A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Water and Sanitation Company Jobs in Lahore as CEO, Company Secretary Mon, 20Oct2014Water and sanitation Company Lahore is a subsidiary of Lahore Development Authority (LDA). established under Section 42 of Companies Ordinance ...
- Parker explains $200K 'sticking point' Mon, 20Oct2014Had the town of Dublin decided to pursue refinancing of its water system, it would have ... The proposal would have required the town to pledge all of its Enterprise (water, sewer, sanitation and industrial park) funds as collateral, but ...
- Windham schools to get new wells Mon, 20Oct2014School leaders shut down the school for several days while the school's water system underwent long-term sanitation processes and several tests.
- Huge 2 Bedroom for $795 water sewer sanitation included Mon, 20Oct2014$795 / 2br - Huge 2 Bedroom for $795 water sewer sanitation included. < >. image 1. 2BR / 1.5Ba apartment available oct 20. $795-850 / 2br -- 1200ft ...
- Minister backs policy 'clash' Mon, 20Oct2014On the sanitation status in the country, the agriculture minister said government is committed to working with different organisations in improving water, ...
- Dirty water kills thousands Mon, 20Oct2014Inadequate access to clean water and sanitation is the reason why hundreds of thousands die in Africa the organization Good Governance Africa ...
- Oxfam: Only a Concerted and Co-ordinated Global Effort Will Stop Ebola Spread. Mon, 20Oct2014“Oxfam is concentrating its work in Sierra Leone and Liberia on helping to prevent the spread of Ebola, through clean water and sanitation provision ...
- Outreach Scout Foundation (OSF) Mon, 20Oct2014PMTCT and Public Health; Environment management; Agriculture and Food Security; Rural water supply, sanitation hygiene. Affiliation/Networks.
- Grappling with a cholera epidemic in northern Cameroon Mon, 20Oct2014... community awareness on good hygiene and sanitation practices through water purification campaigns, cleaning of gutters and water points, latrines, ...
- Grant Will Fund Study Of Public Policy Health Impacts Mon, 20Oct20143) development and pilot testing of a model for assessing health impacts of water and sanitation in border communities using the case of the colonia ...
- SMEs to Develop Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Products UNICEF Uganda Uganda Jobline Mon, 20Oct2014UNICEF, in partnership with Ugandan Makerere University, Aalto and Helsinki Finnish Universities, as well as Biolan Ltd, a Finnish water, sanitation ...
- How to chart alternative pathways for women Mon, 20Oct2014What is real development when care work is compromised because the basic infrastructure — water, sanitation, health, energy — needed to ...
- Position Vacant in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company Mon, 20Oct2014Position Vacant in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company. by Rabia Aslam 0. Last date for submission of application is 30-10-2014 (Thursday).
- United Nations agency ramps up for Gaza reconstruction push Mon, 20Oct2014UNRWA announced yesterday that it is now focusing on providing food, water and sanitation services to over 40,000 displaced people in 18 of its ...
- Gender Equality and Sustainable Development - Vital Interlinkages Mon, 20Oct2014It argues that around many issues - whether work and industrial production, population and reproduction, food and agriculture, or water, sanitation and ...
- Situation Vacant in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company Mon, 20Oct2014Situation Vacant in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company. by Sabiha Sehar 0. Last date for submission of application is 30-10-2014 (Thursday).
- Minister of Water and Sanitation Mon, 20Oct2014Search the site. You are here. Home » Ministers. Minister of Water and Sanitation. Nomvula Mokonyane · Subscribe to Minister of Water and Sanitation ...
- Repairs to Bulk Water & Sanitation Services - Phase 2 Mon, 20Oct2014dgMarket is the largest portal for tenders and consulting opportunities worldwide, with solicitations from national governments and international donor ...
- NGOs push for better sanitation, clean drinking water in schools Mon, 20Oct2014NGOs push for better sanitation, clean drinking water in schools. The Times of India. · an hr ago. Summary PUNE: The toilets and premises of the New ...
- Ebola's West African victims: Where's the outrage? Mon, 20Oct2014Many of the Ebola victims there lack even basic sanitation or running water, which is why the disease spreads so easily. (Video via Doctors Without ...
- RT @OpenSociety: In the #Ebola fight, a community-based approach is getting health-and economic-results: osf.to/1nr6Ugu 1 day ago
- RT @kanakokata: Impact of Inadequate Access to #WASH facilities on women&girls in India & Bangla via @WatSanCollabCou @SHAREresearch http:/… 1 day ago
- Those with wealth cannot build walls tall enough to keep out the rest - so should put those resources to helping others - like #Ebola #ntds 1 day ago
- RT @francetim: .@WHO admits botching response to #Ebola outbreak bit.ly/1yM2bds @Guardian 2 days ago
- RT @HEARDatUNSW: Experts Oppose #Ebola Travel Ban as Would Cut Off Worst-Hit Countries nyti.ms/1FfgcC7 NB to support countries & the… 2 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch