A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- 15 diseases India can stamp out by improving sanitation Wed, 01Oct2014The majorities of diarrhoeal deaths are caused by poor sanitation and hygiene, and unsafe water and affect the school-age children impacting their ...
- (category I): Assessor in Water Resources or Civil Engineering KE2 Wed, 01Oct2014Sectors:Procurement, Civil Engineering, Water & Sanitation, Other, Grants ... Niger Delta Support Programme – Component 3 – Water & Sanitation".
- USA to strengthen Ghanaian health care system Wed, 01Oct2014These tablets will purify over 15 million litres of water. ... of Ghana and their objectives in the area of health, nutrition, water, and sanitation. Additional ...
- I will help you clean up India, Obama tells Modi Wed, 01Oct2014It will work as a 'partner' in the Clean India campaign alongside the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Alliance ...
- Empower LWSC to Serve Wed, 01Oct2014CASSELL SAID as a member of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) consortium both locally and internationally, it is the prerogative of the ...
- Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Specialist (219274-927) Wed, 01Oct2014Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Specialist (219274-927). Wednesday, 1st October 2014 - 14:31. Mercy Corps | United States | Apply by: ...
- Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Specialist (219274-927) Wed, 01Oct2014Job Description. PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: Mercy Corps is a leading international humanitarian agency that responds to the ...
- Water, Sanitation And Hygiene (WASH) Adviser - Plan UK Wed, 01Oct2014Job Description. Plan UK's new Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) adviser will be located in the Quality Assurance, Impact & Learning (QAIL) unit ...
- Social audit damns Cape Town City's sanitation delivery Wed, 01Oct2014Earlier this year, the South African Human Rights Commission said the lack of access to clean water and adequate sanitation is potentially a “national ...
- Unilever Commitmented To Helping 25m People Wed, 01Oct2014“It is a global tragedy that a child dies of diseases related to poor sanitation ... It said Unilever believed that universal access to Water, Sanitation and ...
- Scots firms urged to help the world's poor have clean water Wed, 01Oct2014It is hoped they can help to supply clean water and sanitation in some of the world's poorest countries. More than 500,000 children die every year from ...
- UNICEF calls for 'safe' water investments Wed, 01Oct2014UNICEF chief of water, sanitation and hygiene programme Sanjay Wijesekera says trade investments must be harnessed in a manner that does not ...
- Water & Sanitation Wed, 01Oct2014Feed Url: http://capacity4dev.ec.europa.eu/emlabproject-ebola/feed/c4d-water-sanitation/rss. Total views: 39 views. C4D-Water & Sanitation. Topic(s):.
- Government apologises to residents for recent water disruptions Wed, 01Oct2014The State, through the Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS), has ... residents who were affected by the recent water shortage problem in and ...
- Water Environment Research Foundation Honors Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District ... Wed, 01Oct2014On Tuesday September 30, The Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF) honored Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District ...
- Proper sanitation Wed, 01Oct2014Water-sealed bowls were distributed then for free, but somehow, upon ... In response to the problem, the World Bank World Sanitation Program for the ...
- Ball State team eyes tainted Mount Everest water Wed, 01Oct2014Nicholson says the region of Nepal near the world's tallest mountain peak lacks modern sanitation and water lines. Local residents collect their ...
- duarte anc water sanitation malema eff Wed, 01Oct2014Johannesburg – The water shortages in Gauteng showed how officials needed to improve their performance, said ANC deputy secretary-general ...
- Water Sanitation in Jerada City: Power Line Wed, 01Oct2014Water Sanitation in Jerada City: Power Line. Funded by Agence Française de Développement - AFD. Location Morocco. Status. Medium Opportunity ...
- Conundrum Hot Springs tests low for E. coli levels but concerns remain Wed, 01Oct2014Users run the risk of possible high levels, according to Christie Duckett, lab supervisor at the Snowmass Water and Sanitation District. But for ...
- Clean Potable Water a Human Right, Even in Detroit |@Warren J. Blumenfeld ow.ly/C8Hw5 29 minutes ago
- My best RTs this week came from: @dijoh2o @KFleurAnderson @wateringwoman @tysavestheworld @edbourque #thankSAll via sumall.com/thankyou 37 minutes ago
- South Africa Faces Water Crisis | WaterSan Perspective ow.ly/C8BFL 3 hours ago
- Liquid gold in Brattleboro Vermont !! Are you urine to know what it is :-) Get fertilized - learn about it ow.ly/C9iRN #ecosan 4 hours ago
- World Bank - US$ 150 m loan for Brazil’s Acre state: Water & #Sanitation for Isolated Communities in amazon ow.ly/C8HFL 12 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch