A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- general-worker-water-and-sanitation-wasa022s Fri, 24Oct2014Details: Published: 24 October 2014. Reference Number:WASA022S Position:General Worker. Department: Water and Sanitation Division:Operations
- Director of Finance and Administration - Uganda Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Fri, 24Oct2014The overall goal of USAID's WASH program in Uganda is to accelerate sustainable improvement in water and sanitation access and improve hygiene ...
- OPINION: Water Shutoffs and Unintended Consequences – Lessons from Detroit Fri, 24Oct2014CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts, Oct 24 2014 (IPS) - United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation ...
- Watertown Noon Rotary Club, for 100th anniversary project, targets water quality in Northern Ghana Fri, 24Oct2014Atia later would become the primary contact person for the water and sanitation project in northern Ghana when he became the first president of the ...
- UN complete 2089 projects across Pakistan in five-year : October 24, 2014, 10:32 pm Fri, 24Oct2014The sanitation project was carried out in collaboration with the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board, and has helped improve hygiene conditions for ...
- Burundi Ministry Holds Water, Sanitation Workshop Fri, 24Oct2014From 22nd to 23rd October, the Ministry of Water, Environment, Sanitation and Urbanism (MEEATU) organized a two day workshop to raise ...
- Office Coordinator Fri, 24Oct2014Closing Date 16 November 2014. Office Coordinator. Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor. Salary £28,000 per annum + up to maximum 5% pension ...
- CSR: Health, sanitation to be priority areas for Central PSUs Fri, 24Oct2014The Central Public Sector Enterprises as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) will have to give priority to safe drinking water for all, ...
- Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor Fri, 24Oct2014Alternatively, view roles similar to '', including: Your search for 'Job from Water & Sanitation for the Urban Poor' resulted in no matches. all Last 3 days ...
- Miami sex offenders forced to sleep in squalid railway camp, suit claims Fri, 24Oct2014There are no toilets, no sanitation, and many sleep on mats or in chairs. Disease, exposure to the elements, no drinkable water, these conditions make ...
- Struggling with sewage Fri, 24Oct2014The appalling condition of sanitation facilities in the state is well known by now. ... of septic tanks and come up with better ways to re-use treated water.
- Water and sanitation in Belém, Brazil Fri, 24Oct2014IDB supports infrastructure and water and sanitation reforms in Brazil.
- The sanitation challenge Fri, 24Oct2014In the sanitation parlance, development will be the best sanitizer too. It is another matter that the rich tend to consume more of resources like water and ...
- Sienna Miller narrowly avoided ISIS bombing while on humanitarian mission Fri, 24Oct2014IMC has had a base in Lebanon since 2006, offering sanitation, health care, water and medical services for those displaced by the wars in Syria and ...
- Embracing new technology for data collection in Zambia Fri, 24Oct2014This survey will help the Zambia Red Cross Society to understand the community they are working in by investigating the water and sanitation ...
- ACLU Sues Fla. County Over Sex Predator Law Fri, 24Oct2014It has no sanitation facilities, potable water, or other basic necessities, placing Plaintiffs in imminent risk of physical harm from attack, exposure, ...
- Micro-credit boosts access to water and sanitation in East Africa Fri, 24Oct2014NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- Communities in rural areas and urban slums across east Africa can access safe drinking water and sanitation thanks to ...
- IDB moves to improve water and sanitation services in Belém, Brazil Fri, 24Oct2014The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) has approved a $125 million loan to Brazil to support infrastructure and reforms aimed at improving water ...
- Biplya Fri, 24Oct2014SPECIAL PRICE Atlas Ozone Boy Water Sanitation System (Faucet Mounted, NO Batteries or wires, 1 Year Warranty!!) ONLINE ONLINE Atlas Ozone ...
- Asian Development Bank loans $500 million for urban services in Rajasthan Fri, 24Oct2014Another $250 million project loan will support water system improvements ... an additional $2 million grant from Sanitation Financing Partnership Trust Fund, supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, will also be provided.
- In #Guyana :Much More than a Mosquito Bite- Lymphatic filariasis #NTDs #WASH #WATSAN ow.ly/Dg4qy 1 hour ago
- #Burundi: New Norms for Disposing of Waste Water ow.ly/Dg3Iz allAfrica.com #sanitation 4 hours ago
- “Ebola is with us, here and now” | Oxfam America First Person Blog ow.ly/Dg2Xy 7 hours ago
- ECS is awards $210 k of seed funding to 4 research projects addressing technology gaps in water #sanitation & hygiene ow.ly/Dg3sQ 17 hours ago
- interesting site:Yemenwater | Yemen ranks among the top 5 most water scarce countries in the world ... ow.ly/DcAXO 22 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch