A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- At least 50 percent of all of Gaza's water and sanitation infrastructure is no longer functioning. Fri, 25Jul2014At least 50 percent of all of Gaza's water and sanitation infrastructure is no longer functioning. newshour: UNICEF officer Pernille Ironside says there ...
- CS wants LB head to concentrate on water, sewerage issues Fri, 25Jul2014... deputy commissioners (DC) to personally monitor the day-to-day issues generally and burning issues like water and sewerage, sanitation, health, ...
- Individual Consultant on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Fri, 25Jul2014The Country Programme supports high-impact child-friendly integrated interventions, including water, hygiene and sanitation approaches that are ...
- South Africa's New Water and Sanitation Department to Help Local Governments Address ... Fri, 25Jul2014South Africa's Select Committee on Social Services has instructed the country's new Department of Water and Sanitation to find strategies and ...
- Govt puts stringent water, sanitation measures to improve health Fri, 25Jul2014The minister said co-operating partners have so far spent over K150 billion for water and sanitation programme across the country for the benefit of the ...
- Kenya Develops Plan to Boost Urban Water Supply Fri, 25Jul2014Kenyan government has developed a five-year master plan to enhance access to piped water and basic sanitation in cities, government officials said ...
- Water, Life and Perspectives Fri, 25Jul2014More than 50% of the inhabitants are without access to an acceptable drinking water supply and sanitation. This has negative impacts, especially on ...
- Collector Fri, 25Jul2014job - Collector - Holding Company for Water Supply and Sanitation Egypt - - Egypt - Bani Suef 25/07/2014.
- Alveo Water and Sanitation Fri, 25Jul2014Alveo water and sanitation contractors provide a turnkey solution to all water and sanitation projects including design, supply, manufacture, ...
- Domestic Water and Environmental Sanitation Fri, 25Jul2014The model aims to continue bringing into play the role of Women's Unions at all levels in joint efforts for environmental protection. The Hai Duong ...
- Unilever : Solving water, sanitation & hygiene problems Fri, 25Jul2014Release date- 21072014 - Companies like Unilever can use their understanding of marketing to help solve the world's water, sanitation and hygiene ...
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Flying Technical Support at ACF, Afghanistan Fri, 25Jul2014Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Flying Technical Support at ACF, Afghanistan.
- Water & Sanitation Fri, 25Jul2014Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system.
- Water for life Fri, 25Jul2014However, it was reassuring to find in the budget speech some awareness of India's failings on the water and sanitation front. Since it is estimated that ...
- Water and Sanitation for Urban Poor Fri, 25Jul20141 jobs with Water and Sanitation for Urban Poor to view and apply for now with AccountancyAgeJobs.
- YALI 7.24.14 Water and Sanitation Fri, 25Jul2014This is "YALI 7.24.14 Water and Sanitation" by HHHTEL on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
- Northwater Expands to Bring Additional Water & Sanitation Capacity to Haiti Fri, 25Jul2014CHAPEL HILL, NORTH CAROLINA (July 25, 2014) A geologist and engineer with notable experience in Haiti has joined Northwater Consulting.
- Practical Guide to Triggering Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) Fri, 25Jul2014Poor access to adequate sanitation, resulting in the practice of widespread open defecation, has negative health and social impacts on communities, ...
- Syria A lack of #water and #sanitation Fri, 25Jul2014Syria A lack of #water and #sanitation in displaced communities leads to a rise in #communicablediseases - IFRC http://ow.ly/zyYcg.
- Study Description Fri, 25Jul2014In response to the preventable threats posed by poor sanitation and hygiene, in December 2006 the Water and Sanitation Program (WSP) launched ...
- Paper: 3D Printing (3DP): A humanitarian logistic game changer? ow.ly/zz1ll 1 hour ago
- Why $toilets are essential for growing healthy children | Guardian ow.ly/zz0g9 #globalhealth #sanitation #WASHnow 4 hours ago
- RT @eswlupton: Water fact of the day: Water ATMs bring #cleanwater to #Delhi bbc.in/1nomSWQ @BBCWorld #reverseosmosis #WASH http://… 6 hours ago
- RT @WASHfunders: No more fairy tales - why government leadership is critical to sustainable #WASH ow.ly/zuwzK via @IRCWASH 7 hours ago
- RT @WorldHygienePrg: Today's edition of The Daily #WASH is out bit.ly/TheDailyWASH Stories via @WASHadvocates @GlobalSoap @Water_Decade 7 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch