A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Nigeria violence pushes refugees and cholera across borders Fri, 31Oct2014Its victims are frequently infected through the ingestion of water and food ... of salt and sugar, and prevented through clean water and sanitation.
- Braving Ebola Fri, 31Oct2014J. Sam T. G. Siakor, 30, water, sanitation and hygiene supervisorJ. Sam T. G. Siakor, 30, water, sanitation and hygiene supervisorOnly specially ...
- WATER, SANITATION AND HYGIENE COORDINATOR (IPC: Infection and prevention and Control) Fri, 31Oct2014MISSION: Ensures that the management of the water, sanitation, hygiene, and waste activities are organised so that staff, patients, and the ...
- SOMALIA: Disbursement for water services to drought-affected people prioritised Fri, 31Oct2014Beled Hawa (RBC) The Common Humanitarian Fund has fast-tracked the disbursement of $700,000 for water, sanitation and hygiene projects to ...
- 'Taboo' Surrounding Toilets, Sanitation Hindering Progress Toward Improved Access Fri, 31Oct2014Diarrhea is the second largest cause of death after respiratory infections in young children," Frank Rijsberman, director of water, sanitation and ...
- CARE Staff Safe Amidst Heavy Fighting around Bentiu Fri, 31Oct2014CARE is providing emergency water, sanitation, hygiene services and education, in addition to nutrition and livelihoods assistance. CARE also ...
- Water and Sanitation on Usutu Water Supply pipeline water outage Fri, 31Oct2014The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) is mandated to ensure security of water supply for all facets of the lives and livelihoods of South ...
- South-South Cooperation: Brazil shares models for universal access to water and sanitation ... Fri, 31Oct2014The objective of the mission was to get insights on how Brazil has advanced in providing Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in urban areas, ...
- Zuma's N$100 million donation finally a reality Fri, 31Oct2014However, an official letter seen by New Era, from the South African Water and Sanitation Department to the Namibian Ministry of Agriculture, Water ...
- The 2014 Guardian World Cities Day Challenge – live Fri, 31Oct2014One Artbox created an image of water and sanitation inequity through an architectural representation made of iron and pipe, in which a group of ...
- (Concept Stage) - Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project Fri, 31Oct2014Home › International Organisations › Project Information Document (Concept Stage) – Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project – P147827 ...
- Iodine Showing Up In Water Near Ports Of LA, Long Beach Fri, 31Oct2014Iodine Showing Up In Water Near Ports Of LA, Long Beach ... Manley said he will work with the LA Department of Sanitation to monitor the level of ...
- Practical Action Water & Sanitation Project Officer Job in Lodwar, Turkana County, Kenya Fri, 31Oct2014Vacancy: Project Officer – Water & Sanitation Practical Action is an international non-governmental organization that uses technology to challenge ...
- Netherlands and World Bank Group Join Forces for Clean Water & Sanitation Fri, 31Oct2014The Netherlands has had an intimate relationship with water for centuries. The fact is that large parts of the country are below sea level and if it didn't ...
- 191 families get access to safe water in Baglung Fri, 31Oct2014191 families get access to safe water in Baglung ... by local Arnakot Deurali Drinking Water and Sanitation Project (ADDWSP) with financial assistance ...
- Secondary Towns Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Project in Bangladesh Fri, 31Oct2014Status. Large Opportunity Size. The objective of the project is to extend water supply and sanitation services to 853,000 people in 16 secondary towns.
- Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation, Government of India Fri, 31Oct2014Noted actor Nagarjuna Joins Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) Draw Mass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ra7upQL2K8#t=23 …
- Sanitation District demands $7 million from city of Ukiah Fri, 31Oct2014The Ukiah Valley Sanitation District is requesting that the city of Ukiah ... The city owns and operates the Ukiah Waste Water Treatment Plant, but ...
- A Mumbai school that made a difference for these tribals Fri, 31Oct2014Earlier, life was a harrowing experience with no water supply during summer, no roads or sanitation. Now, the village has a 2000 sq ft community hall, ...
- Tree Haus district seeks referendum to improve sewer line Thu, 30Oct2014The district was organized as the Tree Haus Water and Sanitation District in 1972 and became a metro district in 1982 when it gained ownership of its ...
- RT @CDDEP: Policies that will reduce volunteer numbers won't protect the public and will only make the Ebola crisis worse. http://t.co/tqJ3… 1 day ago
- RT @katrinacharles: Hot off the press:WHO guidance on Ebola & WASH. Key Q+As concerning water, sanitation + hygiene apps.who.int/iris/bitstream… 1 day ago
- RT @OxfamAmerica: "Ebola is with us – here and now. It is an invisible foe." Read an account from David, water & sanitation engineer: http:… 1 day ago
- RT @chantalvandenb: "Psychosocial factors on household level influence user acceptance of #Ecosan Toilets" @WECF_INT wecf.eu/english/articl… 1 day ago
- RT @SOILHaiti: Our sanitation coordinator Jimmy loves teaching kids about #compost and #EcologicalSanitation (#EcoSan) http://t.co/NWYjGopk… 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch