A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
The IRC 2010 Symposium: Pumps, Pipes and Promises: Costs, Finances & Accountability for Sustainable WASH Services
The symposium will bring together some 120 of the sectors’ foremost international experts and practitioners to address issues around costing, financing and accountability of WASH service delivery.
When 16 – 18 November
Where The Hague, The Netherlands
- Karnataka: CDLG for water and sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014Drawing experience from research with Grama Panchayats in Kolar and Chikkabalapur districts, Centre for Decentralised Local Governance (CDLG), ...
- Mothers and children can't wait another year for clean water Tue, 29Jul2014In the next two months, Congress has the opportunity to improve the way it spends U.S. foreign aid on clean water, sanitation and hygiene programs ...
- Child migration sheds light on poverty, desperation many Hondurans face daily Tue, 29Jul2014With access to clean water, safe sanitation and hygiene education, the health of coffee farmers and their families is greatly increased. Access to safe ...
- Water And Sanitation Systems Jobs In Delhi Tue, 29Jul2014water and sanitation systems Jobs in Delhi. Search & apply to best available vacancies in Delhi, from Top Indian & International Companies ...
- Water And Sanitation Jobs In Delhi Tue, 29Jul2014water and sanitation Jobs in Delhi. Search & apply to best available vacancies in Delhi, from Top Indian & International Companies on ...
- SA may need to turn to private sector to solve its water crisis Tue, 29Jul2014South Africa's water and sanitation infrastructure is crumbling because of a chronic lack of investment. The department of water affairs says it needs ...
- 'Cameras Not the Priority in Govt Schools' Tue, 29Jul2014It should be provision of clean drinking water, sanitation and repairs,” said Commissioner for Public Instruction Mohammad Mohsin. Statistics show ...
- sanitation Tue, 29Jul2014Septic tanks are essentially individual water sanitation systems for households not connected to the city line. Solid waste is separated from liquid ...
- MODS Tue, 29Jul2014... Circuit U.S. Courts author aut Alameda Water and Sanitation District Alameda Water and Sanitation District Appellee American Rivers, Inc. American ...
- The Girl-Child and Challenge of Toilet Facilities in Public Schools Mon, 28Jul2014I always need water to clean myself whenever I use the toilet and that is ... Speaking at a two-day media dialogue on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene ...
- Support the #Water4World Act to bring clean water & sanitation for all. | Veooz 360 Mon, 28Jul2014Report Content. Support the #Water4World Act to bring clean water & sanitation for all. http://pic.twitter.com/aBlhgYThMM http://bit.ly/1u8N5NM.
- Third Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation (Sector) Project Mon, 28Jul2014Third Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation (Sector) Project - RDSMC-01 Consulting Services for Design, Supervision and Monitoring (Western).
- Third Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation (Sector) Project Mon, 28Jul2014Third Small Towns Water Supply and Sanitation (Sector) Project - DRTAC-03 Consulting Services for Design Review and Technical Audit. Funded by ...
- Ghastly rural sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014In these columns we have talked about central schemes on education, rural roads, water supply, sanitation and the rest of them. People repeatedly ...
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene in Quetta Mon, 28Jul2014This project envisions improved access to and demand for quality water, sanitation and hygiene services in the Quetta valley of Balochistan and to ...
- Water and Sanitation projects Mon, 28Jul2014Health and Sanitation Programs · Water and Sanitation projects · SNEHA – HIV/AIDS project · Water, Bio-manure ... Water and Sanitation projects ...
- Water and Sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014Posts about Water and Sanitation written by unicefburkinafaso.
- Sanitation is The Solution to Malnutrition in India Mon, 28Jul2014Historically it has been demonstrated across many countries that public health measures like clean drinking water, sanitation, sewerage, control of ...
- World Bank, others okay $638m for water, #sanitation for Nigeria | The Nation ow.ly/zGquc 5 hours ago
- RT @ReachScale: Women & girls are dying for lack of toilets; businesses can help via @guardian #Sanitation #gender - klou.tt/14gd1689my0xd 18 hours ago
- RT @dietvorst: High-tech #toilets get all the attention but low-tech solutions more practical in poor countries #sanitation - http://t.co/y… 18 hours ago
- RT @washplusinfo: Compendium of #Sanitation Systems and Technologies, 2nd Edition. IWA; EAWAG, wp.me/paGBZ-2H2 via @dietvorst 18 hours ago
- Identification of #water quality degradation hotspots in developing countries by applying large scale qlty model ow.ly/zGvi8 18 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch