A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Water & Sanitation (58) - Syria Regional Refugee Response - Sat, 19Apr20141:00 PM - 3:00 PM. WASH WG Meeting. Location: UNHCR Office Beirut Description: Leah Building Chaired By: UNHCR/UNICEF Contact: Francesca ...
- WASHplus Weekly: Focus on Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting Sat, 19Apr2014Issue 142 April 18, 2014 | Focus on Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting This issue features the April 2014 Sanitation and Water for.
- The SWA 2014 Sector Ministers' Meeting... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Sat, 19Apr2014The SWA 2014 Sector Ministers' Meeting kicked off. Many experiences shared and interactions. Follow sanitation and Water for All on twitter ...
- Kick off for the 2014 Sanitation and... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Sat, 19Apr2014Kick off for the 2014 Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting #HLM2014. The list of High Level speakers has never been so long to talk about...
- DailyNews Online Edition - Saving lives through proper sanitation and hygiene Sat, 19Apr2014Sanitation and proper hygiene are crucial to diarrhoea prevention. ... Poor sanitation, water and hygiene have many other serious repercussions.
- Lusaka seals water supply deal Sat, 19Apr2014“This signing is important because the Lusaka Water Supply, Sanitation and Drainage Project (LWSSDP) is only covering selected communities as ...
- Rain spells havoc for monsoon Fri, 18Apr2014The upcoming monsoon will be a great challenge for Water and Sanitation Agency (Wasa) and City District Government Lahore (CDGL) as heavy rain ...
- CM nods regularisation of LDA contractual employees Fri, 18Apr2014He said that the Lahore Water and Sanitation Company would take over the system of supply and drainage in Lahore within three years under a ...
- Berkeley County cracking down on litter, dumping Fri, 18Apr2014They also are trying to raise public awareness, according to Johanna R. Cooper, community relations manager for Berkeley County Water & Sanitation ...
- Extra funding for “breathable membrane” linings for pit latrines | Sanitation Updates - WordPress.com Fri, 18Apr2014WASHplus Weekly: Focus on Sanitation and Water for All High Level ... biodegradation of the feces or from the sun gradually expels water vapour, but ...
- Water and Sanitation Program (WSP), World Bank, Handwashing with Soap Toolkit | WSSCC Fri, 18Apr2014Summary. View guide. The behavior change module introduces the theory of change and key components of the approach WSP used in the project.
- water & sanitation projects | Dar Al Bina For Trading & Contracting Company Fri, 18Apr2014Al Hilal Al Ahmar
- Common Water and Sanitation-Related Diseases Fri, 18Apr2014Description:Four billion cases of diarrheal diseases occur each year around the world. Washing hands with soap and clean water can eliminate ...
- Emergency measures launched to contain water crisis in Tripura Fri, 18Apr2014State's drinking water and sanitation (DWS) department has involved some 110 water tankers for safe water distribution especially in tribal localities.
- Job (Accra): Project Manager (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) WASH - GHANA - idealist.org Fri, 18Apr2014SNV is looking for aProject Manager, WASH Based in Accra, Ghana International Contract, 18 months initial term SNV is a not-for-profit international.
- Clean Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) | World Vision International - Child Health Now Fri, 18Apr2014Each day, more than 6,000 children under age 5 die from diseases spread by unsafe water or lack of basic sanitation and hygiene. More than half of ...
- UNICEF Is Inviting India to a Poo Party Fri, 18Apr2014A Water and Sanitation Program (WSP) study from 2010 found that in India the lack of adequate sanitation cost the nation $53.8 billion annualy.
- WASHplus Weekly: Focus on Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting | Sanitation Updates Fri, 18Apr2014This issue features the April 2014 Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting (HLM). Major commitments at the HLM included over 260 concrete ...WASHplus
- Third Small Towns Water Supply & Sanitation Sector Project, Pre-Feasibility Report Fri, 18Apr2014SANITATION SECTOR PROJECT. PRE- FEASIBILITY REPORT. (To be prepared by the team of PMO). 1. General: a) Name of the small town …
- National Environmental Sanitation Conference ends in Kumasi CENTRE FOR ENERGY ... - CEESD Fri, 18Apr2014The maiden National Environmental Sanitation Conference (NESCON ... Year of Sanitation (IYS 2008), and also to the Sanitation and Water for All, ...
- RT @techreview: You May Have Missed: Nuclear Powers on Elsewhere techre.vu/1jTrv7X 48 minutes ago
- RT @iDEorg: 3 Myths that Block Progress for the Poor, ow.ly/vVLaD 52 minutes ago
- Using bathroom humor to try to improve India's rural #sanitation on @PBSNewsHour ow.ly/vWQJA #watsan #globalhealth 54 minutes ago
- RT @dietvorst: E-Source Sanitation News is out! paper.li/dietvorst/1307… Stories via @ABetterToilet @rossb82 1 hour ago
- Paper How to close the gap on MDGs 4 & 5 in Africa: maternal and child mortality @WorldBank pdf ow.ly/vWPbm #globalheath 1 hour ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch