A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Nigeria - Zaria Water Supply Expansion and Sanitation Project - Solid ... - African Development Bank Thu, 24Apr2014African Development Bank towards the cost of the Zaria Water Supply Expansion and Sanitation. Project, and intends to apply part of the agreed ...
- Cholera: UNICEF expert urges Synergy between water, health Ministries Thu, 24Apr2014Cholera: UNICEF expert urges Synergy between water, health Ministries ... Mr. Ajibade Olokun, a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Specialist ...
- Parched California moves to boost water saving toilets, faucets | India Sanitation Portal Thu, 24Apr2014San Francisco, April 23, 2014: With California facing its worst drought in a century, state officials have fast-tracked first-in-the-nation water efficiency ...
- Org | Federation Drinking Water Sanitation Users Nepal Fedwasun | Ramro Job Thu, 24Apr2014Federation of Drinking Water and Sanitation Users Nepal (FEDWASUN). The Federation of Drinking Water and Sanitation Users Nepal (FEDWASUN) ...
- SUSTAINABLE WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION (SWSS free ebook download from ... Thu, 24Apr2014
- Brazil Water Learning Series - World Bank Thu, 24Apr2014The World Bank´s Brazil Water Learning Series is a collection of four ... World Bank Speaker: Thadeu Abicalil, Senior Water & Sanitation Specialist; ...
- Re-electing your MP may not help much Thu, 24Apr2014Madurai district boasts of 83.5% literacy and piped drinking water reaches 85.1% of the population. At 59.2%, access to proper sanitation is nearly the ...
- CONSULTANTS & NETWORKS - TU Delft OpenCourseWare Thu, 24Apr2014Consultancy for People, Water and Environment (especially sanitation and ... Water Resources and Environmental Consultancy (especially IWRM).
- The Economist explains: Why sanitation should be sacred - Inagist Wed, 23Apr2014In Myanmar, we helped improve water, sanitation and hygiene for 2,140 ... has helped 57 rural villages improve their water and sanitation systems.
- Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District Discusses Rate-Hike Proposal Wed, 23Apr2014Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District officials introduced a rate-hike ... in water flowing downstream to Ventura County from local treatment plants.
- Rate Hike Could Pay for SCV Chloride Treatment Wed, 23Apr2014[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District officials introduced a ... in water flowing downstream to Ventura County from local treatment plants.
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany Nairobi - Water and Sanitation webapp Wed, 23Apr2014Despite significant reforms and investments in recent years, the infrastructure in the water supply and sanitation sector is still insufficient. According to ...
- Best Practices and Lessons Learned from Sanitation Programming at USAID: An Annotated ... Wed, 23Apr2014This annotated bibliography is a compilation of selected documents produced by USAID water, sanitation, and hygiene programs from 1980s to ...
- Global Water Poverty Facts | Watering Malawi Wed, 23Apr2014For those who live in the United States and other urbanized areas, access to clean water and sanitation are viewed as a basic right, not a luxury.
- In Myanmar, we helped improve water, sanitation and hygiene for 2,140 households ... - Inagist Wed, 23Apr2014Myanmar: Creating easy access to safe water | UNDP. A UNDP project in Myanmar has helped 57 rural villages improve their water and sanitation ...
- Wells run dry in St. Mary's Glacier area; locals filling jugs Wed, 23Apr2014Four water wells, operated by the St. Mary's Glacier Water & Sanitation District, emptied to "dangerously low" levels, and the water supply for residents ...
- Premiere of the sanitation film in Namibia: Cuve Waters Wed, 23Apr2014Outapi has been chosen as the nationwide venue for the World Water Day 2014 in Namibia. On this special occasion the team of CuveWaters together ...
- It Starts With Water! Beautiful People & A Great Cause – The FACE Africa 5th Annual WASH Gala Wed, 23Apr2014On March 22, 2014, UN World Water Day, FACE Africa held its 5th Annual WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Gala in New York City at Chelsea ...
- Tenders Water and Sanitation Public Notices Global India Government Private Projects Products ... Wed, 23Apr2014Infraline Energy is India's premier research, consultancy and solution provider. Subscribe to our online knowledgebase and receive exclusive ...
- Stakes of sanitation in Sri Lanka | DailyFT - Be Empowered Wed, 23Apr2014According to the 2012 statistics of the Sanitation Bureau, only 2.4% of the ... As drinking water coverage is almost 100%, sanitation is now becoming ...bandara
- UNICEF: Desperate #water shortages facing children in Bentiu, #SouthSudan ow.ly/w6fZl 8 hours ago
- From the E4C community: #Biotoilets are tough on waste in India | @engineer4change ow.ly/w67Dz #WATSAN #sanitation 10 hours ago
- Corruption in the Water Sector | West Africa WASH Journalists Network ow.ly/w678h #watersecurity #WATSAN #water4all 10 hours ago
- RT @HaitiWater: Pressure mounts on #UN still refusing responsibility for #Haiti #cholera nyti.ms/1gWNScs 10 hours ago
- RT @Clare__B: "Partnerships Will Lead the Way in Post-2015" @AliceAlbright reflects on #GPHLM Focus Session w/ @sanwatforall & #IHP http://… 11 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch