A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Understanding the cost of water and sanitation services Fri, 29Aug2014Hello all, this is a well know WASH cost tool by IRC, you must have heard about it. If not see the tool here http://www.ircwash.org/washcost Have any ...
- Floods, disease and death in Bentiu Fri, 29Aug2014According to the World Health Organization water supply, sanitation and hygiene, given their direct impact on infectious disease, especially diarrhoea, ...
- Environment Minister: Romania Needs 10 More Years of Water, Sanitation Investment to Meet EU ... Fri, 29Aug2014Romania needs to make major investments in freshwater supply and sewage systems for at least 10 more years in order to reach European Union ...
- Advisor to support the Water and Sanitation Reform, Kampala, Uganda Fri, 29Aug2014The Reform of the Urban Water and Sanitation Sector Programme (RUWASS) aims at strengthening the institutional, regulatory and management ...
- Water and Sanitation Specialists Fri, 29Aug2014Apply for Water and Sanitation Specialists Job in Médecins Sans Frontières in Delhi. Find related Water and Sanitation Specialists jobs in Delhi.
- Water Supply, Drainage and Sanitation Pack Fri, 29Aug2014Download book Water Supply, Drainage and Sanitation Pack pdf. You can download Water Supply, Drainage and Sanitation Pack pdf book from here.
- Sanitation Matters - Issue 6 Fri, 29Aug2014Snapshot: Latest from SRFA Project WIN-SA is a network of organisations focusing on improving knowledge sharing in the water and sanitation sector, ...
- MoU signed between UNICEF and IDBI bank to provide clean water, sanitation to school children Fri, 29Aug2014MoU signed between UNICEF and IDBI bank to provide clean water, sanitation to school children UNICEF and IDBI Bank have jointly signed a ...
- (m/f) Water Supply and Sanitation - Organizational Development Fri, 29Aug2014Team Leader (m/f) Water Supply and Sanitation - Organizational Development; Anbieter: AHT GROUP AG (AHT). AHT GROUP AG is an independent ...
- MoU signed between UNICEF and IDBI bank to provide clean water, sanitation to school children Fri, 29Aug2014The program will provide improved access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) for school-going children, under the "Model WASH ...
- Lack of sanitation having Fri, 29Aug2014He said sanitation was cross-cutting, adding that building more toilets ... and dysentery, which was caused due to bad water and a lack of sanitation.
- 4h Fri, 29Aug2014@NRDC @citiesnetworkCa Panicked #Democrats cut ties with #climate alarmist as Obama puts them in fear of November senate loss. #climate.
- Emergency Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Afghanistan - World Vision 2014 Fri, 29Aug2014With DFATD's support, World Vision Canada is helping to address the emergency water, sanitation and hygiene needs of up to 24,787 Afghans ...
- WASH (Water Sanitation Hygiene) Sector Coordination Support Officer Fri, 29Aug2014Support the promotion and advocacy towards institutionalizing the phased approach to total sanitation at various LGU levels and mainstreaming water ...
- Lack of sanitation having 'staggering' effect on lives of 2.5 billion people: UN Fri, 29Aug2014He said sanitation was cross-cutting, adding that building more toilets ... and dysentery, which was caused due to bad water and a lack of sanitation.
- Clean India'' make sanitation a... - Water - EnvironmentGuru.com | Facebook Fri, 29Aug2014For ''Clean India'' make sanitation a top priority with civil servants: India's new Prime Minister Narendra Modi has deviated from convention and made.
- K47.74M SANITATION FUNDS MISSING Fri, 29Aug2014THE Auditor General's report on the Ministry of Local Government and Housing has revealed that out of a provision of K196 million for water sanitation ...
- Good read: USAID Needs to Bring Together #Water & #Sanitation with Fresh Water Conservation ... Fri, 29Aug2014I am the author of an issue brief published by the Natural Resources Defense Council today, Connecting Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene with Fresh ...
- Damon dumps toilet water over head for ALS Fri, 29Aug2014By using toilet water, Damon hopes to draw attention to the lack of safe water and sanitation in the developing world. "For those of you like my wife ...
- wH2O: The Journal of Gender & Water Fri, 29Aug2014Providing water access and sanitation means that women can stay in school longer and are healthier and lose fewer days from sickness in the family.
- Waterborne diseases are rampant in E. African country riven by corruption, but local approaches may help| Al Jazeera ow.ly/AQqBq 1 hour ago
- South Africa: Mayors, councillors 'must lead war on #water leaks' ow.ly/AQodH #watersecurity #wash 4 hours ago
- Choosing the right post-2015 sanitation indicators by Brian Arbogast of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation ow.ly/AQuYA #watsan 6 hours ago
- RT @alisonhparker: Ironically I'm tweeting an @guardian video which explains how we value tweets more than toilets theguardian.com/global-develop… #… 6 hours ago
- RT @HilaryLew: Composting Toilets in #Haiti: Redefining Waste as a Resource - @SOILHaiti youtu.be/sF3RVDk8qDA #ecosan #sanitation 6 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch