Of Water Supply & Sanitation Schemes In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Adp No.129/140641, 1) Ws Scheme Samo Dara, 2) Ws ...
- Punjab Rural Water and Sanitation Sector Improvement Project Thu, 05Mar2015On March 24, 2015, the Punjab Rural Water and Sanitation Sector Improvement Project is scheduled to be discussed and decided on by the World ...
- 9 Clever Fast Food Hacks That Could Save You Money Thu, 05Mar2015While restaurants aren't required to provide free water, it is required to have clean water for sanitation and meal preparation. If you ask nicely most ...
- Thousands in Need of Water, Sanitation, Food After Fleeing Clashes in Mindanao Thu, 05Mar2015This is only an excerpt! Sign up for a free trial to receive CURRENT Daily Water Briefings or Weekly Water Newsletters. License Holders sign in to read ...
- water and sanitation week ujavava babat-jamnagar/devbhumi dwarka Thu, 05Mar2015WATER AND SANITATION WEEK UJAVAVA BABAT-JAMNAGAR/DEVBHUMI DWARKA. વધુ નવી પોસ્ટ વધુ જૂની પોસ્ટ હોમ ...
- food safety and sanitation book text Thu, 05Mar2015Search results for food safety and sanitation book text == Searched ... 9/2/2014 · What Consumers Need to Know About Food and Water Safety During ...
- Sanitation worker job description Thu, 05Mar2015Sanitation worker job description - The voices of those most scorpio ... Water line workers perform many of the same functions as ...
- MSF Switzerland Water Hygiene and Sanitation Supervisor Job in Dadaab Kenya Thu, 05Mar2015Control water supply and treatment, and sanitation according to the protocols of MSF, specifically: Ensure instruction for water treatment are applied ...
- WHO Intensifies Support to Cholera Outbreak in Malawi and Mozambique Thu, 05Mar2015It further highlights that health promotion and Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) interventions are being intensified through the district health ...
- Drinking water and sanitation essay Thu, 05Mar2015Drinking water and sanitation essay. Author: VirMaster Date of post: 30.05.2015. Thinking according to Kirby and Goodpaster (2007),"is an internal ...
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 2 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 3 weeks ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @kevin_quicksand #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 4 weeks ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Learn how you can support coordinated data-driven decision making in the #WASH sector ow.ly/In1yS 1 month ago
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the 2015 #Water #Microbiology Conference, which will be held May 18-22 ow.ly/Inv9f 1 month ago
Blogs I Follow
- S a n i t a t i o n
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- Brown, White and Blue
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch