A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Quirino farmers to get clean drinking water through DAR's CP- Wash project Tue, 11Mar2014... Quirino recently turned over a Community-Managed Potable Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (CP-WASH) project worth P195,000 providing ...
- WaterAid, UN-Habitat call for improve access to water, sanitation | Daily Newswatch Tue, 11Mar2014WaterAid, UN-Habitat call for improve access to water, sanitation ... Poor water, sanitation and hygiene is costing Nigeria around N455 billion which is ...
- India - Andhra Pradesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation : P101650 - Implementation Status ... Mon, 10Mar2014India - Andhra Pradesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation : P101650 - Implementation Status Results Report : Sequence 09 (English)
- NGO's Launch New $100,000 Tool to Map Water & Sanitation Points in Africa's Largest Slum ... Mon, 10Mar2014According to the partners, the WATSAN portal will allow users to launch high-quality water and sanitation projects in Kibera with ease in a move ...Sam Wakoba
- Live Q&A: sustainable sanitation Mon, 10Mar2014Despite some movement towards better sanitation and access to water outlined in the millennium development goals, progress in this area has been ...
- DryBath: How to keep clean without using a drop of water Mon, 10Mar2014He says his trademarked invention can be a "precious tool" for the millions of people lacking access to clean water and sanitation, as well as an an ...
- ARBOs in Castilla town now has access to potable water, alternative cooking fuel Mon, 10Mar2014Upon learning the dilemma of the community, DAR offered Community-managed Potable Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (CPWASH) project,” ...
- Rainwater Harvesting Cheaper Option Sun, 09Mar2014As the effects of climate change worsen, more and more people in Africa have seen an increase in the scarcity of water, severely affecting sanitation ...
- RT @SOILHaiti: #Toilets are too cool for school! SOIL makes #sanitation education fun for all. @PortlandPHLUSH @susana_org http://t.co/QDkb… 6 days ago
- RT @BochikaOrg: RT @SOILHaiti 8300 people in #Haiti died of #Cholera and 1/6 of the population made ill. #sanitation matters! http://t.co… 6 days ago
- RT @DroneCentre: BBC News - The Indian sanitary pad revolutionary bbc.com/news/magazine-… #sanitation #india #clealiness 6 days ago
- RT @MBAsWB: Southern African leaders fail to prioritize #water and #sanitation bit.ly/1mQiQr7 @guardian 6 days ago
- RT @mqtodd: Impressive RT @EndWaterPoverty: Great #sanitation #resource page from @Sanitation2015 smq.tc/1cdmhCE #water #WASH 6 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch