A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- WASH (Water, Hygeine and Sanitation) for Muanacha | Primeiras ... Sat, 07Dec2013Today, I am a very happy woman. My children , other women and children in the community, will not suffer anymore with the problem of water scarcity and poor ...primeirasesegundas
- Water supply and sanitation in France - YouTube Sat, 07Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in France is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check us ou.
- Can Gore Creek water improve? Sat, 07Dec2013Linn Brooks, general manager of the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District, likened the stream's health to be wounded by 1,000 cuts, a problem that may take ...
- Water and Sanitation - YouTube Fri, 06Dec2013Water and Sanitation as a Human Rightby International Decade for Action 'Water for Life' 2005-20151,104 views · 10:06. Watch Later Water & Sanitation for the ...
- Tech way to water and sanitation - The Telegraph Fri, 06Dec2013Simple technologies are helping affordable, safe and sustainable access to water and sanitation services in neighbouring Bangladesh and the models can be ...
- Water supply and sanitation in Vietnam - YouTube Fri, 06Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in Vietnam is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check us o.
- 1 bedroom spacious apartment water & sanitation included Fri, 06Dec2013Convenient Norfolk location-minutes from downtown, shopping and military bases!!! All utilities paid except electric!!! Free full size washer/dryer included in ...
- Time running out on the MDGs Fri, 06Dec2013Goals on access to water has been achieved, but goals for sanitation are among the most off-track. Photo by: Bart Verweij / World Bank / CC BY-NC-ND.
- Bolivia to Improve Drinking Water, Sewage Systems for 145000 ... Fri, 06Dec2013Water and sanitation are two strategic priorities for Bolivia , which has developed a National Plan for Basic Sanitation to establish priorities for confronting ...
- Residents of Baga-as, Hinigaran town have water at last Fri, 06Dec2013Dubbed as the Community managed Potable Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (CPWASH), the project aims to provide the facilities and capabilities with ...
- Sanitation - International Rescue Committee UK Fri, 06Dec2013The IRC is providing emergency supplies, water, sanitation, health care and other assistance to thousands of Ethiopian migrant workers and their families who ...
- Third Hashimoto Action Plan - Water Library | UN Documentation ... Fri, 06Dec2013The Plan calls for a final push to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on water and sanitation, noting that the sanitation target is among the most ...
- Kimberly-Clark Announces Grant Winner for Global Hygiene Initiative Thu, 05Dec2013ROSWELL, Ga., Dec. 5, 2013 -- /PRNewswire/ -- Kimberly-Clark Corp. will donate $50,000 in support of a UNICEF clean water, sanitation and hygiene project in ...
- Women and natural resources - Water Library | UN Documentation ... Thu, 05Dec2013UN Search. International Decade for Action "Water for Life" 2005-2015 RSS SubscribeEnglish Español · UN Documentation Centre on Water and Sanitation ...
- Forests Challenge Badge - Water Library | UN Documentation ... Thu, 05Dec2013UN Documentation Centre on Water and Sanitation ... how forests provide essential ecosystem services such as clean air, water, and climate change mitigation.
- Water.org co-founder to speak at graduation Wed, 04Dec2013White is a leading advisor in the water and sanitation sector and a founding board member of the Millennium Water Alliance and WASH Advocates. In March ...
- Venezuela launches US$10mn sanitation works in Zulia Fri, 22Nov2013Venezuela has announced 62mn bolívares (US$10mn) in sanitation works in north-western Zulia state.The government will replace two stretches of waste water ...
- RT @picardonhealth: The life cycle of a girl - based on access to water & sanitation http://t.co/nu3hU38oVH (infographic) via @GirlsGlobe @… 3 days ago
- RT @washplusinfo: WEDC, Mainstreaming disability and ageing in #WASH programs, ow.ly/rpOpM 3 days ago
- RT @roachmary: 600M ppl have access to #mobile network but lack electricity.@GSMAMECS releases market sizing report ow.ly/rpzYJ … 3 days ago
- Water And Sanitation Services In Punjab PakistanTraining Workshop Dec 16-19 ow.ly/ro4Ir #WATSAN #WASH 3 days ago
- RT @valerielabi: #Celebratethetoilet #innovation and #sanitation go hand in hand #ipad toilet roll holder! http://t.co/RElpAbsMAK 4 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente