A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- 113m Nigerians Defecate In The Open – UNICEF Fri, 25Jul2014A Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) specialist with the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), Mr Saaondo Anom, has stated that over 113 ...
- ONE DROP and Rotary launch water and sanitation partnership Thu, 24Jul2014Canada-based non-profit ONE DROP and international service organisation Rotary have developed the 2020 Water Partnership, a sustainable ...
- Hi-tech lab debuts with safe water pledge Thu, 24Jul2014Drinking water and sanitation minister Jai Prakash Bhai Patel threw open the hi-tech facility at PHED Colony in Hinoo in the heart of Ranchi. Sprawling ...
- Better sanitation may help fight malnutrition Thu, 24Jul2014Perhaps it is time to now focus attention on clean water and sanitation so that children don't suffer from malnutrition even when they are surrounded by ...
- AfDB spends $530m on water, sanitation projects – Director Thu, 24Jul2014Dr Ousmane Dore, African Development Bank (AfDB) Country Director in Nigeria, has said the bank committed about 530 million dollars (N86.9 ...
- A lack of water and sanitation in displaced communities leads to a rise in communicable diseases Thu, 24Jul2014Polluted water supplies, hot weather and serious water shortages are bringing the threat of disease to vulnerable communities in Syria.-- Delivered by ...
- AfDB spends $530m on water, sanitation projects – Director Thu, 24Jul2014AfDB spends $530m on water, sanitation projects – Director. Dr Ousmane Dore, African Development Bank (AfDB) Country Director in Nigeria, has ...
- Water and Sanitation Issues for Persons with Disabilities in Low and Middle Income Countries Thu, 24Jul2014Bailey, N; Groce, NE; (2010) Water and Sanitation Issues for Persons with Disabilities in Low and Middle Income Countries: A literature review and ...
- Water and Sanitation Thu, 24Jul2014Search Results For Water and Sanitation. Bid Closing Date Jul 25, 2014 (Friday) To Jan 25, 2015 (Sunday). Prev
- AfDB spends $530m on water, sanitation projects - Director Thu, 24Jul2014“For this year, in the water sector, the bank approved 205 million dollars for water and sanitation projects and the main project is the Port Harcourt ...
- The great Indian toilet tracker for rural sanitation Thu, 24Jul2014Well into our 67th year of independence, the sanitation situation hasn't ... The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Government of India, under ...
- At least 50 percent of all of Gaza's water and sanitation infrastructure is no longer functioning. Thu, 24Jul2014At least 50 percent of all of Gaza's water and sanitation infrastructure is no longer functioning. UNICEF officer Pernille Ironside says there are "no safe ...
- Why toilets are essential for growing healthy children Thu, 24Jul2014This reflects two things: the fact that water and sanitation are strongly linked to stunting reduction, and that both water and sanitation coverage have ...
- Water and toilets key for people living with HIV and AIDS Thu, 24Jul2014The study is entitled Accessing the water, sanitation and hygiene needs of people living with HIV and AIDS in Papua New Guinea. (PDF, 1MB)
- United Nation's Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation Thu, 24Jul2014reposted from the Council of Canadians, July 23, 2014. Unable to cook, bathe, or brush their teeth, thousands of people in Detroit, Michigan are now ...
- Queen Mothers Tasked To Improve Sanitation Through Indigenous Development Approach Thu, 24Jul2014He also added that in view of the ongoing challenges to the provision of clean safe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) nationally (especially ...
- two bedroom townhouse,water sewage, sanitation included Thu, 24Jul2014All electric, rent includes water, sewage, and sanitation. Central air, washer and dryer hook up, lawn service, nice basement. NO PETS!!!! PLEASE ...
- Profile: Linking sanitation and wastewater treatment Thu, 24Jul2014Profile: Linking sanitation and wastewater treatment: From evaluation on the basis of effluent pollutant concentrations to evaluation on the basis of ...
- Profile: Ancient water and sanitation systems - applicability for the contemporary urban developing ... Thu, 24Jul2014The main objective of this paper was to discuss and evaluate the applicability of selected ancient water and sanitation systems for the contemporary ...
- Bataan PHO holds forum on nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene & health Thu, 24Jul2014BALANGA CITY, Bataan – In observance of the Nutrition month, the Bataan Provincial Health Office (PHO), headed by Dr. Rosanna Buccahan who is ...
- Rose George to speak at IF Water Confere wp.me/pCkIF-wt 2 minutes ago
- Rose George to speak at IF Water Conference #IFWater14 @rosegeorge3 @WaterStep @fcousteau ow.ly/zyZuU #WATSAN #WASH 2 minutes ago
- #Syria A lack of #water and #sanitation wp.me/pCkIF-ws 25 minutes ago
- #Syria A lack of #water and #sanitation in displaced communities leads to a rise in #communicablediseases - IFRC ow.ly/zyYcg 25 minutes ago
- Strategies for building resilience to hazards in #water #sanitation & #hygiene systems: public private partnerships ow.ly/ztAu8 5 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch