A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Opinion: Alberta charities show smaller can be better Sun, 08Dec2013Olivier Mills, centre, of the Calgary-based Centre for Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology, has helped develop the centre's services to French Africa and ...
- Community Water, Sanitation, and Health Project in Malawi | Devex Sun, 08Dec2013The main objective of the Community Water, Sanitation, and Health Project in Malawi is to strengthen the local and national capacity to implement sustainable ...
- Philippine Health Sector Reform Project: Procurement of Water ... Sun, 08Dec2013Philippine Health Sector Reform Project: Procurement of Water Sanitation Equipment in Lanao del Norte. Funded by EuropeAid Co-operation Office - EuropeAID ...
- Water supply and sanitation in Burkina Faso - YouTube Sat, 07Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in Burkina Faso is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check.
- GLOBAL WATER/SANITATION OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS ... Sat, 07Dec2013GLOBAL WATER/SANITATION OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS IN SPRING TERM 2014. Dear students, worldwide problems related to unsafe drinking water ...
- Programme Officer, Sanitation and Water for All - UN Job List Sat, 07Dec2013UN Job List - Redirect to vacancy: Programme Officer, Sanitation and Water for All in Geneva, Switzerland offered by UNOPS VA ID: 287377. All vacancies ...
- RT @picardonhealth: The life cycle of a girl - based on access to water & sanitation http://t.co/nu3hU38oVH (infographic) via @GirlsGlobe @… 5 days ago
- RT @washplusinfo: WEDC, Mainstreaming disability and ageing in #WASH programs, ow.ly/rpOpM 5 days ago
- RT @roachmary: 600M ppl have access to #mobile network but lack electricity.@GSMAMECS releases market sizing report ow.ly/rpzYJ … 5 days ago
- Water And Sanitation Services In Punjab PakistanTraining Workshop Dec 16-19 ow.ly/ro4Ir #WATSAN #WASH 5 days ago
- RT @valerielabi: #Celebratethetoilet #innovation and #sanitation go hand in hand #ipad toilet roll holder! http://t.co/RElpAbsMAK 6 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente