A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Video: Bringing Clean Water to Families Displaced from Northern Iraq Thu, 30Oct2014In response to the influx of families fleeing violence in Northern Iraq, Action Against Hunger is racing to provide critical water and sanitation services in ...
- UNICEF eyes on increasing number of polio cases in Pakistan : October 30, 2014, 4:14 pm Thu, 30Oct2014... water and sanitation, as well as in education and child protection across Pakistan. “As we are approaching the 25th anniversary of the convention of ...
- Pipeline deal brings Denver's south suburbs closer to new water supply Thu, 30Oct2014The pipeline, owned by the East Cherry Creek Valley Water and Sanitation District ... Denver Water and the South Metro Water Supply Authority, which ...
- Lusaka in critical water levels Thu, 30Oct2014The National Water Supply and Sanitation Council (NWASCO) says Lusaka has reached critical water levels which has resulted in some commercial ...
- occupied Palestinian territory: Internship in campaigning on water and sanitation based in Jerusalem Thu, 30Oct2014The Emergency Water Sanitation and Hygiene (EWASH) group, established in 2002, brings together 30 leading humanitarian organizations working ...
- Boecker® extends awareness on Water Hygiene and Sanitation to Public Schools Thu, 30Oct2014The workshop tackled the importance of consuming clean filtered water versus the side effects of contaminated water, as well as the threats of food ...
- 'Listahang Tubig' launched for better water service coverage Thu, 30Oct2014On the other hand, the LWUA shall enjoin water districts and rural water supply and sanitation associations to participate in the national survey by ...
- 100 MPSs, 70 voter facilitation counters set up in Kathua Thu, 30Oct2014... drinking water, sanitation, assistance for special voters, women and elders in Kathua district," District Election Officer Dr Shahid Iqbal said today.
- City revenue in good condition Thu, 30Oct2014Asmani spoke positively of the city's water, wastewater and sanitation services being municipal utilities. "With city utilities, you control reliability," ...
- South Denver suburbs take step to cut water-pumping from aquifers Thu, 30Oct2014South Denver suburbs take step to cut water-pumping from aquifers ... Cherry Creek Valley Water and Sanitation District — to carry excess Denver and ...
- Budapest Water Summit Highlights, Wednesay, 9 October 2013, Budapest, Hungary Thu, 30Oct2014In the main plenary the Summit continued with sessions and high-level panels on: striving for universal access to water and sanitation; how to ...
- USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah to visit India for World Economic Forum Thu, 30Oct2014... our day, from food security and infectious disease to illiteracy, depleting energy resources and lack of access to water and sanitation," USAID said.
- Kyrgyz Republic - Second Rural Water Supply & Sanitation Thu, 30Oct2014Kyrgyz Republic - Second Rural Water Supply & Sanitation : P110267 - Implementation Status Results Report : Sequence 13 (English)
- Social and pSychological impact of limited acceSS to Sanitation Thu, 30Oct2014the ShaRe Research consortium and the Water Supply and Sanitation collaborative council (WSScc) formed a research partnership in 2013 to.
- Invitation to Bid at Rural Water Supply & Sanitation Agency (Ruwasa) Thu, 30Oct2014In line with one of its objective to increasing access to safe drinking water and sanitation services in rural communities of the self- selected LGAs.
- Invitation for Bids Thu, 30Oct2014Urban Water Supply and Sanitation. Improvement Project Jalingo. Specific Procurement Notice (SPN). Invitation for Bids. Date: 27 th October, 2014.
- Dunlap responds to spending concerns raised by opponent Thu, 30Oct2014“I thought, it's very important for the sanitation for the staff to have water.” Other departments in the county were equipped with stoves and other ...
- 10:00 Siyahlola Presidential Monitoring Programme on Water and Sanitation Thu, 30Oct201410:00 Siyahlola Presidential Monitoring Programme on Water and Sanitation: Launch of the Giyani water works. Event Date : 31 October 2014
- NegOr supports campaign on 'Zero Open Defecation' Thu, 30Oct2014The signing was held during the First Provincial Sanitation Summit, in cooperation with the Water and Sanitation Program of the World Bank.
- Amaravathi and Group Thu, 30Oct2014Your loan will help Amaravathi and Group construst toilets and install water connection. Amaravathi and Group. Lend a little. Change a lot. Funded
- RT @CDDEP: Policies that will reduce volunteer numbers won't protect the public and will only make the Ebola crisis worse. http://t.co/tqJ3… 4 hours ago
- RT @katrinacharles: Hot off the press:WHO guidance on Ebola & WASH. Key Q+As concerning water, sanitation + hygiene apps.who.int/iris/bitstream… 13 hours ago
- RT @OxfamAmerica: "Ebola is with us – here and now. It is an invisible foe." Read an account from David, water & sanitation engineer: http:… 13 hours ago
- RT @chantalvandenb: "Psychosocial factors on household level influence user acceptance of #Ecosan Toilets" @WECF_INT wecf.eu/english/articl… 13 hours ago
- RT @SOILHaiti: Our sanitation coordinator Jimmy loves teaching kids about #compost and #EcologicalSanitation (#EcoSan) http://t.co/NWYjGopk… 13 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch