A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Biplya Fri, 24Oct2014SPECIAL PRICE Atlas Ozone Boy Water Sanitation System (Faucet Mounted, NO Batteries or wires, 1 Year Warranty!!) ONLINE ONLINE Atlas Ozone ...
- Technical assistance for Equitable Access to Quality Water, Basic Sanitation and Enhanced Water ... Fri, 24Oct2014Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland : Technical assistance for Equitable Access to Quality Water, Basic Sanitation and Enhanced Water Resources ...
- Happy 50th Anniversary to Zambia! Fri, 24Oct2014... Corporation Compact with Lusaka Water and Sanitation Corporation to improve water, sanitation, and drainage in Lusaka; to engage with Zambians ...
- Lusaka Water - the Culture of Water Supply Fri, 24Oct2014THE noble function of supplying water and sanitation services to Lusaka town was managed by then Lusaka Municipal Council under the Engineering ...
- More water tampering, damning report exposed Fri, 24Oct2014According to a report on the failure of water supply in the Madibeng ... and DA Shadow Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation, Leon Basson, the DA ...
- Shared Prosperity: A Goal To Reduce Inequality Fri, 24Oct2014... focuses on improving gender equity and low income people's access to food, shelter, clean water, sanitation healthcare, education and jobs.
- The Replenish Africa Initiative (RAIN): Water and Sanitation Projects Fri, 24Oct2014RAIN is The Coca-Cola Company's response to the numerous water issues facing the African continent. Made possible by a $30 million, six-year ...
- New Norms for Disposing of Waste Water Fri, 24Oct2014By Diane UwimanaFrom 22nd to 23rd October, the Ministry of Water, Environment, Sanitation and Urbanism (MEEATU) organized a two day workshop ...
- Vanilla manufacturer expands in Fort Collins Fri, 24Oct2014... communities, and we invest each year back into the growing regions with microfinance, water sanitation and reforestation programs,” he said.
- Sanitation tomorrow in Lagos Fri, 24Oct2014Poor Sanitation, Unsafe Water Consumption Kill 150,000 Nigerian Children Annually · Information Nigeria (Yesterday) - About 150,000 children die ...
- Waterway to democracy Fri, 24Oct2014People suffer because of insufficient and unsafe water.” This friend has been working in Nepal's water supply and sanitation sector for over 30 years, ...
- IBNET Water Supply and Sanitation Blue Book 2014 Fri, 24Oct2014The : The International Benchmarking Network for Water and Sanitation Utilities ... “Well-run water utilities play an important role in ending poverty and ...
- School's expansion falls victim to red-tape Fri, 24Oct2014However, this godsend was stopped in its tracks only days later when a team from the Water and Sanitation Authority (Wasa) showed up to rain on ...
- Nipomo district OKs new water hookups as cities call for conservation Fri, 24Oct2014Rossi also plans to buy supplemental water from the Nipomo district to ... The South San Luis Obispo County Sanitation District, which serves Arroyo ...
- Gates Sanitation Technology Innovation Seminar... Fri, 24Oct2014Despite significant progress since 1994, sanitation in South Africa remains a huge challenge, particularly in the rural and peri-urban environment.
- PA Metro Water and Sanitation Improvement Project : P119694 Fri, 24Oct2014Delfieux,Charles. 2014. Panama - PA Metro Water and Sanitation Improvement Project : P119694 - Implementation Status Results Report : Sequence ...
- water-and-sanitation Fri, 24Oct2014Did you know that as of 2005, nearly a quarter of residents of the capital region of Guyana were at risk of suffering lymphatic filariasis, an illness that ...
- Poor school bathroom sanitation an obstacle to educating Indian girls Thu, 23Oct2014We do not usually discuss water quality and poor sanitation as issues of gender, but this report made me realize that we need to change that. Women ...
- Water Sanitation And Hygiene Thu, 23Oct2014Water Sanitation And Hygiene. October 24, 2014 by. water. Filed Under: Events. UTMOnline – Gateway to staff information. Your One-Stop gateway to ...
- DA welcomes water licence task team for 104 mines Thu, 23Oct2014The DA welcomes Water and Sanitation Ministry's pledge to resolve 104 cases of South African mines operating without valid Water Use Licences by ...
- ECS is awards $210 k of seed funding to 4 research projects addressing technology gaps in water #sanitation & hygiene ow.ly/Dg3sQ 7 hours ago
- interesting site:Yemenwater | Yemen ranks among the top 5 most water scarce countries in the world ... ow.ly/DcAXO 13 hours ago
- Video: Funding water projects in developing economies - CNBC Africa ow.ly/DcArP @water #microcredit #watsan #wash 16 hours ago
- Nigeria: 150 000 child deaths blamed on poor sanitation | West Africa ow.ly/Dcz0b 19 hours ago
- Monitoring and evaluation of local water and sanitation services - leasons learned • @susana_org ow.ly/DcyOv 22 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch