A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Hygiene & Sanitation Coordinator Tue, 21Oct2014Living Water International is providing safe drinking waters Christian Witness, Sanitation and Hygiene Education to communities across Africa.
- Water supply works under the water supply and sanitation sector reform programme Tue, 21Oct2014Water supply works under the water supply and sanitation sector reform programme (phase II), Nigeria (GPN). Funded by EuropeAid Co-operation ...
- EBRD Conference: “Public-private partnerships in the water and sanitation sector”. Tue, 21Oct2014EBRD Conference: “Public-private partnerships in the water and sanitation sector”.
- Lakshmi and Group Tue, 21Oct2014Your loan will help Lakshmi and Group fund access to basic sanitation by building toilets and a water connection in their homes. Lakshmi and Group ...
- LDA Jobs 2014 in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company Tue, 21Oct2014Jobs are vacant in Water and Sanitation Company, Government of Pakistan, Lahore. LDA Jobs 2014 in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company. Water ...
- Water Sanitation Health Tue, 21Oct2014Progress on drinking water and sanitation. Joint Monitoring Programme update 2014. Authors: WHO/UNICEF. INTERNATIONAL NEWS PHOTO(2).
- Mboynane Health Hut Water and Sanitation Project - Senegal Tue, 21Oct2014Mboynane Health Hut Water and Sanitation Project - Senegal. admin's picture. Submitted by admin on Mon, 10/20/2014 - 11:32. Mboynane Health Hut ...
- Hygiene Tue, 21Oct2014International consultations on priorities for global monitoring post-2015 recommend an integrated approach to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene ...
- United Nations experts condemn Detroit water shutoffs Tue, 21Oct2014United Nations experts condemn Detroit water shutoffs ... right to safe drinking water and sanitation, said during a news conference on Monday.
- UN Officials Criticize City of Detroit for Water Shutoffs Tue, 21Oct2014UN Officials Criticize City of Detroit for Water Shutoffs ... of individuals and households and on their human rights to water, sanitation and housing.”.
- Duggan disappointed in UN experts' take on water shutoffs Tue, 21Oct2014Two United Nations experts — Catarina de Albuquerque, the Special Rapporteur on the human right to water and sanitation, and Leilani Farha, the ...
- lack of access to clean water and sanitation Tue, 21Oct2014Dirty water kills thousands. 20 October 2014 15:11. The problem? Lack of access to clean water and sanitation, medication and healthcare services.
- J&J Global Health on Twitter: "DYK: water & sanitation are #socialdeterminants of health that ... Tue, 21Oct2014DYK: water & sanitation are #socialdeterminants of health that impact girls. http://ow.ly/D2Cu5 @water. 0 replies 10 retweets 7 favorites. Reply.
- Detroit's water shut-offs target the poor, vulnerable Tue, 21Oct2014At the end of a three-day visit to Detroit*, the UN Special Rapporteurs on the human right to water and sanitation, Catarina de Albuquerque, and on the ...
- important rate information notice Mon, 20Oct2014Parker Water and Sanitation District will hold a public meeting on October 23, 2014 at 6:00PM at the Parker Water & Sanitation District North Water ...
- UN Biodiversity Conference Pushes Global Resdistribution, Restriction, Regimentation Mon, 20Oct2014... of biodiversity encompasses virtually all activities and areas of human society: food, nutrition, health, agriculture, water, sanitation, and much more.
- Regional Water Seminar - Astana, Kazakhstan - 13-16 October 2014 Mon, 20Oct2014This zip file contains all materials from the Regional Water Seminar which took place in Astana, Kazakhstan on 13-16 October 2014. More information ...
- Online Training this Thursday: Introduction to Environmental Sanitation Mon, 20Oct2014CAWST, the Centre for Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology, is hosting a free one-hour webinar, " Introduction to Environmental Sanitation " ...
- All Government Levels Responsible for Human Rights Violations in Detroit: UN Rapporteur Mon, 20Oct2014Farha and her colleague, UN Special rapporteur on the human right to water and sanitation Catarina de Albuquerque spent three days in Detroit ...
- UN: 27000 Detroit residents cut-off from water 'an affront to human rights' Mon, 20Oct2014Detroit water activists (from left) Tawana Petty, Priscilla Dziubek and Lou ... During their three-day tour, housing and sanitation experts Leilani Farha ...
- Sustainable model for rural #sanitation in India | mydigitalfc.com ow.ly/D4xPf 42 minutes ago
- UN officials 'shocked' by Detroit’s mass water shutoffs | Al Jazeera America ow.ly/D4wj1 11 hours ago
- RT @OpenSociety: In the #Ebola fight, a community-based approach is getting health-and economic-results: osf.to/1nr6Ugu 1 day ago
- RT @kanakokata: Impact of Inadequate Access to #WASH facilities on women&girls in India & Bangla via @WatSanCollabCou @SHAREresearch http:/… 1 day ago
- Those with wealth cannot build walls tall enough to keep out the rest - so should put those resources to helping others - like #Ebola #ntds 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch