A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Water works: New machinery coming soon Fri, 18Apr2014FAISALABAD: The Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA) and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a memorandum of ...
- Sanitation and Environmental Technician II at Mbeya Urban Water and Sewerage Authority | Hot ... Fri, 18Apr2014Mbeya Urban Water and Sewerage Authority (Mbeya UWSA) is an autonomous water supply organization mandated to provide water and sewerage ...
- #Ethiopia commits to meet #MDGs in water and sanitation by 2015 @sanwatforall : UNICEFEthiopia Fri, 18Apr2014Nearly 800 million people still do not have access to an improved source of drinking water protected from outside contamination. Sanitation and water ...
- Lusaka Water Company Wins Award at Paris Summit Fri, 18Apr2014... and presented by Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Nobel Peace Laureate and UN Goodwill Ambassador for water, Sanitation and Hygiene ...
- Water And Sanitation Agency Lahore Tender Notice - Ad on newspaper | Ad on newspaper Fri, 18Apr2014Abbas Shah Apr 18th, 2014 163570 Commenthttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.paperpaste.com%2Fwater-sanitation-agency-lahore-tender-notice%2FWater+ ...
- Mapping sustainability assessment tools to support sustainable water and sanitation service delivery Fri, 18Apr2014Title, Mapping sustainability assessment tools to support sustainable water and sanitation service delivery. Publication Type, Report.
- Vail Daily letter: Will improve water quality Fri, 18Apr2014The Eagle River Watershed Council commends the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District on its ongoing commitment to water quality in the ...
- Program Officer, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Job - Global Water Jobs Fri, 18Apr2014Latest Water job opportunities/new & events Water job vacancy : Civil ... Program Officer, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Job in Seattle, WA, United ...
- Water and sanitation: addressing inequalities : The Lancet Thu, 17Apr2014“Water is life”, said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, at the opening session of the high-level meeting on sanitation and water for all, in Washington ...
- Ferguson's quarterly report includes crimes large and small Thu, 17Apr2014Three Water Management employees accused of pocketing thousands of ... A Streets and Sanitation employee who allegedly drank “multiple beers” ...
- Adams County water and sanitation districts hold elections - Worldnews.com Thu, 17Apr2014One of the largest combined water and sanitation districts in the state is having an election May 6 for three open board seats. The South Adams ...
- Vail Daily column: Pass a tax to save cost? Thu, 17Apr2014If you are served by the Eagle River Water & Sanitation District, you have a thoroughly counterintuitive decision to make. Here it is: Vote “yes” to a ...
- Africa's Ongoing Water and Sanitation - One News Page [US] VIDEO Thu, 17Apr2014The World Bank says Africa is facing an ongoing, endemic water and sanitation crisis. Only 62% of Africans have access to safe water and only 60% ...
- Building strength in water and sanitation | TWAS Thu, 17Apr2014The Chinese Academy of Sciences and TWAS are offering a long-term training course to provide water and environment professionals from ...
- Access to water‚ toilets to all by '30 Thu, 17Apr2014Almost 10,500 children under the age of five die every year of diarrhoeal diseases as they don't have access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Project Officer – Urban Sanitation · Myjoymarket - Ghana Free Classifieds Thu, 17Apr2014WSUP strengthens the capacity of service providers to deliver sustainable city-wide water and sanitation services, promote good hygiene and raise ...
- Think Africa Press article asks "How Can... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Thu, 17Apr2014Think Africa Press article asks "How Can Africa's Water and Sanitation Shortfall be Solved?" One of the answer is: "Countries are also failing to meet ...
- Water Missions International Thu, 17Apr2014It is estimated that 20% of the world's population lacks access to safe water for cooking and drinking. Twice that number lack access to basic sanitation ...
- Simavi is an international non-profit... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Thu, 17Apr2014Simavi is an international non-profit organisation, striving for a world in which basic health is accessible to all. Through the EWP network, Simavi has ...
- Student/ Educator - Parker Water & Sanitation District Thu, 17Apr2014Interested in having Water Efficiency Specialist Craig Miller come to your class for a presentation on Water, Water Conservation or Xeriscape?
- Paper: #NURSING PRACTICE EARLY RELATIONS w/ EVENT INITIATION OF #DIARRHEA IN #INFANTS 0-12 MONTHS goo.gl/ws61SC #globalhealth 1 hour ago
- Paper:Dev of Dual Media Biological Sand Filter with Added Component of Activated Carbon - Vietnam ow.ly/vV890 #water4all #wash 1 hour ago
- RT @gchallenges: RT @SOILHaiti #Transforming boring old port-o-potties into fantastic #EcoSan #toilets! @susana_org @ToiletHackers http://t… 9 hours ago
- RT @HeemaRai: A school in Nerpa, Khotang sells urine to local farmers. #ecosan #technology in #rural #Nepal. myrepublica.com/portal/index.p… 9 hours ago
- RT @nchudeau: #Sanitation has provided more and more challenges, both technical and sociological, with every new product form http://t.co/0… 9 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch