A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Ephrata grad helps bring clean water to Lao Thu, 05Dec2013More than half of the rural Lao PDR had access to an improved water system and only about one-third had access to an improved sanitation facility in 2011, ...
- Water Bill in Quintana Roo will increase 35% due to new “Sewer ... Thu, 05Dec2013Quintana Roo local Congress approved a new iniciative called “Sewer System Sanitation”, to be charged on water bills by the Comisión de Agua Potable y ...
- Gates' scheme to reinvent the toilet is 'too high-tech' Thu, 05Dec2013But toilet experts say the communities that desperately need sanitation will be unable to ... And Brian Arbogast, director of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene ...
- School-Led Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Improvement (Su ... Thu, 05Dec2013Language UndefinedSchool-Led Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Improvement (Su-SWASTHA) Project Su-SWASTHA operates in the Mid-Western.
- WATER SANITATION AND HYGIENE HEAD OF PROJECT ... Thu, 05Dec2013WATER SANITATION AND HYGIENE HEAD OF PROJECT Zahle, LEBANON Ref: HOPWASH/LB/13 ACF is an international non-governmental, private, ...
- Federal money OK'd for New Mexico water systems Thu, 05Dec2013The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced loans on Wednesday of $266,000 for the Timberon Water and Sanitation District and $94,000 for the Desert Aire ...
- US$3.3 Million Water Facility Project Launched Thu, 05Dec2013Liberia Water and Sewer Corporation (LWSC) Board Chairman Kemmie ... increase capacity of local partners in the provision of sanitation management and ...
- From the thread "Please heat up meals for sanitation workers" Thu, 05Dec2013A message calling on local convenience stores to help sanitation workers has ... sanitation workers hot water and use of the microwaves on cold winter days.
- Water supply and sanitation in Australia - YouTube Thu, 05Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in Australia is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check us...
- Fresherslive | Government Jobs for Freshers / Water & Sanitation ... Thu, 05Dec2013Water & Sanitation Management Organisation, Gujarat hiring B.E/B.Tech, B.Com, PG, MSW holders for Assistant Manager, Technical Supervisor, Social ...
- Water supply and sanitation in Saudi Arabia - YouTube Thu, 05Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in Saudi Arabia is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check.
- School-Led Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Improvement (Su ... Wed, 04Dec2013Su-SWASTHA operates in the Mid-Western Region where socio-economic development lags far behind. In 2009, there was an extensive cholera epidemic in ...
- Safe Practices on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (Safe-WASH ... Wed, 04Dec2013USAID/Nepal's Safe-WASH project contributes to the well-being of rural communities through equitable access to and efficient use of water resources and safe ...
- Gezira SWC Won the Best Training Center Prize of 2013 Wed, 04Dec2013On 17 November 2013, at the White Nile State Water Corporation Training ... with the cooperation of Drinking Water and Sanitation Unit Training Center (DWST), ...
- Basic Sanitation Company of the State of Sao Paulo - SABESP ... Wed, 04Dec2013Zacks reissued their neutral rating on shares of Basic Sanitation Company of the ... Higher water supply, sewage collection and treatment as well as benefits of ...
- Water and Sanitation Management Organisation Recruitment 2013 ... Wed, 04Dec2013Water and Sanitation Management Organisation Recruitment 2013 www.wasmo.org Assistant Manager freejobalert. ...
- Six local food establishments recognized for consistent clean ... Wed, 04Dec2013Consistent service and food and always a great water view. ... of Hotels and Restaurants for having no safety or sanitation violations within the past year.
- Water and Sanitation Service Improvement Project-Additional ... Wed, 04Dec2013Water and Sanitation Service Improvement Project-Additional Finance (WaSSIP-AF) in Kenya: Supply and Delivery of Mini-Lorries. Funded by World Bank - WB.
- Services for maintenance, repair and upgrading - IRC International ... Wed, 04Dec2013Print. InterWATER Thesaurus; IRC Sanitation Pack ... A taste of Water and Sanitation at the XII Seminar of Environmental ... IRC WASH library / IRC Sanitation.
- Senior Programme Officer (SPO) Vacancy at Network for Water and ... Wed, 04Dec2013Network for Water and Sanitation (NETWAS) Uganda is a non government organization that registered in Uganda in 1996 to provide Water Supply, Sanitation ...
- RT @picardonhealth: The life cycle of a girl - based on access to water & sanitation http://t.co/nu3hU38oVH (infographic) via @GirlsGlobe @… 1 day ago
- RT @washplusinfo: WEDC, Mainstreaming disability and ageing in #WASH programs, ow.ly/rpOpM 1 day ago
- RT @roachmary: 600M ppl have access to #mobile network but lack electricity.@GSMAMECS releases market sizing report ow.ly/rpzYJ … 1 day ago
- Water And Sanitation Services In Punjab PakistanTraining Workshop Dec 16-19 ow.ly/ro4Ir #WATSAN #WASH 2 days ago
- RT @valerielabi: #Celebratethetoilet #innovation and #sanitation go hand in hand #ipad toilet roll holder! http://t.co/RElpAbsMAK 2 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente