A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Surmount water, sanitation challenges Sat, 30Aug2014THERE is no doubt that water supply and sanitation in Zambia has had its share of achievements just as it has equally faced challenges. Some of the ...
- Working With Indigenous Peoples In Rural Water Sanitation A New Report Sat, 30Aug2014Working With Indigenous Peoples In Rural Water Sanitation A New Report images, videos and news can be Drag at site.co.uk a new search engine ...
- Qingdao Planning Commission issued warning: infant swimming places water sanitation is not ... Sat, 30Aug2014xinhuanet.com Shandong channel on 30 August, (reporter Wang Haiying) Shandong province Qingdao city health and Family Planning Commission ...
- Matt Damon uses toilet water for Ice Bucket Challenge Sat, 30Aug2014Matt Damon was challenged to take the ALSA Ice Bucket Challenge. But to make a statement about the issue of water shortages and lack of sanitation ...
- Building WOPs for Sustainable Development in Water and Sanitation Sat, 30Aug2014Water operators worldwide are in need of assistance and capacity building support to sharpen service delivery. Experienced water operators ...
- Home burials hindering provision of potable water in U/W Sat, 30Aug2014The Upper West Regional Director of the Community Water and Sanitation Agency has advised traditional authorities and all other relevant bodies in ...
- Water Supply, Drainage and Sanitation Pack Sat, 30Aug2014You can download Water Supply, Drainage and Sanitation Pack pdf book from here. Water Supply, Drainage and Sanitation Pack. Building Research ...
- Maharashtra Water Supply and Sanitation Department Order No:Grapapu-2014/Para No.97/Papu ... Sat, 30Aug2014Secretary, Department of Water Supply and Sanitation, 3. Chief Engineer, Department of Water Supply and Sanitation, 4. Superintending Engineer ...
- Take Action! Sat, 30Aug2014Youth in Canada and in developing countries around the world have been a strong driving force in making change within the WASH (water, sanitation ...
- Water Sanitation Hygiene Sat, 30Aug2014Total: $ 27,500,000. Funding figures as reported to FTS. Funding is the sum of commitments and paid contributions.
- Peri-Urban Water and Sanitation Services Sat, 30Aug2014You can download Peri-Urban Water and Sanitation Services pdf book from here. Peri-Urban Water and Sanitation Services. The Climax (v. 2).
- Peri-urban Water and Sanitation Services: Policy, Planning and Method Sat, 30Aug2014Download book Peri-urban Water and Sanitation Services: Policy, Planning and Method pdf . Peri-urban Water and Sanitation Services: Policy, ...
- IIHMR to construct new toilets in 6500 schools in support of "Swach Bharat" Sat, 30Aug2014... said, “IIHMR University has constantly played a vital role in improvement of health care management and related programs of water and sanitation.
- Proposal for Conduct Qmr's (Quality Management Representatives) Sat, 30Aug2014Proposal for Conduct Qmr's (Quality Management Representatives) Training For Water & Sanitation Department. Request For Proposals.
- Water Supply & Sanitation Sat, 30Aug201430 - WATER SUPPLY & SANITATION m·urE nZ 30 - panE 垟agan Aar_ AnamR^. 1-Estimates of the amount required for the year ending 31st March, ...
- rural water & sanitation dept. odisha Sat, 30Aug2014Complete list of RURAL WATER & SANITATION DEPT. ODISHA complaints. Scam, unauthorized charges, rip off, defective product, poor service.
- UWSSC Member Graphical Sat, 30Aug2014Uttarakhand Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Program (Sector Program). Summary of UWSSC Member. 39%. 61%. Swaj al. 35%. 65%. UJN. 35%.
- Implementing A Water And Sanitation Project In Turkana Sat, 30Aug2014In partnership with Turkana County Government, Oxfam and Practical Action are implementing a water and sanitation project in Turkana. As part of this ...
- Department of Water and Sanitation Sat, 30Aug2014Check out this video of the Women in Water Awards.
- Rincon raises fire, sanitation, water and sewer fees Fri, 29Aug2014Rincon City Council members agreed unanimously on Aug. 25 to raise fire, sanitation, water and sewer fees as of Oct. 1. Residential fire fees have ...
- RT @NedBreslin: #Sanitation superheroine Sherina Munyana of @waterforpeople: Love this! magazine.good.is/articles/sanit… via @good 3 hours ago
- RT @johnwsauer: #BoPConvEx learning: microenterprises need some type of aggregator with serious commercial skill to drive scale. #sanitation 3 hours ago
- RT @jenfhaile: Building toilets for #women is fundamental to gender equality, education, and safety. gu.com/p/4xx85/tw @guardian #sani… 3 hours ago
- cool: 99 seconds on the toilet: a Guardian video animation | @sanupdates ow.ly/AQuHx #Watsan 1 day ago
- Job posting: Indonesia: Short Term: Sanitation Toolkit Development Specialist ow.ly/AQqN3 #watsan #wash 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch