TEDxBerlin Noa Lerner:X-runner. Sanitation Social Business
They are reinventing the toilet –
For someone who makes 1 dollar a day, with little water to be used for sanitation, in challenging locations, having a lack of space, and no existing sewage system.
. . . . . . . . .
X-Runner is designed with the following principles / features:
– It must be desirable
– It is private / respects privacy and dignity – it is in the home
– The waste is easily transported from the home by the resident (not surprisingly the job falling to the women-typically)
– The toilet base is also the transportation system in the form of a wheel
– There is a central place for collecting the waste from multiple homes
– This central place is desirable to visit based on the ability to socialize with friends and the access to amenities
– This central collection point has it has a biodigester
– The waste is turned into a useful resources – energy and fertilize
– The energy is returned home from this same place making a complete circle
For more information: