A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Give $1 to Water Sanitation in Haiti and Ricardo will match it. Support HAITI… Fri, 22Aug2014Give $1 to Water Sanitation in Haiti and Ricardo will match it. Support HAITI DAUTREFOIS together! – One Today by Google… - Ricardo Blanco ...
- Dams for Water Power Flood Protection Irrigation Sanitation Thu, 21Aug2014Recently formed Government had made several promises to Farmers and Poor – to provide Irrigation to every farm, Pacca Home to all Poor, Sanitation ...
- Water and Sanitation to Focus on Policy Flow Thu, 21Aug2014The new water and sanitation department says for the next year it will focus on policy and law reforms to ensure full integration between water and ...
- Kiambere Mwingi Water And Sanitation Company Thu, 21Aug2014RESIDENTS of Mwingi subcounty have protested high water bills. Speaking outside the Kiambere Mwingi Water and Sanitation Company yesterday, ...
- Most Indians live in pucca houses but lag in sanitation, says NSSO report Thu, 21Aug2014NSSO report shows 52.4% households in rural India used tube well or borehole as principal source of drinking water, followed by 14.3% households ...
- Creating Enterprises to Provide Sanitation Solutions in India Thu, 21Aug2014It's easy to get overwhelmed when you think of the sanitation situation in ... In 2012 Water For People hired Basix to identify promising entrepreneurs ...
- COSATU Limpopo welcomes the intervention by Minister of Water and Sanitation on water crisis in ... Thu, 21Aug2014COSATU Limpopo welcomes the intervention by Minister of Water and Sanitation on water crisis in Giyani. 21 August 2014. COSATU in Limpopo ...
- Why Did This Corporate Funder Just Give Charity:Water Five Million Bucks? Thu, 21Aug2014In Tanzania, nearly 60 percent of population does not have access to clean water and over 90 percent lacks access to sanitation. In Ethiopia, the story ...
- 1 bedroom spacious apartment water & sanitation included Thu, 21Aug2014Convenient Norfolk location-minutes from downtown, shopping and military bases!!! All utilities paid except electric!!! Free full size washer/dryer ...
- Download Prakarsa July 2014 full-colour ENG Thu, 21Aug2014The Water and Sanitation Services Index □. Business-to-Business Financing □. Issue 18 | July 2014. Journal of the Indonesia Infrastructure Initiative ...
- 1st African Water Status Report Thu, 21Aug20141(II)], and the Millennium Development Goals especially as relates to water supply and sanitation. A request was also made to the African Ministers' ...
- Cabinet for The Development Plan for Water and Sanitation in Cape Verde Thu, 21Aug2014Cabinet for The Development Plan for Water and Sanitation in Cape Verde. Funded by Agence Française de Développement - AFD. Location Cape ...
- Poongodi and Group Thu, 21Aug2014Water source is accessible within a 0.5 km radius. They know ... provides micro-credit to build water and sanitation facilities around Trichy, Tamil Nadu.
- Jobs in Water And Sanitation Services Peshawar August 2014 Thu, 21Aug2014Water And Sanitation Services Peshawar Vacancies for : Assistant Manager HR Admin. Please put in your application and Resume to below :.
- Expert 2: Junior Water Supply and Sanitation Expert (Cat II) Thu, 21Aug2014The Junior Water Supply and Sanitation Expert will facilitate the work of the Senior Expert with a specific focus on water and sanitation, including ...
- Expert 2: Junior Water Supply and Sanitation Expert (Cat II) Thu, 21Aug2014Expert 2: Junior Water Supply and Sanitation Expert (Cat II)The Junior Water Supply and Sanitation Expert will facilitate the work of the Senior Expert ...
- Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) Thu, 21Aug2014Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) is a not-for-profit partnership among NGOs, businesses, and academia that brings local and global ...
- Akola Dev villagers create water success story -Ranjana Diggikar Thu, 21Aug2014All the villagers have joined hands to implement water conservation methods, thereby enabling them to sustain on last year's rainfall. Moreover, the ...
- Anine Drageset Thu, 21Aug2014Work with the water supply and sanitation system in the field. Summer 2013: Intern at The Federal University of Ouro Preto, Brazil, Department of ...
- Crucial water upgrade to be delivered to Tanzania Thu, 21Aug2014The funding is part of Tanzania's Big Results Now initiative, which allows the UK's to fulfil its global commitment of providing access to water, sanitation ...
- Call For Abstracts: Global Health & Innovation Conference at Yale wp.me/pCkIF-wL 34 minutes ago
- If I dump a bucket of water from a clean toilet bowl - how much will you donate to a #watsan #wash charity hmmm?" Would you join me? 6 hours ago
- RT @Acumen: UN has begun its largest aid operation for a decade as it attempts to reach more than 500k people in northern Iraq http://t.co/… 1 day ago
- RT @raulpacheco: I suggest you donate money to ALS orgs AND save your bucket of iced water AND donate money to @water instead. 1 day ago
- RT @USAIDGH: For every 1,000 babies born alive in #Mozambique, 21 are dead within a week - @TheLancet ow.ly/AuX7I #MDGMomentum #… 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch