washlink notes: via a link I saw the title below and assume it was a humorous story from the US or Europe…Reading the first line “Do landlords know that it is an offense not to provide toilet facilities…” I’m thinking what’s the catch… some badly placed joke but I read on…. I caught on rather quickly that sadly there was no clever catch to it, like to sell toilet paper etc. This is just another part of the world …stupid me. But then the outrage: something so improbable for for me in Massachusetts :”Do landlords know that it is an offense not to provide toilet facilities…” that I anticipate a humorous story!!
Yes so probable for a good portion of the human race, when I realize mistake I am saddened ….at what trick perspective has played…..
Toilet – A very essential part of every home
Do landlords know that it is an offense not to provide toilet facilities in their houses before renting them out?
Well, a lot of them do not know and that is why they continue to put up houses without toilet facilities and expect their tenants to use the public toilets.
So the reminder of the Director of Environmental Health and Sanitation, Mr Demedeme Naa Lenason, to landlords that it is an offence not to provide toilet facilities in their houses or to convert their toilets and bathrooms into living rooms is timely.
Quoting from the 2000 Population and Housing Census, he said more than 20 per cent of Ghanaians did not have any form of latrines and therefore resorted to open defecation.
Mr Lenason said the 2000 census revealed that 31.45 per cent households
in Ghana used public latrines as compared to 8.5 per cent using water closet; 22 per cent used pit latrine, 6.9 per cent used KVIP, four per cent used bucket or pan latrine and 6.9 per cent attend to nature’s call in other people’s houses.
He said the Ministry’s Environmental Sanitation Policy of 1999 was unequivocal on households and public toilets and the policy states that at least 90 per cent of the population should have access to acceptable domestic toilet, while the remaining 10 per cent should have access to hygienic public toilets.
As we observe World Toilet Day on November 19, a day to celebrate the humble, yet vitally important toilet and to raise awareness of the global sanitation crisis, we need to learn from other countries, such as the United Kingdom, how toilets became a vital part of any building.
As far back as in 1891, there were legislations for the construction of water closets in houses by the British under the London Householder’s chart.
There were nuisances, which could be dealt with summarily under the Public Health (London) Act 189.
There were strict regulations regarding erected or re-built houses, with the provision of proper water closets. Penalty was 20 pounds then.
Additionally, the British found it necessary to support this Law having had very bad experiences in waste management and becoming sufferers of epidemics such as typhoid and cholera in the 1840s.
There is no way a building can be erected in the UK now without the provision of at least a toilet.
But in Ghana people still build houses without making provision for toilet facilities.
Dr John Snow’s work in tracing the source of a cholera outbreak in Soho, England, in 1954, is described now as “a major event in the history of public health and can be regarded as the founding event of the science of Epidemiology”.
The discovery of what causes cholera was followed by the crisis, which was termed, “The Great Stink or the Big Stink.” In the summer of 1858, the smell of untreated sewage almost overwhelmed people in Central London.
Within 18 days a bill was passed and the task of building the city’s sewers began and those sewers still serve London.
Sadly, there are still outbreaks of cholera in Ghana almost every year, but no serious focus has been given to building hygienic toilets across the country to check this outbreak.
- Water supply and sanitation in Ghana From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- WaterAid Ghana
- Girl-friendly latrines for Ghanaian schoolgirls
- Google scholar search: Ghana sanitation water 2008+