A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Woodland, UNICEF to launch water, sanitation campaign in Assam Sat, 26Jul2014Footwear and apparel maker Woodland has tied up with UNICEF to promote a water, sanitation and hygiene campaign (WASH) in Assam. This is the ...
- Small stall free bottled water every day to adhere to sanitation workers are like Sat, 26Jul2014Only one hundred block yourself daily gross income , but adhere to the sanitation workers , said a little love. Yesterday, Hanyang Zhongjiacun nearby ...
- Water and Sanitation Development FacilityPublish Date: Jul 26, 2014 Sat, 26Jul2014The Government of Uganda has secured funds from the European Union (EU) under the MDG Initiative through the Ministry of Water and Environment, ...
- Lack of Water Unseen Problem in Gaza Conflict Sat, 26Jul2014Primarily amongst these are a lack of clean drinking water. ... to try to help with the problems, which include emergency repairs to sanitation systems.
- Mombasa Water Supply And Sanitation Limited Sat, 26Jul2014dgMarket is the largest portal for tenders and consulting opportunities worldwide, with solicitations from national governments and international donor ...
- Civil Engineer (rural Water & Sanitation Projects) for NGO at Mumbai Sat, 26Jul2014Job detail for the post of Civil Engineer (rural Water & Sanitation Projects) for NGO at Mumbai in SWADES FOUNDATION Mumbai, 10 to 20 years of experience.
- Water and sanitation in Latin America – Supporting community organizations Sat, 26Jul2014In Water provision and cleansing in Honduras|Honduras aid to group corporations (Juntas de Agua) is assigned to the Social Fund FHIS, ...
- Egypt Sat, 26Jul2014job - Workers - Holding Company for Water Supply and Sanitation Egypt - - Egypt - Bani Suef 25/07/2014.
- Nullah Leh: Water-level termed normal, at the moment Sat, 26Jul2014RAWALPINDI: The Water and Sanitation Agency (Wasa) on Friday said Nullah Leh has been flowing at normal levels during the current monsoon ...
- Civil Engineer (rural Water & Sanitation Projects) for NGO at Mumbai, 10 Sat, 26Jul2014SWADES FOUNDATION facebook Civil Engineer (rural Water & Sanitation Projects) for NGO at Mumbai, 10 twitter Civil Engineer (rural Water ...
- ZITF plans new energy, water and sanitation exhibition for Bulawayo Sat, 26Jul2014The new Zimbabwe International Trade Fair initiative, known as Water, Sanitation and Energy Expo (WASHen), which will present opportunities for ...
- Drinking Water and Sanitation Sat, 26Jul2014You are here : Home · State Agencies · Drinking Water and Sanitation; Whos Who. Press Release · Acts & Rules · Allotment Orders · Policies ...
- Water Supply And Sanitation In “Choha Shahghareb” Fri, 25Jul2014The center for survival of human beings revolves around water .Human ... Keeping proper check on sanitation system is equally important as, clean ...
- Nigeria cholera outbreak infects over 300 and kills 7 people Fri, 25Jul2014Adding to this, less than 50 percent of the population has access to clean potable water or adequate sanitation facilities. Not only does Nigeria suffer ...
- United States Fund For Unicef Jobs Fri, 25Jul2014... and improve childrens lives, providing health care and immunizations, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief, and more.
- 'Dire' water shortages in Syria, as ambush kills 50 pro-Assad soldiers Fri, 25Jul2014The Red Cross and Red Crescent warned on Friday that the ongoing conflict as well as existing damage to water and sanitation infrastructure will ...
- CDA cancels leaves of sanitary workers on Eid Fri, 25Jul2014He directed for constitution of special sanitation teams for cleaning the ... sectors and inspect the arrangement about the sanitation and water supply.
- Ḿr Muaz Fri, 25Jul2014Water, sanitation, sewage, and drinking water,electricity infrastructures are in need of extensive repairs in #Gaza #GazaUndrAttack.
- Mongolia: Individual Consultant on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Fri, 25Jul2014Country: Mongolia Closing date: 08 Aug 2014 1.Objectives and target 1.1 Background The Government of Mongolia and UNICEF current Country ...
- At least 50 percent of all of Gaza's water and sanitation infrastructure is no longer functioning. Fri, 25Jul2014At least 50 percent of all of Gaza's water and sanitation infrastructure is no longer functioning. newshour: UNICEF officer Pernille Ironside says there ...
- RT @zenrainman: This is the way to a comprehensive approach to a water sensitive city thehindu.com/todays-paper/t… #Bangalore 1 hour ago
- Global Health & Innovation Conference, a # GlobalHealth and Social Entrepreneurship Conference March 2015 at Yale U. ow.ly/zBwQb 2 hours ago
- Nearly 1 million children under 5 in #SouthSudan will require treatment for acute malnutrition per UNICEF / WFP ow.ly/zBxa4 10 hours ago
- RT @medindoagua: The Água & Water Daily is out! paper.li/medindoagua/ag… Stories via @saveourwater @WASHLink @WSUPUK 18 hours ago
- Paper: 3D Printing (3DP): A humanitarian logistic game changer? ow.ly/zz1ll 20 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch