A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Clean water & sanitation for the entire planet = $10B | FUTURE PRIMATE Mon, 21Apr2014Clean water & sanitation for the entire planet = $10B. Link. Posted on April 21, 2014 by FUTURE PRIMATE · 20140421-000444.jpg. Share this:.
- Can Mr. Poo stop public defecation in India? Mon, 21Apr2014An absence of adequate toilets and water facilities is as much the reason for this as is a lack of awareness about proper sanitation and hygiene.
- Ethiopia - Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Project : P101473 - Implementation Status Results ... Sun, 20Apr2014Ethiopia - Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Project : P101473 - Implementation Status Results Report : Sequence 14 (English)
- Water and sanitation: addressing inequalities #sdoh @TheLancet : equitylist - Inagist Sun, 20Apr2014Water and sanitation: addressing inequalities #sdoh @TheLancet http://t.co/r4jYUCNe8K by equitylist 457889788511936512.
- Calendar | Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District Sun, 20Apr2014Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District · Home · About Us · Meet Your Board · Meetings · Rules & Regulations · Management · District Map · Budget ...
- Access to water‚ toilets to all by 2030 | Urban Gateway Sun, 20Apr2014Almost 10,500 children under the age of five die every year of diarrhoeal diseases as they don't have access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Second Programme of Drinking Water and Sanitation Metropolitan Area and Greater Buenos Aires ... Sun, 20Apr2014Second Programme of Drinking Water and Sanitation Metropolitan Area and Greater Buenos Aires: Acquisition of flowmeters and pressure recorders.
- LWSC to build US$199K sanitation facility in Zwedru - Heritage Newspaper Liberia Sun, 20Apr2014ZWEDRU, GRAND GEDEH COUNTY: The Liberia Water and Sewer Corporation (LWSC) will construct a US$199,234 sanitation facility in Zwedru, the ...
- UNICEF to improve a few families than 30,000 water and sanitation facilities - Finance News Sun, 20Apr2014According to Portuguese news agency Lusa reported on April 19, the United Nations [microblogging] UNICEF Representative in Guinea Bissau said in ...
- Water And Sanitation Agency LDA - WASA Tender Notice For Provision of Water Supply System ... Sun, 20Apr2014Water And Sanitation Agency LDA - WASA Tender Notice For Provision of Water Supply System - Lahore. source: Nawa-e-waqt, views: 1, posted: ...
- Water And Sanitation Agency Lda Lahore Jobs 20-04-2014 | findROZI Job Placement Solution Sun, 20Apr2014Express, Pakistan April 20, 2014 – SUNDAY Banazir Bhutto Medical College Karachi Job Opportunities. Teaching Staff Required. International ...
- MOROGORO URBAN WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION AUTHORITY Table No.1 ... - moruwasa Sun, 20Apr2014MOROGORO MUNICIPALITY. Managing Director,. Telegrams: “MTO”. Urban Water and Sanitation Authority,. Telephone: +255 23 2614182/4145.
- Youth choose innovative ways for community service (Feature) Sun, 20Apr2014To spread this message, she wrote a book on water conservation "'Rohan on ... Sharma also felt that awareness about the environment and sanitation ...
- Call to Action | Environmental Synthesis and Communication - Wellesley College Blog Sun, 20Apr2014In 2000, world leaders committed to halving the number of people without access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation through the MDGs ...
- Sanitation and Environmental Technician II Careers at Mbeya Urban Water and Sewerage ... Sun, 20Apr2014Job Title: Sanitation and Environmental Technician II Employer: Mbeya Urban Water and Sewerage Authority (MBEYA UWSA) Duty Station: Mbeya, ...
- Meet Your Board | Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District Sun, 20Apr2014Meet The Board Mission Statement Provide high quality, reliable, sustainable water and ecologically safe wastewater collection and treatment with a ...
- Water Quality | Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District Sat, 19Apr2014Water Quality The District's number one priority is to provide the residents of Cottonwood with a safe and dependable supply of drinking water 24 ...
- Conservation | Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District Sat, 19Apr2014The Board of Directors of the Cottonwood Water and Sanitation District (“District”) has adopted a Water Conservation Plan effective May 1, 2003.
- New blog from Jaehyang So, Director,... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Sat, 19Apr2014New blog from Jaehyang So, Director, Trust Funds and Partnerships, World Bank The HLM is a "milestone meeting not just because of its growing ...
- About Us | Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District Sat, 19Apr2014The Cottonwood Water & Sanitation District (CWSD), is classified as a quasi-municipal corporation and political subdivision of the State of Colorado.
- RT @tobylanzer: Shocking images from #Bentiu taken today: I am posting this to make people aware but viewer discretion is advised. http://t… 7 hours ago
- RT @medindoagua: The Água & Water Daily is out! paper.li/medindoagua/ag… Stories via @MavensNotebook @NRDCWater @txawwa 7 hours ago
- RT @UNW_WWD: Interested in Water & Energy?! Check out these information resources on bit.ly/1aNtmKM 7 hours ago
- RT @WASHfunders: Funder profiles: learn about the #water, #sanitation, #hygiene strategies of 17 foundations ow.ly/vWab3 7 hours ago
- RT @etolsma2000: #SNV_WASH was present, check SNV video link MT"@UnescoIHE: Water Sector Market links +30 Dutch orgs to +200 students http:… 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch