A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Hundreds of public schools without basic services Thu, 18Sep2014Hundreds of public schools remain without piped water, electricity, and sanitation, according to Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga.
- Water steam mop , unique way of cleaning your home along with sanitation Thu, 18Sep2014The speed of X5 makes it clean any sticky stain/dust/floor in a go. Also used rarely, which makes it more preferable - Home & Kitchen Appliances ...
- World water crisis 'unconscionable' speaker says Thu, 18Sep2014Policy related to access to safe water was a hallmark of the late Sen. ... “Safe water and sanitation is the first line of defense against diseases, and ...
- UNITAR is launching a new session of the e-learning course Governance in Urban Sanitation Thu, 18Sep2014A high level sanitation expert guides participants through all the learning ... The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage Disposal of Country Houses ...
- Vijay L Joshi appointed Secy, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation Thu, 18Sep2014Vijay Laxmi Joshi has been appointed as Secretary in Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. Joshi, a 1980 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre, ...
- Peru Seeks Private Funding for $19 Billion of Water Works Thu, 18Sep2014Peru is seeking investors for $19 billion of projects through 2021 to help improve access to potable water and sanitation in the South American ...
- IN Andhra Pradesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation : P101650 Thu, 18Sep2014India - IN Andhra Pradesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation : P101650 - Implementation Status Results Report : Sequence 10 (English)
- Agoura candidates face off in LVMWD Thu, 18Sep2014Steinhardt said he is not against capital expenditures to maintain water and sanitation services, but that adding more tanks is not the best solution.
- Robert Lembke, President of United Water and Sanitation District Thu, 18Sep2014Robert Lembke president of United Water and Sanitation District at his office in Greenwood Village CO September 17 2014 Get premium, high ...
- Thailand, UN Habitat supports sanitation program in Kenya Thu, 18Sep2014NAIROBI: The Kingdom of Thailand, through its embassy in Kenya, provided a contribution of USD 32500 to support UN-Habitat's Lake Victoria Water ...
- Robert Lembke president of United Water and Sanitation District talks... News Photo 455599718 Wed, 17Sep2014Robert Lembke president of United Water and Sanitation District talks about a portfolio map of water rights in the Platte River at his office in ...
- The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage Disposal of Country Houses Wed, 17Sep2014Download book The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage Disposal of Country Houses pdf. Click Here. The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage ...
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Program Manager - Kurdish Region Iraq Wed, 17Sep2014Conduct Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) rapid needs assessments in the field. As a result of the assessments, assist with identification of specific ...
- Sustainable Groundwater Resources in Africa: Water supply and sanitation environment Wed, 17Sep2014Download book Sustainable Groundwater Resources in Africa: Water supply and sanitation environment pdf. Click Here. Sustainable Groundwater ...
- Intensify sanitation drive: Jora to SMC Wed, 17Sep2014He directed the Commissioner, SMC to organize shift wise sanitation of the various areas where the water level has receded, so that all dumped ...
- Ethiopia water and sanitation project WORTH US$91.1m for Wed, 17Sep2014African Newspapers, Africa Online News & Free Online Flash Games.
- Senior Civil Engineer Wed, 17Sep2014Senior Civil Engineer: Water and Sanitation Job available in Bloemfontein, Permanent position for a Skilled Level candidate within the Building ...
- Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Wed, 17Sep2014Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). Wednesday, 17th September 2014 - 19:39. John Snow, Incorporated | Mozambique | Apply ...
- Peru gov't to invest US$18.7 bn in sanitation, water projects through 2021 Wed, 17Sep2014Lima, Sep. 17. Peru's Housing, Construction and Sanitation Ministry has launched the National Sanitation Plan that includes a 8-year investment of ...
- Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Wed, 17Sep2014JSI seeks an experienced Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for an anticipated USAID funded project in Mozambique. The goal of the ...
- Journal$$: Critical evaluation of Rwanda's potential to achieve millennium development goals - water & #sanitation ow.ly/BDfoP 28 minutes ago
- Kingdom of Thailand provides support for UN-Habitat’s water and sanitation programme – UN-Habitat ow.ly/BDe9j 2 hours ago
- IFRC - International Federation of Red Cross via noodls) / Floods leave a trail of destruction in rural Bangladesh ow.ly/BDiyR 2 hours ago
- Pub: "Priceless! Uncovering the real costs of water and sanitation" ow.ly/BDhsJ pdf #watsan 3 hours ago
- Effect of Hand Washing Practice & Attack Rate of Acute Diarrhoeal Diseases among Pre-Primary School Children. ow.ly/BDgI3 #WaSH 3 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch