A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- Summit On MDGs: 'Nigeria Must Learn From MDG Setbacks' Wed, 20Aug2014“Unfortunately, the overall progress towards the MDG targets for water and sanitation has masked significant and growing disparities in access ...
- Water and Sanitation Management Organisation Recruits Water Quality Supervisor In Water and ... Wed, 20Aug2014Water and Sanitation Management Organisation Announces the vacancy of Position:- Water Quality Supervisor In Water and Sanitation Management ...
- Niger Delta Support Programme (NDSP) Component 3 - Water & Sanitation Tue, 19Aug2014GRANT FOR CSOs: Niger Delta Support Programme (NDSP) Component 3 - Water & Sanitation. Funded by EuropeAid Co-operation Office - ...
- Water = A Key to Education for All Tue, 19Aug2014As UNICEF notes, "Safe water and adequate sanitation are as important to quality education as pencils, books and teachers. Safe water and adequate ...
- Water And Sanitation Health (WASH) A Seattle Non-Profit Commends Dole For Assistance In ... Tue, 19Aug2014SEATTLE, Aug. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The connection between a Seattle environmental non-profit and the world's largest banana producer, Dole ...
- Ecological Sanitation (EcoSan) handover in Lilongwe Tue, 19Aug2014The urine diverting toilets are designed to keep feces and urine (and also possibly water used for anal cleansing) separate, to permit their separate ...
- nafasi mpya za kazi mtwara urban water and sanitation, mwisho septemba 15, 2014 Tue, 19Aug2014MTWARA URBAN WATER AND SANITATION AUTHORITY (MTUWASA) EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY The Mtwara Water and Sanitation Authority ...
- Water and Sanitation Tue, 19Aug2014Tender Detail, : Tenders are invited for Construction Of Water Treatment Plants With All Allied Works, Including Post Completion O & M For Two Years ...
- EDF — Drawing up sanitation master plans Tue, 19Aug2014Drawing up sanitation master plans (PDAs) for Togo's 5 regional main towns: Tsévié (65 000 inhabitants), Atakpamé (80 000 inhabitants), Sokodé ...
- Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission Tue, 19Aug2014Crews are mopping up a about 5,000 gallons of diesel fuel that spilled into the Ohio River during a routine transfer at Duke Energy's Beckjord Station ...
- Audit of USAID/Iraq's Water and Sanitation Rehabilitation Activities Tue, 19Aug2014Audit of USAID/Iraq's Water and Sanitation Rehabilitation Activities. Baghdad · Iraq. Report Type: Audit Report. Organization: USAID. Fiscal Year: 2005.
- Citi FM's Umaru Sanda Amadu wins 2014 WASH Media Award Tue, 19Aug2014Citi FM's Umaru Sanda Amadu has been adjudged winner of the 2014 Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Services (WASH) Media Awards organized by ...
- WASH Programme Manager - Water For People Tue, 19Aug2014Water For People is currently operating in 10 countries. In Uganda, Water For People works In 10 districts where it supports water supply, sanitation ...
- Volta Regional Minister Tue, 19Aug2014Communities must play key roles by maintaining safe water and sanitation, organising community outreach and awareness campaigns on personal ...
- Factors influencing knowledge and practice of hygiene in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Tue, 19Aug2014Citation: Akter T, Ali AMehrab. Factors influencing knowledge and practice of hygiene in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme areas of ...
- WaterAid hiring Deputy Head of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Policy Tue, 19Aug2014WaterAid's Policy & Campaigns Department works, together with country programme staff, to effect policy change at national and international level in ...
- Environmental Sanitation Programme: Zamfara Govt Employs 29000 Tue, 19Aug2014“The sanitation is carried out twice in a week, where each of the youths ... “In the areas of water supply, the semi-urban water projects executed in ...
- Urban India Water and Sanitation for Health Alliance (Urban WASH Alliance) Tue, 19Aug2014A majority of the slum residents lacks sufficient access to safe water and sanitation services, and a third does not have sanitation facilities, compared to ...
- Two approaches to Operation and Maintenance of rural water facilities - a comparative analysis ... Tue, 19Aug2014It provides information and lessons that will enable Sub-county Water Supply and Sanitation Boards (SWSSBs) in Lira and Kabarole to revisit on their ...
- Water And Sanitation Health (WASH) A Seattle Non-Profit Commends Dole For Assistance In ... Tue, 19Aug2014Water and Sanitation Health (known as WASH), Seattle, was founded on the belief that people everywhere have a right to clean water. WASH has a ...
- @tdh_ch #EcoSan #toilet implementation in a Indian village : on Vimeo ow.ly/AvUbl wp.me/pCkIF-wK 31 minutes ago
- @tdh_ch #EcoSan #toilet implementation in a Indian village : on Vimeo ow.ly/AvUbl 31 minutes ago
- Proper Planning; the Remedy to #Sanitation Woes? | GhanaWeb ow.ly/AvTKg #WASH #WATSAN 40 minutes ago
- ebook - free #Faecal #Sludge Management - Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation ow.ly/AtbbK #WATSAN 15 hours ago
- Great Resource: WASHplus Weekly: Focus on Disease Outbreaks ow.ly/AtbZq @washplusinfo #globalhealth #Cholera #Ebola 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch