A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Dwellers of sectors F6, G7 decry lack of facilities Sun, 09Mar2014The residents while talking to APP said that roads in the sector are in dilapidated condition, while there is no proper sanitation, sewerage and water ...
- Haiti's cholera epidemic poses major threat: UN Sun, 09Mar2014Haiti needs a “Marshall plan” for water and sanitation to quell a cholera epidemic which poses a major threat to the Caribbean and Latin America, ...
- Tanzania and France Development Agency collaborate on Water Project Sun, 09Mar2014Tanzania and France Development Agency collaborate on Water Project ... aimed at improving local access to safe water and sanitation facilities.
- World Bank supports Bangladesh safe water project in rural areas Sun, 09Mar2014The Bangladesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project ( BRWSSP) aims to enhance rural piped water supply schemes as well as non-piped ...
- WB gives $75m for increased safe water supply in rural areas Sun, 09Mar2014The World Bank is providing about US $75 million for the Bangladesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project (BRWSSP). The World Bank (WB) is ...
- New toilet designed in N.C. offers hope for cleaner water Sun, 09Mar2014“You've got to build a better toilet,” said Brian Stoner, an investigator at RTI, in Durham. “You can have perfectly clean water, but without sanitation, ...
- Women in WASH - IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre Sun, 09Mar2014Why Women's Involvement in Water and Sanitation Development is Important. Looking back at one of the main outcomes of the panel discussion on ...
- The untold story of Pre-paid Water Meter and the Urban Poor Sun, 09Mar2014The Congress was under the theme:”Mobilizing Resources and Governance of Water and Sanitation in Africa.” I am told that the 17th AfWA Congress ...
- RT @SOILHaiti: #Toilets are too cool for school! SOIL makes #sanitation education fun for all. @PortlandPHLUSH @susana_org http://t.co/QDkb… 5 days ago
- RT @BochikaOrg: RT @SOILHaiti 8300 people in #Haiti died of #Cholera and 1/6 of the population made ill. #sanitation matters! http://t.co… 5 days ago
- RT @DroneCentre: BBC News - The Indian sanitary pad revolutionary bbc.com/news/magazine-… #sanitation #india #clealiness 5 days ago
- RT @MBAsWB: Southern African leaders fail to prioritize #water and #sanitation bit.ly/1mQiQr7 @guardian 5 days ago
- RT @mqtodd: Impressive RT @EndWaterPoverty: Great #sanitation #resource page from @Sanitation2015 smq.tc/1cdmhCE #water #WASH 5 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch