A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- DA probe shows water 'dangerously' polluted Tue, 02Sep2014Poor water quality and sanitation are among the causes of service protests. ... Department of Water Affairs and Sanitation communications director ...
- Add comment Tue, 02Sep2014As I blogged a few weeks ago, the proposed WASH Post 2015 goals and targets for sanitation call for universal access to improved sanitation by the ...
- The key to drilling wells with staying power in the developing world Tue, 02Sep2014In communities where World Vision operates, local water, sanitation and hygiene committees are established to manage every new water point.
- Rotary New Zealand responding to water and sanitation issues in Fiji Tue, 02Sep2014Clean water and sanitation are vital to health. In Fiji Rotary New Zealand have been targeting 22 communities that are experiencing severe hardship ...
- 5h Mon, 01Sep2014Lack of #water and #sanitation costs countries an estimated 7% of annual GDP, says @EngstrmHillevi at the opening of the #WWWeeek.
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #S Mon, 01Sep2014INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #Sanitation Summit-2014 'Sanitation for ... "Implications of 'Rural Suburbia' on Water and Sanitation Provision in ...
- Home burials threatens quality of underground water – CWSA Mon, 01Sep2014The Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA) in the Upper West Region says, emerging trends such as burials in homes and unmarked ...
- Warka Water Towers Mon, 01Sep2014This lack of access to clean water and exposure to poor sanitation means waterborne disease is rife. Water Aid has found that as many as 33,000 ...
- Johnstone Mainya's Fundraising Page Mon, 01Sep2014Did you know that over 3.4 million people will have died by the end of this year from water, sanitation and hygiene-related illnesses? Did you know ...
- Minimum Standards in Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion for sphere handbook Mon, 01Sep2014attained in humanitarian response regarding the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion. Key actions: These are suggested activities and ...
- The Poor pay more for their water – Uganda Mon, 01Sep2014The meeting which doubled as a workshop was held for groups specifically involved in gender and water sanitation advocacy in Uganda. On arrival ...
- #WWWeek day 1: new technology could provide cheap clean water for millions Mon, 01Sep2014As World Water Week gets going Stockholm, here's the first of our daily ... South Africa's minister of water and sanitation, Nomvula Mokonyane, argued ...
- Sanitation, Water, Hygiene and Management Processes (India) Mon, 01Sep2014Community Monitoring - Sanitation, Water, Hygiene and Management Processes (India). This project helped people improve and maintain their ...
- Action needed to address SA's water crisis - Wilmot James Mon, 01Sep2014We therefore call for the establishment of an inter-ministerial task team consisting of the ministries for Water and Sanitation, Health, Cooperative ...
- Brazil still wasting too much water - report Mon, 01Sep2014Waterworks in most of Brazil's largest cities have not significantly reduced water loss rates in recent years, says water and sanitation NGO Instituto ...
- There Is A Global Crisis In Sanitation And Water 2 6 Billion People Mon, 01Sep2014There Is A Global Crisis In Sanitation And Water 2 6 Billion People.
- Why Water? Mon, 01Sep2014We believe access to water, sanitation and hygiene underpins all other development issues and is therefore a crucial step in breaking the poverty ...
- Colombia expands Antioquia water, sanitation coverage Mon, 01Sep2014Colombia will invest 14.6bn pesos (US$8mn) to expand water and sanitation services in northeastern Antioquia department, the housing ministry said ...
- Veooz 360 Mon, 01Sep2014How can partnerships maximise impact to support the goal of everyone everywhere with safe water & sanitation? #wwweek http://pic.twitter.com/ ...
- "Implications of 'Rural Suburbia' on Water and Sanitation Provision in Ethekwini" by Sandile Mbatha Mon, 01Sep2014School of Built Environment and Development Studies Seminar. Title: Implications of 'Rural Suburbia' on Water and Sanitation Provision in Ethekwini ...
- Unclogging the Blockages in Sanitation | @sanupdates @dietvorst ow.ly/AXGwK #wash #watsan 3 hours ago
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #S wp.me/pCkIF-xd 7 hours ago
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #Sanitation Summit-2014 ‘Sanitation for All-Toilet First’ -New Delhi in Dec ow.ly/AXGCM 7 hours ago
- Planning for Improved Urban Environmental Health through Rapid Participatory Assessment of Sanitation Systems ow.ly/AXFuy #WASH 7 hours ago
- for real??? All Delhi slums to have #toi wp.me/pCkIF-xc 7 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch