A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Water and sanitation: addressing inequalities : The Lancet Thu, 17Apr2014“Water is life”, said UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, at the opening session of the high-level meeting on sanitation and water for all, in Washington ...
- Adams County water and sanitation districts hold elections - Worldnews.com Thu, 17Apr2014One of the largest combined water and sanitation districts in the state is having an election May 6 for three open board seats. The South Adams ...
- Vail Daily column: Pass a tax to save cost? Thu, 17Apr2014If you are served by the Eagle River Water & Sanitation District, you have a thoroughly counterintuitive decision to make. Here it is: Vote “yes” to a ...
- Africa's Ongoing Water and Sanitation - One News Page [US] VIDEO Thu, 17Apr2014The World Bank says Africa is facing an ongoing, endemic water and sanitation crisis. Only 62% of Africans have access to safe water and only 60% ...
- Access to water‚ toilets to all by '30 Thu, 17Apr2014Almost 10,500 children under the age of five die every year of diarrhoeal diseases as they don't have access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Project Officer – Urban Sanitation · Myjoymarket - Ghana Free Classifieds Thu, 17Apr2014WSUP strengthens the capacity of service providers to deliver sustainable city-wide water and sanitation services, promote good hygiene and raise ...
- Simavi is an international non-profit... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Thu, 17Apr2014Simavi is an international non-profit organisation, striving for a world in which basic health is accessible to all. Through the EWP network, Simavi has ...
- The water and sanitation challenge in Nairobi County Thu, 17Apr2014Nairobi County is home to 3.14 million people (National Census 2009); this number rises to 4 million people during the day. It is estimated that 60% of ...
- Team Leader – Senior Urban Water Supply And Sanitation Specialist Ethiopia | Devex Jobs Thu, 17Apr2014SNV is looking for a Team Leader Senior Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Specialist Based in Ethiopia International Contract, 24 months initial ...
- Ethiopia commits to meet millennium development goals in water and sanitation by 2015 ... Thu, 17Apr2014The 2014 Sanitation and water for all (SWA) High-Level Meeting (HLM) was held on Friday 11 April 2014 at the World Bank in Washington DC.
- Water Engineer Job in Gauteng | CareerJunction WebRef 1634041 Thu, 17Apr2014Water Engineer Job available in Gauteng, Permanent position for a Skilled ... EE Engineer's Representative - Water & Sanitation (Well Established ...
- MCERF supports Team USA in Water Innovation Challenge - PHC News Thu, 17Apr2014During three days of intense competition, the teams will develop a series of real and innovative solutions for emerging water and sanitation problems ...
- India - Maharashtra rural water supply and sanitation program : fiduciary systems assessment | EU ... Thu, 17Apr2014The existing governance and accountability arrangements in water supply and sanitation department (WSSD) include the anti-corruption bureau, ...
- Adams County water and sanitation districts elections preview | Coyote Gulch - WordPress.com Thu, 17Apr2014From The Denver Post (Megan Mitchell): One of the largest combined water and sanitation districts in the state is having an election May 6 for three ...
- SWA 2014: Civil Society Voices Call for More and Better Targeted Resources ... - End Water Poverty Thu, 17Apr2014At meetings attended by, among others, ministers of finance from Southern countries, ministers responsible for water, sanitation and hygiene, ministers ...
- Adams County water and sanitation districts elections preview | Coyote Gulch - WordPress.com Thu, 17Apr2014From The Denver Post (Megan Mitchell): One of the largest combined water and sanitation districts in the state is having an election May 6 for three ...Coyote Gulch
- Survey for the Kenyan water and sanitation Market | The Water Network | by TallyFox Thu, 17Apr2014NGOs launch new tool to map water and sanitation in Kenya's largest slum · Partnering to Integrate Gender in Kenya's Water Sector · In Kenya, selling ...
- Research Manager, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Benefits ~ Find Jobs in Kenya - Blogger Thu, 17Apr2014Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Manager for the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) ...
- Agenda - Baca Grande Water and Sanitation District Thu, 17Apr2014BACA GRANDE WATER AND SANITATION DISTRICT. 57 Baca Grant Way South. Crestone, Colorado 81131. NOTICE OF REGULAR MEETING AND ...
- Twitter / RamsarConv: Water Supply and Sanitation: ... Thu, 17Apr2014Water Supply and Sanitation: How does your country do on this list: http://www.wssinfo.org/documents/?tx_displaycontroller[type]=country_files …
- RT @niallboot: Turned out to be a themed walk at this weeks Global #WASH Cluster meeting social event! #sanitation #ODF http://t.co/RvB7VDi… 7 hours ago
- RT @Worldwatch: Think Cities Are Crowded Now? bit.ly/Q6G3Hh http://t.co/wKdh0SfVY0 7 hours ago
- RT @GlobalWaterJobs: #waterjobs Program Officer, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, US): https://t.… 7 hours ago
- RT @CRHolmesIV: meeting water needs--more thoughts on USAID Water for Food Grand Challenge and USAID desalinization prize. http://t.co/Kja… 7 hours ago
- paper Industrialization vs. Water Quality: Impacts on #Sanitation and Hygiene in Haridwar District India ow.ly/vSbwi #WASH 11 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch