A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Autonomous water, sanitation body for Peshawar soon - DAWN.COM Fri, 13Dec2013The new body, Water and Sanitation Services Peshawar (WSSP), would be a public limited company owned by the government, according to sources.
- Water supply and sanitation in China - YouTube Thu, 12Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in China is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check us out.
- Workshop on sustainable drinking water & sanitation » Thu, 12Dec2013Workshop on sustainable drinking water & sanitation. Categories: State News. ITANAGAR, Dec 12: In its endeavor to achieve the target set by the government to ...
- Jaffna and Kilinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project ... - Devex Thu, 12Dec2013Jaffna and Kilinochchi Water Supply and Sanitation Project: Construction of Water Towers at Palai, Kodikamam, Nallur, Karainagar, Pungudutivu, Kayts, ...
- Groundwater declines by 3.2% in 4 years Thu, 12Dec2013These facts came to light at a state-level consultative workshop on Iimplications of climate change on water and sanitation' in the city. Organized by The Energy ...
- 1000 more drinking water units planned Thu, 12Dec2013Speaking at a State-level consultative workshop on implications of climate change on water and sanitation organised jointly by the United Nations Children's ...
- Africa's once-in-a-generation opportunity Thu, 12Dec2013UN estimates suggest about 5% of the continent's wealth is being lost from this lack of access to water and sanitation. If everyone had access to these services, ...
- 'Govt can achieve total sanitation coverage by investing Tk 5.6b for a ... Thu, 12Dec2013Policy Support Unit (PSU) in collaboration with Bangladesh Wash Alliance and Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP) organised the event.
- Middlewich MP talks toilets with Wateraid Thu, 12Dec2013... local MP and I was very pleased that she agreed to meet me to confirm her continuing support for Water Aid's mission to provide sanitation and water for all.
- WaterAid America - 404 Thu, 12Dec2013Page not found! We've just launched this new site so you may be looking for a page from our old website, or the page you are looking for might have been ...
- Q&A of the Webinar on Self- supply - IRC International Water and ... Thu, 12Dec2013This file contains the written answers to the pending questions of the Webinar “Self-supply as a service”.
- FG Calls for Concerted Efforts to Tackle Challenges Facing the ... Thu, 12Dec2013The Permanent Secretary disclosed that the current national access to water supply is 65% and sanitation, 41% noted that a lot of the citizens still lacked the ...
- The water justice movement tackles life after privatization Thu, 12Dec2013According to David Hall and Emmanuele Lobina of Public Services International, in the last 15 years, 86 communities have taken water and sanitation services ...
- Water Missions International offers alternative Christmas gifts - Cision Thu, 12Dec2013Launches 2013 Christmas Catalog, features gifts that provide safe drinking water, sanitation for.
- Water Missions International Offers Alternative Christmas Gifts Thu, 12Dec2013Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Support - $100: Your gift will help equip community leaders with the materials and training necessary to teach their ...
- World Walks for Water and Sanitation 2014 | End Water Poverty Thu, 12Dec2013The World Walks for Water and Sanitation is the largest worldwide mobilisation for universal access to water and sanitation and, as such, provides an excellent ...
- TERI Hosts A State Level Consultative Workshop On Implications Of ... Thu, 12Dec2013Report by India Education bureau, New Delhi: With the aim to develop a state level strategy in addressing the issues related to water and sanitation in the ...
- Welfare Association :: Water & Sanitation Infrastructure in Gaza Thu, 12Dec2013Gaza is a tiny, resource-poor region of 360 square kilometres with a population of over 1.5 million, and a high growth rate. It is encircled on the west by the ...
- good sanitation and cleanliness is an act of being health smart Thu, 12Dec2013Today men try to break this chain of disease transmission by sanitation. By this ... But maybe the most commonly contaminated material is water. We cannot live ...
- Rhondda children help create animation for World Toilet Day Thu, 12Dec2013Dwr Cymru Welsh Water has commissioned a special animation, which includes the ... us stop the block, whilst also raising money to give others safe sanitation.
- AND THE WINNER IS….Community-led Total Sanitation in Himachal Pradesh | Sanitation Updates ow.ly/rCcLm 2 days ago
- Paper: Coconut shells as filling material for #anaerobic filters - #sanitation 14 pg pdf ow.ly/rCclH 2 days ago
- Paper: Comparing Local Fiscal Autonomy in the Water and Sanitation Sectors of Johannesburg & Nairobi 16 pg pdf ow.ly/rCc8L 2 days ago
- great article: Global Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health — So Near and Yet So Far — NEJM ow.ly/rCbQU #globalhealth 2 days ago
- Israel, Jordan, Palestinians Strike Water-Sharing Deal | WUNC ow.ly/rCbHf 2 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente