A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- State readies for sanitation drive from September 25 Sun, 21Sep2014A government officer said Odisha State Water and Sanitation Mission on Friday wrote separate letters to all district collectors and officers concerned to ...
- Supply and Delivery of Office Furniture for the Department of Water and Sanitation Head Office Over Sun, 21Sep2014Supply and delivery of office furniture for the department of water and sanitation head office over a period of thirty six (36) months.
- Climate change may raise disease burden in South Asian cities: report Sat, 20Sep2014Secondly, in 2004, water, sanitation and hygiene-related diseases caused the death of 1,077,000 people and loss of 40,692,000 DALYs, accounting ...
- Ecological sanitation udd toilet Sat, 20Sep2014Problems with Present Sanitation System Based on using water for collection, conveyance, treatment and disposal of human excretions Water Closet ...
- district water & sanitation mission Sat, 20Sep2014DISTRICT WATER & SANITATION MISSION. 1st floor, RWS&S Division Office, Sundargarh - 770001. Telephone: 06622- 275145, 272369 e-mail: ...
- Clean Water Sat, 20Sep2014Give the gift of clean water. Safe drinking water and sanitation can cut child death rates by more than half. Donate a well, give water purification tablets ...
- Consulting Opportunities Sat, 20Sep2014Consulting Opportunities - JORDANIAN WATER INDUSTRY ... To promote improved access to water and sanitation services, we leverage our country ...
- New Pictures And Videos of Mountain Side Lake / Bill's Ranch Lake That Was Given To United ... Sat, 20Sep2014The Mountain Side Home Owners Association gave the Bill's Ranch Lake to United Water and Sanitation District which is presided over by HOA board ...
- Jan Eliasson, Thematic Debate on Water, Sanitation... Sat, 20Sep2014Remarks by Jan Eliasson, Deputy Secretary-General, at the Thematic Debate on Water, Sanitation and Sustainable Energy in the Post-2015 ...
- Will Governments Keep Their Promises on the Human Right to Water? Sat, 20Sep2014Dilip Surkar is co-chair of End Water Poverty, a global coalition of more than 275 NGOs and CSOs campaigning on water and sanitation, and director ...
- Gramalaya's National Commitment to Making India Open Defecation Sat, 20Sep2014It is currently associated with the National Institute of Water and Sanitation which is an approved Key Resource Centre of the Ministry of Drinking Water ...
- Water And Sanitation Agency (FDA) Faisalabad Jobs NTS Test Result 2014 Sat, 20Sep2014Water And Sanitation Agency (FDA) Faisalabad Jobs NTS Test Result 2014 has been announced by the officials, Click to get Answer Key and List of ...
- Posted by Parvez Jabri Sat, 20Sep2014Besides health and sanitation campaign, the Minister informed that removal of illegal encroachments and occupation of land will also be carried out in ...
- Information Minister announces health, sanitation drive from Sept 22 Sat, 20Sep2014About interruption in supply of drinking water, the Minister informed that the management of WASA has been directed to ensure uninterrupted supply ...
- Communities Sat, 20Sep2014Type de l'avis: Avis d'appel d'offres . Pays: États-Unis. Date limite: Sept 30, 2014. Agence de financement: Banque Mondiale.
- Africa: 'Africa Must Prioritise Water, Sanitation Issues' Sat, 20Sep2014[The Herald]Africa is the most vulnerable continent to climate change and there is need for Government to put water and sanitation on top of their ...
- Ventura Regional Sanitation District Sat, 20Sep2014Join LinkedIn today for free. See who you know at Ventura Regional Sanitation District, leverage your professional network, and get hired.
- Understanding social networks to increase capacity and access to knowledge Sat, 20Sep2014AMCOW A snapshot of drinking water and sanitation in Africa- 2010 update. From JMP, Progress on sanitation and drinking-water, 2013 update ...
- US govt hands MCC plan to State Sat, 20Sep2014THE US government has handed to government the investment master plans for the implementation of the US$355 million water supply, sanitation ...
- ZITF hosts WASHen conference Sat, 20Sep2014The Zimbabwe International Trade Fair (ZITF) Company is set to hold its inaugural water, sanitation, hygiene and energy conference, WASHen 2014 ...
- What we learnt about #Sanitation for emerging markets from World Bank Experts ow.ly/BDjPr #watsan #wash 1 day ago
- pub: Making community-led total #sanitation fully inclusive; and Violence, gender and WASH: toolkit. WaterAid ow.ly/BDjyK 1 day ago
- Ebola challenge exposes sanitation gaps in schools | BusinessDay ow.ly/BDjdA 1 day ago
- RT @AnnieFeighery: Technology-driven mobile surveys for innovating M&E wateraid.org/news/news/larg… @WaterAid partners with @mWaterCo in Banglade… 1 day ago
- RT @johnwsauer: If we (as an org) can't do city-wide, district-wide #WASH services we need to partner with others who will get to the the e… 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch