A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Review law on sanitation, UN advises State Wed, 30Jul2014UN Special Rapporteur on the human right to safe drinking water and sanitation, Catarina de Albuquerque, who has been on a seven-day official visit ...
- Vaccination vs. Sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014It spreads through bacteria-contaminated food and water, and is most common in places with poor water quality and sanitation. Many at-risk areas lack ...
- download Access to Water, Sanitation, and Public Health Services Amon Tue, 29Jul2014download Access to Water, Sanitation, and Public Health Services Amon. Popular books: download El Tesoro de Capitan Nemo / Captain Nemo's ...
- Commission opposes water, sewer changes Tue, 29Jul2014The new amendment states that the Frederick County Sanitation Authority would be the party responsible for providing water and sewer service to the ...
- economic benefits of expanding the brazilian sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014(the 2011 National System of Sanitation Indexes,. SNIS in Portuguese) about 36 million Brazilians do not have access to treated water yet, only.
- Reducing cost and maximizing sanitation demands: WSA proposes Ecofin as the Solution Tue, 29Jul2014It is common knowledge that high cost is indeed an obstacle when it comes to the African household's demands for sanitation services, the simple ...
- Karnataka: CDLG for water and sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014Drawing experience from research with Grama Panchayats in Kolar and Chikkabalapur districts, Centre for Decentralised Local Governance (CDLG), ...
- Mothers and children can't wait another year for clean water Tue, 29Jul2014In the next two months, Congress has the opportunity to improve the way it spends U.S. foreign aid on clean water, sanitation and hygiene programs ...
- Child migration sheds light on poverty, desperation many Hondurans face daily Tue, 29Jul2014With access to clean water, safe sanitation and hygiene education, the health of coffee farmers and their families is greatly increased. Access to safe ...
- Water And Sanitation Systems Jobs In Delhi Tue, 29Jul2014water and sanitation systems Jobs in Delhi. Search & apply to best available vacancies in Delhi, from Top Indian & International Companies ...
- Water And Sanitation Jobs In Delhi Tue, 29Jul2014water and sanitation Jobs in Delhi. Search & apply to best available vacancies in Delhi, from Top Indian & International Companies on ...
- Katsina Govt. Spends N500m On Water, Sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014Katsina State Government said on Wednesday that it spent more than N500 million on the execution of sanitation, hygiene and water supply projects ...
- SA may need to turn to private sector to solve its water crisis Tue, 29Jul2014South Africa's water and sanitation infrastructure is crumbling because of a chronic lack of investment. The department of water affairs says it needs ...
- Programme for Sustainable Water and Sanitation Services in Peri-urban Areas Tue, 29Jul2014Bolivia has enshrined the human right to water and sanitation in its constitution. However, about one fifth of the population still does not have access to ...
- 'Cameras Not the Priority in Govt Schools' Tue, 29Jul2014It should be provision of clean drinking water, sanitation and repairs,” said Commissioner for Public Instruction Mohammad Mohsin. Statistics show ...
- sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014Septic tanks are essentially individual water sanitation systems for households not connected to the city line. Solid waste is separated from liquid ...
- The Girl-Child and Challenge of Toilet Facilities in Public Schools Mon, 28Jul2014I always need water to clean myself whenever I use the toilet and that is ... Speaking at a two-day media dialogue on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene ...
- The right to water in Gaza Mon, 28Jul2014... 1.2 million people -- are suffering from severe disruptions to the water and sewage systems, according to Emergency Water Sanitation and Hygiene, ...
- World Bank, others okay $638m for water, #sanitation for Nigeria | The Nation ow.ly/zGquc 13 hours ago
- RT @ReachScale: Women & girls are dying for lack of toilets; businesses can help via @guardian #Sanitation #gender - klou.tt/14gd1689my0xd 1 day ago
- RT @dietvorst: High-tech #toilets get all the attention but low-tech solutions more practical in poor countries #sanitation - http://t.co/y… 1 day ago
- RT @washplusinfo: Compendium of #Sanitation Systems and Technologies, 2nd Edition. IWA; EAWAG, wp.me/paGBZ-2H2 via @dietvorst 1 day ago
- Identification of #water quality degradation hotspots in developing countries by applying large scale qlty model ow.ly/zGvi8 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch