A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- FINISH INK Wed, 01Oct2014A consortium, led by WASTE will implement FINISH in Kenya, subsidized by the Sustainable Water Fund (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands).
- Punjab Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Improvement Project Wed, 01Oct2014Project ID: P150520GENERAL PROCUREMENT NOTICE Country: INDIA Name of the Project: Punjab Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Sector ...
- Uganda: USAID and Germany cooperate in Northern Uganda water and sanitation project Wed, 01Oct2014Source: US Agency for International Development Country: Germany, Uganda, United States of America U.S. Mission Uganda announced the signing ...
- USAID and Germany cooperate in Northern Uganda water and sanitation project Wed, 01Oct2014U.S. Mission Uganda announced the signing of a cooperation agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) ...
- Niger Delta Support Programme (Water & Sanitation) Wed, 01Oct2014General objectives. Assessors are expected to bring their own experience of the sector and project implementation to bear in the analysis of each ...
- Modi to wield broom in nationwide 'Clean India' campaign Wed, 01Oct2014"We have been working on the issue of clean water and sanitation for years, but the government's campaign has given everyone a new boost," said ...
- Raya The Muppet Talks About Poop And Is Proud of It Wed, 01Oct2014"These are three very different countries but the core message of water sanitation and hygiene are universally," says Stephen Sobhani, who heads ...
- Govt., private sector praised for improving water supply Wed, 01Oct2014Company Acting Head of Sanitation Micho Owen said village water-Zambia, government, Australian Aid and Oxfam were doing a commendable job in ...
- 15 diseases India can stamp out by improving sanitation Wed, 01Oct2014The majorities of diarrhoeal deaths are caused by poor sanitation and hygiene, and unsafe water and affect the school-age children impacting their ...
- (category I): Assessor in Water Resources or Civil Engineering KE2 Wed, 01Oct2014Sectors:Procurement, Civil Engineering, Water & Sanitation, Other, Grants ... Niger Delta Support Programme – Component 3 – Water & Sanitation".
- USA to strengthen Ghanaian health care system Wed, 01Oct2014These tablets will purify over 15 million litres of water. ... of Ghana and their objectives in the area of health, nutrition, water, and sanitation. Additional ...
- I will help you clean up India, Obama tells Modi Wed, 01Oct2014It will work as a 'partner' in the Clean India campaign alongside the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Alliance ...
- Ministry Of Drinking Water And Sanitation Wed, 01Oct2014Newshence Reporter New Delhi, Oct. 1: Rakhee Gupta Bhandari, IAS (PB;1997), who was on “compulsory wait” in the Ministry of Drinking Water and ...
- Empower LWSC to Serve Wed, 01Oct2014CASSELL SAID as a member of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) consortium both locally and internationally, it is the prerogative of the ...
- Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Specialist (219274-927) Wed, 01Oct2014Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Specialist (219274-927). Wednesday, 1st October 2014 - 14:31. Mercy Corps | United States | Apply by: ...
- Untitled Wed, 01Oct2014Page 1. Page 2. Ministry of (n)Drinki-6(g(i) )-7(Wat(n)e)-3(r a3(i)d(i) S)6(st4(n)t(n)a)-8nni. Page 3. Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation ...
- Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Specialist (219274-927) Wed, 01Oct2014Job Description. PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: Mercy Corps is a leading international humanitarian agency that responds to the ...
- Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Wed, 01Oct2014Additional Criteria for Applicants: Review general eligibility requirements. Objectives: PEER seeks to support projects related to the challenges and ...
- Water, Sanitation And Hygiene (WASH) Adviser - Plan UK Wed, 01Oct2014Job Description. Plan UK's new Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) adviser will be located in the Quality Assurance, Impact & Learning (QAIL) unit ...
- Social audit damns Cape Town City's sanitation delivery Wed, 01Oct2014Earlier this year, the South African Human Rights Commission said the lack of access to clean water and adequate sanitation is potentially a “national ...
- Vermont Farmers Pilot a Whiz-Bang Solution to Fertilizer ow.ly/C9jGn #ecosan #wash 2 hours ago
- Reporting back from the 37th WEDC Conference in Hanoi- Day 1 | Community-Led Total Sanitation ow.ly/C8HZQ 5 hours ago
- Clean Potable Water a Human Right, Even in Detroit |@Warren J. Blumenfeld ow.ly/C8Hw5 8 hours ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @dijoh2o @KFleurAnderson @wateringwoman @tysavestheworld @edbourque #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 8 hours ago
- South Africa Faces Water Crisis | WaterSan Perspective ow.ly/C8BFL 11 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch