A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Junior Engineer Tue, 22Jul2014Assist in the design and implementation of infrastructure projects (Water & Sanitation specifically) and the infrastructure element of multi-disciplinary ...
- WATER, SANITATION AND HYGIENE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT Tue, 22Jul2014Created in 1979,Action contre la Faim (ACF) is a non-governmental organisation that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- ...
- Job for Water and Sanitation Agency Faisalabad Tue, 22Jul2014Job for Water and Sanitation Agency Faisalabad. by Ayesha Rehman 0. 1. Junior Accounts Assistant (Scale No 11) 2. Sub Engineer (Scale No 11) .
- Bringing water and sanitation to Haiti's schools Tue, 22Jul2014More than 60% of schools across the country (both public and private) had no access to water, hygiene or sanitation, creating a difficult learning ...
- More rural communities to get safe water by 2015 Tue, 22Jul2014The Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA) will provide safe and reliable water supply schemes in many more rural communities between ...
- Jobs For Junior Assistant Accountant In Water & Sanitation Agency FDA Faisalabad Tue, 22Jul2014Date Sheet, Past Papers Online, Admissions in Pakistan – MeraUstad.
- Rethinking the Metrics of Progress Tue, 22Jul2014In Malcolm Langford, Andy Sumner and Alicia Yamin (eds.), Millennium Development Goals and Human Rights: Past, Present and Future.
- Making Sustainable Rural Sanitation a Reality Tue, 22Jul2014This publication is intended to share insights and lessons from the Compact Sanitary Unit implementation project in Ecuador as well as findings about ...
- Water & Sanitation Tue, 22Jul2014Improved access to rural water supply and sanitation services in Ethiopia, in order to contribute to reduced poverty and enhanced productivity,.
- Telenor Pakistan donates Rs10mn for IDPs from North Waziristan Tue, 22Jul2014The donation aimed at extending relief and assistance will be utilized by PRCS to provide clean drinking water and sanitation facilities for 3 months to ...
- City needs R650m for water and sanitation infrastructure backlog Tue, 22Jul2014AN investigation into the status of all water and sanitation infrastructure owned by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality revealed that the city needs ...
- Water & Sanitation Agency Faisalabad Tender Notice Tue, 22Jul2014Water & Sanitation Agency Faisalabad Tender Notice ,careers admissions and tenders in Jang Newspaper Pakistan (22 July, 2014). Find out the ...
- Job For Water And Sanitation Agency Faisalabad Pakistan Tue, 22Jul2014Job For Water And Sanitation Agency Faisalabad Pakistan Nawai Waqat 22 July 2014.pakadds.com, online advertisements, admissions,jobs,tenders, ...
- Civil Engineer (rural Water & Sanitation Projects) for NGO at Mumbai Tue, 22Jul2014Job detail for the post of Civil Engineer (rural Water & Sanitation Projects) for NGO at Mumbai in SWADES FOUNDATION Mumbai, 10 to 20 years of ...
- UN ambassador to asses Kenya's water & sanitation Tue, 22Jul2014The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Water and Sanitation will visit Kenya to assess the country's water and sanitation.
- Germany and Uganda join hands to improve water and sanitation Tue, 22Jul2014Still, only 69 percent of Ugandans have access to clean water. German development cooperation with Uganda considers water and sanitation a ...
- PAHO/WHO receives UN emergency funds to restore water and sanitation in flooded areas of ... Tue, 22Jul2014In Asunción, displaced families are currently being housed in temporary shelters with poor water and sanitation infrastructure, making residents ...
- Paraguay: PAHO/WHO receives UN emergency funds to restore water and sanitation in flooded ... Tue, 22Jul2014Source: World Health Organization, Pan American Health Organization Country: Paraguay Washington, D.C., 21 July 2014 (PAHO/WHO) - The Pan ...
- 85% of Egypt's rural areas have no sanitation system Tue, 22Jul2014Al-Masry Al-Youm reported Monday that 20 million EGP will be allocated for providing access to drinking water and sanitation systems, and 10 million ...
- Water Supply and Sanitation in Turkey Tue, 22Jul2014Water Supply and Sanitation in Turkey by LLC Books and LLC Books. Water Supply and Sanitation in Turkey. You can download Water Supply and ...
- South Africa: Cape Town’s Chemical Toilets ‘Violate Human Rights’ | ow.ly/zqFA0 #WASHnow #WATSAN 1 hour ago
- metal break: Take a look at Montreal’s new see-through loo - Montreal | Globalnews.ca ow.ly/zqFcM 13 hours ago
- DUBAI : Water campaign launched to support #Syrian refugees ow.ly/zqEC1 #watersecurity #water4all 13 hours ago
- Evidence mounting that vaccines can stop #cholera outbreaks, but NGOs fear it distracts from improving #sanitation ow.ly/zqyMF 15 hours ago
- paper: Non-conventional public-private partnerships for #water supply to urban slums - Urban Water Journal - ow.ly/zlzNF fee :-( 22 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch