A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Nonprofit questions Chiquita's impact on drinking water Thu, 12Dec2013Water and Sanitation Health, Inc. claims that Chiquita has allegedly contamined rivers and drinking water with pesticides, fertilizers, fungicides and other ...
- How is water and sanitation a social justice issue? - Yahoo7 Answers Wed, 11Dec2013Can you explain to me and give me an example of how it's a socials justice issue? Also how does it connect to biology, chemistry, physics and space?
- Portugal's water, sanitation and waste sector is a 'time bomb' Wed, 11Dec2013The chairman of the board of directors of Águas de Portugal warned today that the whole sector is a time bomb that could jeopardise water services in the very ...
- The water justice movement tackles life after privatization » Blue ... Wed, 11Dec2013According to David Hall and Emmanuele Lobina of Public Services International, in the last 15 years, 86 communities have taken water and sanitation services ...
- ROTARY ROUNDUP: Busy season for Rotarians Wed, 11Dec2013The Rotary Club of South Surrey, through the Water and Sanitation Rotarian Action Group (WASRAG), has completed a one-year donor-funded project in ...
- Golden Hills Sanitation saga continues Wed, 11Dec2013The first, which has no designated dollar value, is a limited number of staff hours of technical assistance from California Rural Water Association, funded under a ...
- New plan for CCDU formulated amidst bungling probe Wed, 11Dec2013“Annual budget for CCDU is around Rs 56 crore and this amount will be directly transferred in account of village water sanitation committees headed by elected ...
- Rights to water and sanitation now legally binding | Institute for ... Wed, 11Dec2013On November 21, the U.N. General Assembly's Third Committee (The Committee) adopted a resolution on “The human right to safe drinking water and sanitation ...
- water and sanitation | WaterSan Perspective Wed, 11Dec2013A site for WATER JOURNALISTS AFRICA, a network of African Journalists who report on Water and Sanitation.
- Campaign for sanitation, safe drinking water being intensified: Sham ... Wed, 11Dec2013Jammu, December 11, (Scoop News)- Describing the role of Communication & Capacity Development Unit (CCDU) as most important part for ensuring safe ...
- Clean water should not be a pipe dream | Human Rights Watch Wed, 11Dec2013I was in her neighborhood doing research on the city's collapsing water and sanitation infrastructure. As Louisa led me around to the toilet at the back of her ...
- Ghana Aid Effectiveness Forum dissects 2014 budget Wed, 11Dec2013Findings from the monitoring of the water and sanitation in 2013 indicate a short fall in water supply to rural and urban areas in Ghana. Per the Ghana Urban ...
- Bio | WSSCC Wed, 11Dec2013A strong interest to continue working in sanitation promotion led her to join WSSCC Geneva. ... Water Supply & Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC).
- Peru's Sedapal to invest US$96mn in water, sanitation works in Ate ... Wed, 11Dec2013Peru's Sedapal to invest US$96mn in water, sanitation works in Ate and Santa Anita. 2013-12-10. Loading, please wait... Wire News provided by. TOPICS.
- PNet : Advert View : Pr Civil Design Eng/Tech Water and Sanitation ... Wed, 11Dec2013Professional Civil Design EngineerTechnologist -Water and SanitationMy Client is a well-established Consulting Company based in the Durban area and is ...
- Utilities Focus - Why sanitation is a good investment Wed, 11Dec2013Time out from work due to illness associated with poor sanitation means a lack of productivity and lack of earnings. Universal access to sanitation and water ...
- Parliament Approves Budget For Two Ministries Wed, 11Dec2013The institutions include the Ministry of Communications, Ministry of Water ... He noted that the Community Water and Sanitation Agency completed the ...
- Safe drinking water and sanitation rights to barind people stressed Wed, 11Dec2013RAJSHAHI, Dec 11, 2013 (BSS)- Ensuring rights to safe drinking water and sanitation to the people of hard-to reach and disadvantaged areas in the dried ...
- Dakshina Kannada & Udupi Water Supply & Sanitation Planning ... Wed, 11Dec2013Dakshina Kannada & Udupi Water Supply & Sanitation Planning & Issues Mangalore.
- Vacancy: Senior Wash Advisor Sanitation, Mwanza, Tanzania Wed, 11Dec2013Currently SNV is working throughout mainland Tanzania in three main sectors of Agriculture, Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH), and Renewable Energy ( ...
- AND THE WINNER IS….Community-led Total Sanitation in Himachal Pradesh | Sanitation Updates ow.ly/rCcLm 1 day ago
- Paper: Coconut shells as filling material for #anaerobic filters - #sanitation 14 pg pdf ow.ly/rCclH 1 day ago
- Paper: Comparing Local Fiscal Autonomy in the Water and Sanitation Sectors of Johannesburg & Nairobi 16 pg pdf ow.ly/rCc8L 1 day ago
- great article: Global Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health — So Near and Yet So Far — NEJM ow.ly/rCbQU #globalhealth 1 day ago
- Israel, Jordan, Palestinians Strike Water-Sharing Deal | WUNC ow.ly/rCbHf 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente