A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- The Economist explains: Why sanitation should be sacred - Inagist Wed, 23Apr2014In Myanmar, we helped improve water, sanitation and hygiene for 2,140 ... has helped 57 rural villages improve their water and sanitation systems.
- Rate Hike Could Pay for SCV Chloride Treatment Wed, 23Apr2014[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District officials introduced a ... in water flowing downstream to Ventura County from local treatment plants.
- Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District Discusses Rate-Hike Proposal Wed, 23Apr2014Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District officials introduced a rate-hike ... in water flowing downstream to Ventura County from local treatment plants.
- In Myanmar, we helped improve water, sanitation and hygiene for 2,140 households ... - Inagist Wed, 23Apr2014Myanmar: Creating easy access to safe water | UNDP. A UNDP project in Myanmar has helped 57 rural villages improve their water and sanitation ...
- Wells run dry in St. Mary's Glacier area; locals filling jugs Wed, 23Apr2014Four water wells, operated by the St. Mary's Glacier Water & Sanitation District, emptied to "dangerously low" levels, and the water supply for residents ...
- It Starts With Water! Beautiful People & A Great Cause – The FACE Africa 5th Annual WASH Gala Wed, 23Apr2014On March 22, 2014, UN World Water Day, FACE Africa held its 5th Annual WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Gala in New York City at Chelsea ...
- Stakes of sanitation in Sri Lanka | DailyFT - Be Empowered Wed, 23Apr2014According to the 2012 statistics of the Sanitation Bureau, only 2.4% of the ... As drinking water coverage is almost 100%, sanitation is now becoming ...bandara
- Panelists: Proper nutrition, water, sanitation key to children's health | UNL Newsroom | University of ... Wed, 23Apr2014In short, the panel outlined how food security, safe and plentiful water and sanitation are key in helping children in the developing world thrive.
- DPW - Labour Intensive Construction Guideline for Water Provisioning, Sanitation, Solid Waste and ... Wed, 23Apr2014DPW - Labour Intensive Construction Guideline for Water Provisioning, Sanitation, Solid Waste and Building Works: 20131129.
- Sustainable Sanitation & Hygiene for All Results Programme | SNV World Wed, 23Apr2014Access to improved sanitation is a basic human right. ... Developed since 2008 by SNV and IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre in Nepal, ...
- Download book Access to Water, Sanitation, and Public Health Services Amon pdf - Google Docs Wed, 23Apr2014Download Access to Water, Sanitation, and Public Health Services Amon book pdf. You can download your book here. Access to Water, Sanitation, ...
- Water & Sanitation Engineer Jobs Kenya | East Africa Standard Wed, 23Apr2014By career point The post Water & Sanitation Engineer Jobs Kenya appeared first on Career Point Kenya.Click on the TITLE link for the …read more.
- 2014 Watering Schedule - Snowmass Water & Sanitation District Wed, 23Apr2014Watering restrictions apply year round. No watering between 10am and 5pm on any day. The line separating the NORTH and SOUTH watering zones ...
- Water & Sanitation Engineer Jobs Kenya - Career Point Kenya Wed, 23Apr2014Water & Sanitation Engineer Jobs Kenya. Posted on April 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm. Engineering Jobs Kenya. SAI Consulting Engineers Pvt. Ltd., is a ...
- When you're managing water you're managing food, drinking, sanitation and more. More ... - Inagist Wed, 23Apr2014When you're managing water you're managing food, drinking, sanitation and more. More on water and conflict- http://t.co/2dmtyG3A6I by Water ...
- Berkeley County Water & Sanitation | Immedion Wed, 23Apr2014Berkeley County Water & Sanitation (BCWS) specializes in potable water distribution, the collection and treatment of waste water,recycling and solid ...
- Our approach - WaterAid - Where we work - Japan Wed, 23Apr2014Water and sanitation underpin health, education and livelihoods. ... Without safe water or sanitation, people are trapped in a cycle of poverty and ...
- WATER & SANITATION SERVICES & CLEANSING & SOLID WASTE Tender documents ... - Durban Wed, 23Apr2014WATER & SANITATION SERVICES & CLEANSING & SOLID WASTE. Tender documents (available in English) are obtainable from the Cashier, ...
- WATER & SANITATION SERVICES & CLEANSING & SOLID WASTE Tender documents ... - Durban Wed, 23Apr2014Tender documents (available in English) are obtainable from the Cashier, eThekwini Water &. Sanitation Unit, Customer Services Building, 133 KE ...
- water and sanitation agency invitation for expression of interests - Ad on newspaper | Ad on ... Wed, 23Apr2014Water And Sanitation Agency Invitation For Expression of Interest Water and sanitation agency WASA Lda govt of the punjab intends to hire services of ...
- From the E4C community: #Biotoilets are tough on waste in India | @engineer4change ow.ly/w67Dz #WATSAN #sanitation 1 hour ago
- Corruption in the Water Sector | West Africa WASH Journalists Network ow.ly/w678h #watersecurity #WATSAN #water4all 1 hour ago
- RT @HaitiWater: Pressure mounts on #UN still refusing responsibility for #Haiti #cholera nyti.ms/1gWNScs 1 hour ago
- RT @Clare__B: "Partnerships Will Lead the Way in Post-2015" @AliceAlbright reflects on #GPHLM Focus Session w/ @sanwatforall & #IHP http://… 1 hour ago
- Journal article - Processing of human faeces by wet #vermifiltration (worms) for improved on-site #sanitation $fee ow.ly/w0OVc 12 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch