A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Sh800m to boost Nandi water supply Wed, 23Jul2014Sh800m to boost Nandi water supply ... Lake Basin Development Authority, Lake Victoria North Water Services Board, the Water Sanitation and Health ...
- USAID spends $4m on water sector reform Wed, 23Jul2014He refuted speculations from some quarters that USAID, under its Sustainable Water and Sanitation for Africa (SUWANSA) programme, had ...
- job vacancies at Water and Sanitation Company in Kenya august 2014 Wed, 23Jul2014Tags: career jobs at Nakuru Rural Water and Sanitation Company (NARUWASCO) August 2014, cashier vacancies in lapf in tanzania August 2014, ...
- Water Sanitation Dynamics in Earthquake Affected Areas of Pakistan Wed, 23Jul2014Water Sanitation Dynamics in Earthquake Affected Areas of Pakistan by Sajjad Raja Umer and Ali Shah Pir Mear and Zainab Rida-E-.
- Risk Management of Water Supply and Sanitation Systems Wed, 23Jul2014Risk Management of Water Supply and Sanitation Systems by Petr Hlavinek and Cvetanka Popovska and Jiri Marsalek and Ivana Mahrikova.
- Reaching out to villagers Wed, 23Jul2014“During our first visit here, we noted that the villagers lacked proper sanitation and cleanliness. They also wasted a lot of water,” says S. Sujitha, ...
- Our Story Wed, 23Jul2014Water1st was started in 2005 by a handful of professionals with solid experience in the water and sanitation and fundraising sectors. Our focus was ...
- Stakeholders Dialogue on Sanitation Challenges in Accra Wed, 23Jul2014Stakeholders Dialogue on Sanitation Challenges in Accra. By ... Works and Housing and many other organizations involved in Water, Sanitation and ...
- US gives $9.3 million more for IDPs Wed, 23Jul2014The US government will provide $7 million to UNICEF/Pakistan to improve health, hygiene, water and sanitation services for IDPs with the remaining ...
- Water and Sanitation Service Delivery in Kenya Wed, 23Jul2014Water and Sanitation Service Delivery in Kenya. Mireri, C.; Letema, Sammy; Majale, Christine Liyala. URI: http://ir-library.ku.ac.ke/handle/123456789/ ...
- water sanitation Wed, 23Jul2014Share with your friends....Experts have said that Nigeria is still far from meeting the Millennium Development Goal, MDG, target for water and sanitation ...
- US announces additional $9.3 million for IDPs Tue, 22Jul2014ISLAMABAD: The United States embassy announced additional contribution of $9.3 million to help the government meet the health, water, sanitation, ...
- Planning Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) Tue, 22Jul2014GRM International • Turnberry House 100 Bunhill Row London, City of London, United Kingdom EC1Y 8ND. Social Science ...
- Possible water rate increases noted in Fort Smith budget review Tue, 22Jul2014These include sales tax, property tax, franchise fees, water and sewer sales, street operations revenues, and sanitation revenues as outlined below.
- water and sanitation Tue, 22Jul2014The UN refugee agency and its partners today appealed for greater donor support to cope with the continuing outflow and deteriorating condition of ...
- Water and Sanitation Tue, 22Jul2014Water Proofing Treatment Estimated Contract Value(INR): 496,674.15 ( Four Lacs Ninety Six Thousand Six Hundred Seventy Four And Fifteen Paise ...
- SourceFed Tue, 22Jul2014Access to clean water and sanitation is listed as a basic human right by the UN and the World Health Organization, yet so many struggle daily to a...
- Receiver doesn't want GH sewage to go to city Tue, 22Jul2014Receiver Clifford Bressler voices his concerns about a feasibility study conducted by AECOM regarding the Golden Hills Sanitation Company during a ...
- Laying the framework for Water and Sanitation Sustainability Tue, 22Jul2014Laying the framework for Water and Sanitation Sustainability. Driving through the hustle and bustle of Lusaka, it is really hard to imagine that the vast ...
- Find the Solution, Committee Tells New Dept of Water and Sanitation Tue, 22Jul2014The Select Committee on Social Services has urged the newly established Department of Water and Sanitation to find strategies and mechanisms to ...
- RT @NEPADWater: Egypt: Ethiopian Dam Crisis to Be Solved Through Dialogue - #Africa #Water tinyurl.com/kqhtdxp 7 hours ago
- RT @UN_Water: Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER now on bit.ly/1kmqzYm 7 hours ago
- #Diarrhoea in #slum #children: observation from a large diarrhoeal disease hospital in Dhaka, #Bangladesh fee :-( ow.ly/ztAcN 7 hours ago
- Global assessment of exposure to #faecal contamination through drinking #water based on a systematic review ow.ly/ztzm3 #watsan 7 hours ago
- 85% of #Egypt’s rural areas have no #sanitation system | Cairo Post ow.ly/zttf3 #watsan #wash 9 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch