A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- Technical Advisor, Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) Sat, 01Nov2014Technical Advisor, Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH). Saturday, 1st November 2014 - 07:20. PSI | United States | Apply by: 01 December 2014.
- DILG sets advocacy trainings on water sanitation governance in Region 9 Sat, 01Nov2014The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) is set to conduct series of advocacy training on Human Rights-Based Local Water Sanitation ...
- Coalition's 'get tough' threat on non-payment of water bills Sat, 01Nov2014Coming under mounting pressure over the water charges, Coalition ... and reduce pressure to only allow for basic sanitation and drinking water.
- Noonan dismisses water levy protests Sat, 01Nov2014His remarks come as anti-Irish Water sentiment reaches new heights with ... “Potentially impacting on the right to access water and sanitation, a new ...
- Charity scrambles as Liberia health care system collapses under Ebola Fri, 31Oct2014"Before the outbreak, only 51 doctors were available in Liberia for a population of 4.2 million. Water, sanitation and hygiene facilities were inadequate, ...
- Irvine water reserve in better shape than most, official tells council Fri, 31Oct2014The imported water, he noted, is supplied at about three times the cost of ... was developed in partnership with the Orange County Sanitation District.
- Waves force closure of bike path, restrictions on Lake Shore Drive Fri, 31Oct2014The departments of Streets & Sanitation and Water Management are “working to remove water off of the Drive,” she said. Streets & San tow trucks and ...
- Morrisville LED maker says it wants to be the Cree of water sterilization Fri, 31Oct2014Instead of using LEDs for innovations in the commercial lighting space, HexaTech is exploring their use in sanitation – specifically, water purification.
- Crashing Waves Flood Lake Shore Drive Fri, 31Oct2014“The City's Departments of Streets and Sanitation and Water Management are currently working to remove water off of the Drive,” the Office of ...
- Engineer Water & Sanitation Fri, 31Oct2014Job title : Engineer Water & Sanitation Recruiter : City : TBD Country : Germany Job location : Germany Type of contract : Full-time staff position
- Waves Close Portions of Lake Shore Drive, Bike Path Fri, 31Oct2014Crews from the departments of Streets and Sanitation and Water Management are working to clear storm drains and catch basins on the Drive, ...
- WASHplus Weekly: Focus on WASH & Ebola Fri, 31Oct2014Ebola Virus Disease (EVD): Key Questions and Answers Concerning Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, 2014. WHO. Link The key to controlling the ...
- Innovating city planning as urban populations soar Fri, 31Oct2014Worldwide, the expansion of cities is already putting a strain on housing, basic services -- like water and sanitation, education, health facilities, the job ...
- From WHO & UNICEF: 'Q&A on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and Ebola' Fri, 31Oct2014Provision of water and sanitation plays an essential role in protecting human ... Good and consistently applied water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) ...
- Waves force closure of bike path, restrictions on Lake Shore Drive Fri, 31Oct2014The departments of Streets & Sanitation and Water Management are “working to remove water off of the Drive,” she said. And Streets & San tow trucks ...
- 1st November National Sanitation Day-President announces Fri, 31Oct2014He noted that sanitation is a public good and its impact affects everybody ... projects such as drainage, water supply and health care facilities across the country. ... leaders and the media to make the National Sanitation Day possible.
- Benefits of Investing in Water and Sanitation pdf, ebook, download Fri, 31Oct2014CLICK HERE FOR DOWNLOAD. Benefits of Investing in Water and Sanitation by Oecd Publishing. "This report was written by Sophie Tremolet"--P. 5.
- Sanergy Brings Sanitation to the Forefront Fri, 31Oct2014With an estimated 2.5 billion people lacking access to hygienic sanitation, there ... Poor sanitation is the second largest cause of disease in the world. ... of the world's poor people reside with limited access to clean water and latrines.
- Launch of World Toilet Day 2014 website Fri, 31Oct2014It is a day to raise awareness about all people who do not have access to a toilet - despite the human right to water and sanitation. It is a day to do ...
- Water and Sanitation Programme Fri, 31Oct2014With support of Tamil Nadu Water Supply and Drainage Board (TNWD), Kancheepuram, programme in strengthening the work of Water and Sanitation ...
- The blind spot of the blind spot: What to do with infant and child feces? bit.ly/1wNczOY @SOILHaiti @WASHUnited 57 minutes ago
- RT @washplusinfo: Social and psychological impact of limited access to #sanitation: The link between MHM and reproduct… http://t.co/22UTJab… 5 hours ago
- RT @MonaMij: MoSan as an example for sanitation in Bangladesh. Junaid Ahmad explains how to end open defecation #WASH #ecosan http://t.co/Q… 5 hours ago
- RT @LancetGH: Stopping the next #Ebola before it starts: the importance of water and sanitation ow.ly/DCpRm 5 hours ago
- RT @CARE: Ever think soap could save a life? One of the most critical ways to prevent #Ebola infection is proper hygiene: http://t.co/hfdQ4… 16 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch