A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- 1.8m Europeans demand water, sanitation rights | neurope.eu Tue, 10Dec2013Human Rights Day was marked by the European Water Movement handing in 1.8 million signature petition to the European Commission, demanding they ...
- Advocate Decries Lack of Safe Drinking Water Tue, 10Dec2013According to him, it is the primary duty of the Liberian Government to fulfill the human rights of its citizens by providing safe drinking water and proper sanitation.
- Implement the human right to safe drinking water and sanitation fully ... Tue, 10Dec2013This Human Rights Day, the billions of individuals who do not benefit fully from their Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation should receive more ...
- In the World: A long haul to bring clean water to developing nations Tue, 10Dec2013Pure Home Water has reached more than 100,000 poor rural women, children, ... In addition to clean water, Murcott has worked to improve sanitation in Ghana, ...
- Israel, Jordan, Palestinians Strike Water-Sharing Deal Tue, 10Dec2013Alexander McPhail, the lead water and sanitation specialist in the World Bank's Water Practice division, tells The Jerusalem Post Monday that in return, "Israel ...
- Water supply and sanitation in Belgium - YouTube Tue, 10Dec2013This Article Water supply and sanitation in Belgium is composed of Creative Common Content. The Original Article can be location at WikiPedia.org. Check us o.
- Parker Water & Sanitation District 2014 Xeriscape/Landscape Class ... Mon, 09Dec2013Parker Water & Sanitation District 2014 Xeriscape/Landscape Class Schedule. 1/4. Noon – 1:00 PM. The Basics of Xeriscape. Tagawa Gardens. 1/11.
- PHED Minister inaugurates water project in Mokokchung vill Mon, 09Dec2013Minister described the Mokokchung village water supply project, ... National Rural Drinking Water Programme, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation as one ...
- Peru's Chinchero district developing water, sanitation project Mon, 09Dec2013Peru's housing, construction and sanitation ministry (MVCS) has filed a project in ... Central America and the Caribbean, BNamericas includes Water & Waste ...
- Flow Insert: Helps KY Water Reclamation Facility Divert Flow without ... Mon, 09Dec2013Sanitation District No. 1 (SD1) in Northern Kentucky is responsible for the collection and treatment of wastewater and stormwater management for a 220 ...
- Berikh Sub-Zone - Ensuring Environmental Hygiene Described a ... Mon, 09Dec2013Eritrea: Berikh Sub-Zone - Ensuring Environmental Hygiene Described a Prerequisite As Regards Ensuring Water Sanitation. 9 December 2013. Asmara — The ...
- Brazil officially publishes US$219bn national sanitation plan Mon, 09Dec2013Brazil has published its 508bn-real (US$219bn) national sanitation plan, Plansab, ... Besides addressing solid waste and storm water management issues, ...
- Water and Sanitation & Hygiene Coordinator | ReliefWeb Mon, 09Dec2013Water And Sanitation & Hygiene Coordinator (WASH). This is a 2 year post based in Damascus, Syria for Oxfam. As the WASH Coordinator for one of the few ...
- ACDEP hand-over rehabilitated borehole to people of Okyerekrom Mon, 09Dec2013To help improve the standard of sanitation in the community, ACDEP made sanitation ... The Mratihene of Okyerekrom and Chairman of the Water and Sanitation ...
- ACDEP hand-over rehabilitated borehole to people of Okyerekrom Mon, 09Dec2013To help improve the standard of sanitation in the community, ACDEP made sanitation ... He said a Water and Sanitation Committee had been created by the ...
- high water table sanitation and well cleaning - KnowledgePoint Mon, 09Dec2013I would like some advice on sanitation in flooded areas/ areas with high water table and on cleaning out wells and shock ...
- Seeking water and sanitation projects for Environmental Challenge ... Mon, 09Dec2013in prize money to be awarded to winning proposals to help the developing world.
- ADB allocates US$42 to improve water supply in Ferghana region Mon, 09Dec2013The resources will be used for implementation of the Water Supply and Sanitation Services Investment Program - Tranche 4, which will cover Ferghana region.
- Water and Sanitation - Wadhurst-Burundi Link Mon, 09Dec2013Mwumba community plays their part in the clear water project at Gihama. Water tanks With the completion of the water project, outlying areas of Mwumba such ...
- WASH: A spearhead for development in fragile states Mon, 09Dec2013We believe that the provision of water and sanitation aid, while a a critical life saving intervention in its own right, can also serve as an excellent entry point for ...
- Seeking water and sanitation projects for 2014 Environmental Challenge - Reed Elsevier wp.me/pCkIF-uY 5 hours ago
- RT @TechExLab: The Permfunnel slows the flow of #water at the source, reduces contamination and waste. bit.ly/Permafunnel-TEL #watsan 22 hours ago
- RT @washplusinfo: The long-term dynamics of mortality benefits from improved #WASH in less developed countries, PLoS One, Oct 2013, http://… 22 hours ago
- RT @Dani_Barrington: Interesting fact: 20% of people who live in poverty in developing countries have a disability and all need safe access… 22 hours ago
- RT @SOILHaiti: #EcoSan #toilets built by local carpenters. Our first contracted toilets = huge success! http://t.co/Qw3ajJQL5u @gchallenges… 22 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente