A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Tahderiyyah: Peace's starting line Sat, 25Oct2014... early childhood care and development (ECCD), which is composed of three complementary pillars: water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and child ...
- Challenge of urbanisation Sat, 25Oct2014It is an issue of sustained access to municipal services which ensure education, better health, water and sanitation, street lights, public transport and ...
- Alarm bells Sat, 25Oct2014And iii) on food utilization which means getting food assimilated in once body for which health, sanitation, clean drinking water, and education are ...
- Ircon, one of many Indian firms involved in SL projects Sat, 25Oct2014One sector, in particular, where interest is high is water infrastructure. ... is water and sanitation,” said Ravi Kulkarni, a director of Pratibha Industries, ...
- Crisis in Nakuru as vicious boardroom wars jolt water firm Sat, 25Oct2014Crisis in Nakuru as vicious boardroom wars jolt water firm ... over the control of the Nakuru Water and Sanitation Services Company ( Nawassco).
- Global hand washing day at Tening town Sat, 25Oct2014Global Hand Washing Day was also observed on October 15 at Tening town which was organized by the District Water and Sanitation Mission ...
- Angola Has 520 Vocational Training Centres - Minister Sat, 25Oct2014According to the minister, several sectors of the country's economy, such as agriculture, livestock, energy and water, sanitation, industry, geology and ...
- WaSH critical to child nutrition Sat, 25Oct2014Good water, sanitation and hygiene (WaSH) practices during this critical time can reduce the number of infections and support good appetites.
- Film on Indore building with water and power saving model bags Delft award Sat, 25Oct2014In the movie, Rahul Banerjee, an urban water expert (and also the building owner), tells about how we can manage our water and sanitation problems ...
- and Ricardo will match it.… Sat, 25Oct2014Give $1 to 'Water and Sanitation in Tanzania' and Ricardo will match it. Support Gram Vikas USA Inc. together! – One Today by +Google ...
- Most UP committees dysfunctional Sat, 25Oct2014... rural infrastructure, conservation and maintenance; law-and-order maintenance; birth and death registration; sanitation, water supply and sewerage; ...
- Sanitation truck cracks utility pole on Duckworth Street Sat, 25Oct2014The sanitation truck that hit the pole has been removed, and four ... Prescott Street remains closed from Gower Street to Water Street; and Duckworth ...
- Council seek views on gipsies Sat, 25Oct2014Such sites would ideally require the same facilities – water, sanitation and power – as permanent sites.” Anyone with views can email them to Paul ...
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Sat, 25Oct2014This is a preview of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Project Manager job at Medair. To view the full job listing, join LinkedIn - its free!
- Sanitation Project Sat, 25Oct2014Government is providing piped water system to four communities in the Upper West Region, under the Sustainable Rural Water and Sanitation Project.
- Water and Sanitation Specialists Sat, 25Oct2014Apply for Water and Sanitation Specialists Job in MSF India in Delhi. Find related Water and Sanitation Specialists jobs in Delhi. Register for free and ...
- Sanitation Specialists Jobs In Delhi Sat, 25Oct2014Water and Sanitation Specialists (2 - 7 yrs) Médecins Sans Frontières ... monitoring and evaluation advocacy construction technology water sanitation.
- Water and Sanitation in Tourist Areas in Dominican Republic Sat, 25Oct2014Water and Sanitation in Tourist Areas in Dominican Republic: Information System for Commercial Management and COAAROM CORAAMOCA ...
- 600 turn up to cycle for Gaza Sat, 25Oct2014Since the conflict has been halted, MERCY Malaysia has embarked on recovery projects in terms of Health facilities, Water sanitation, education and ...
- ZCWD conducts WASH orientation in Boalan Sat, 25Oct2014... Program, continues with the series of orientations on Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and water conservation at Barangay Hall of Boalan.
- Bile-making microbe fights off germ behind chronic # diarrhea | Science/AAAS ow.ly/Dkg7u #globalheath Clostridium difficile 8 hours ago
- TED Talk: Francis de los Reyes: Sanitation is a basic human right wp.me/pCkIF-xK 9 hours ago
- the future: Detecting #Ebola with a Piece of Paper | MIT Technology Review ow.ly/Dkiov #globalhealth 11 hours ago
- RT @AfriCrop: Irony: @WorldBank staff fight against restructuring and downsizing of the #WorldBank bitly.com/1t1Rmzi http://t.co/vmcyj… 11 hours ago
- check out conference page for India Sanitation Summit goo.gl/VOvRqh #WASH #ECOSAN #SANITATION #CLTS 11 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch