A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Technical Advisor, Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) Sat, 01Nov2014Technical Advisor, Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH). Saturday, 1st November 2014 - 07:20. PSI | United States | Apply by: 01 December 2014.
- Let's all work for a clean Kerala Sat, 01Nov2014The issue is more serious in cities and as per a 2007 study by Water Sanitation Programme South East Asia, per capita solid waste generation in the ...
- DILG sets advocacy trainings on water sanitation governance in Region 9 Sat, 01Nov2014The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) is set to conduct series of advocacy training on Human Rights-Based Local Water Sanitation ...
- Coalition's 'get tough' threat on non-payment of water bills Sat, 01Nov2014Coming under mounting pressure over the water charges, Coalition ... and reduce pressure to only allow for basic sanitation and drinking water.
- water, sanitation, hygiene and public education Sat, 01Nov2014We have so far reached 429,000 people in Liberia and Sierra Leone through community health and water, sanitation and hygiene programs, and 2.3 ...
- Noonan dismisses water levy protests Sat, 01Nov2014His remarks come as anti-Irish Water sentiment reaches new heights with ... “Potentially impacting on the right to access water and sanitation, a new ...
- Business innovations for scaling-up water and sanitation services in Fri, 31Oct2014Business innovations for scaling-up water and sanitation services in low-income countries. Heiko Gebauer Follow Processing.
- Charity scrambles as Liberia health care system collapses under Ebola Fri, 31Oct2014"Before the outbreak, only 51 doctors were available in Liberia for a population of 4.2 million. Water, sanitation and hygiene facilities were inadequate, ...
- Irvine water reserve in better shape than most, official tells council Fri, 31Oct2014The imported water, he noted, is supplied at about three times the cost of ... was developed in partnership with the Orange County Sanitation District.
- Waves force closure of bike path, restrictions on Lake Shore Drive Fri, 31Oct2014The departments of Streets & Sanitation and Water Management are “working to remove water off of the Drive,” she said. Streets & San tow trucks and ...
- Communities receive funds for water, sewer Fri, 31Oct2014According to an assessment done by the state's Department of Environmental Conservation, the estimated total sanitation need of Alaska's 220 Native ...
- Morrisville LED maker says it wants to be the Cree of water sterilization Fri, 31Oct2014Instead of using LEDs for innovations in the commercial lighting space, HexaTech is exploring their use in sanitation – specifically, water purification.
- Water and Sanitation hosts Gender, Water and Development Conference, 3 to 7 Nov Fri, 31Oct2014This conference will be hosted by the Water Research Commission of South Africa, in partnership with the Department of Water and Sanitation of ...
- Crashing Waves Flood Lake Shore Drive Fri, 31Oct2014“The City's Departments of Streets and Sanitation and Water Management are currently working to remove water off of the Drive,” the Office of ...
- Engineer Water & Sanitation Fri, 31Oct2014Job title : Engineer Water & Sanitation Recruiter : City : TBD Country : Germany Job location : Germany Type of contract : Full-time staff position
- Waves Close Portions of Lake Shore Drive, Bike Path Fri, 31Oct2014Crews from the departments of Streets and Sanitation and Water Management are working to clear storm drains and catch basins on the Drive, ...
- WASHplus Weekly: Focus on WASH & Ebola Fri, 31Oct2014Ebola Virus Disease (EVD): Key Questions and Answers Concerning Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, 2014. WHO. Link The key to controlling the ...
- Innovating city planning as urban populations soar Fri, 31Oct2014Worldwide, the expansion of cities is already putting a strain on housing, basic services -- like water and sanitation, education, health facilities, the job ...
- From WHO & UNICEF: 'Q&A on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and Ebola' Fri, 31Oct2014Provision of water and sanitation plays an essential role in protecting human ... Good and consistently applied water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) ...
- Waves force closure of bike path, restrictions on Lake Shore Drive Fri, 31Oct2014The departments of Streets & Sanitation and Water Management are “working to remove water off of the Drive,” she said. And Streets & San tow trucks ...
- The blind spot of the blind spot: What to do with infant and child feces? bit.ly/1wNczOY @SOILHaiti @WASHUnited 3 hours ago
- RT @washplusinfo: Social and psychological impact of limited access to #sanitation: The link between MHM and reproduct… http://t.co/22UTJab… 8 hours ago
- RT @MonaMij: MoSan as an example for sanitation in Bangladesh. Junaid Ahmad explains how to end open defecation #WASH #ecosan http://t.co/Q… 8 hours ago
- RT @LancetGH: Stopping the next #Ebola before it starts: the importance of water and sanitation ow.ly/DCpRm 8 hours ago
- RT @CARE: Ever think soap could save a life? One of the most critical ways to prevent #Ebola infection is proper hygiene: http://t.co/hfdQ4… 19 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch