A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Lack of sanitation having Fri, 29Aug2014He said sanitation was cross-cutting, adding that building more toilets ... and dysentery, which was caused due to bad water and a lack of sanitation.
- 4h Fri, 29Aug2014@NRDC @citiesnetworkCa Panicked #Democrats cut ties with #climate alarmist as Obama puts them in fear of November senate loss. #climate.
- Emergency Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Afghanistan - World Vision 2014 Fri, 29Aug2014With DFATD's support, World Vision Canada is helping to address the emergency water, sanitation and hygiene needs of up to 24,787 Afghans ...
- Lack of sanitation having 'staggering' effect on lives of 2.5 billion people: UN Fri, 29Aug2014He said sanitation was cross-cutting, adding that building more toilets ... and dysentery, which was caused due to bad water and a lack of sanitation.
- Clean India'' make sanitation a... - Water - EnvironmentGuru.com | Facebook Fri, 29Aug2014For ''Clean India'' make sanitation a top priority with civil servants: India's new Prime Minister Narendra Modi has deviated from convention and made.
- K47.74M SANITATION FUNDS MISSING Fri, 29Aug2014THE Auditor General's report on the Ministry of Local Government and Housing has revealed that out of a provision of K196 million for water sanitation ...
- Good read: USAID Needs to Bring Together #Water & #Sanitation with Fresh Water Conservation ... Fri, 29Aug2014I am the author of an issue brief published by the Natural Resources Defense Council today, Connecting Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene with Fresh ...
- Damon dumps toilet water over head for ALS Fri, 29Aug2014By using toilet water, Damon hopes to draw attention to the lack of safe water and sanitation in the developing world. "For those of you like my wife ...
- Clean India Fri, 29Aug2014... and millions of field workers with the sanitation and water supply, health, education and social welfare departments along with civil society. India can ...
- Ebola: Lagos dedicate August sanitation exercise to campaign Thu, 28Aug2014In the last 1 day; Lagos Dedicates August Sanitation Exercise To Prevent ... As water resources ministry partners states on sanitation · Peoples Daily ...
- Civil Engineer Position Job Vacancy @ Damauli Drinking Water and Sanitation Consumer Society Thu, 28Aug2014Civil Engineer Position Job Vacancy @ Damauli Drinking Water and Sanitation Consumer Society. Deadline to apply: 3 September, 2014
- Short Term: Sanitation Toolkit Development Specialist Thu, 28Aug2014The USAID Indonesia Urban Water Sanitation and Hygiene (USAID IUWASH) project is a sixty-month program funded by the United States Agency for ...
- Nexus A0 Poster 2_concept Thu, 28Aug2014City. Sustainable Development • MDG, SDGs. CONCEPT. South Africa. South Africa. FOOD. WATER. ENERGY. CLIMATE. WATER AND. SANITATION.
- Management of water resources vital for the pacific Thu, 28Aug2014Rhonda Robinson the deputy director water and sanitation programme with the secretariat of the pacific community said pacific small island ...
- World Vision Australia | Water and sanitation Thu, 28Aug2014Warning: file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 122 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in ...
- Water and Sanitation Thu, 28Aug2014Tender Detail, : Tenders are invited for Lowering laying and jointing 400 mm and 250 mm dik 7 grade pipe line near aditya nagar water tank from ...
- World Vision Australia | Water and sanitation Thu, 28Aug2014http://www.internationaldonors.org/charity/world-vision-australia-water-and-sanitation/#comment-40072 Thu, 13 Jun 2013 22:13:12 +0000 ...
- Training On Water Sanitation Hygiene Thu, 28Aug20142014 World Water WeekWorld Water Week is organised by the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) ...
- K47.74m sanitation funds missing Thu, 28Aug2014THE Auditor General's report on the Ministry of Local Government and Housing has revealed that out of a provision of K196 million for water sanitation ...
- 5 TED Talks Addressing Water and Sanitation Thu, 28Aug2014According to the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene focus area of the U.S. Global Health Initiatives, “Access to safe water can increase productivity while ...
- RT @SOILHaiti: You might be surprised to see how SOIL is using porta-potties. Waste not want not! bit.ly/1pdAsy7 @ToiletHackers @WA… 13 minutes ago
- RT @CanadayCL: @PortlandPHLUSH @RecodeOregon Yes. #recyclenutrients #0waste #ecosan with UDDTs. Book: ecosanres.org/pdf_files/Ecol… Results-based … 17 minutes ago
- RT @bryancallahan: IDBI Bank joins UNICEF for safe water, hygiene in 400 Maharashtra, UP schools - The Economic Times ecoti.ms/917V4b 7 hours ago
- RT @WaterWheelmag: Yes there is #SanitationResearch in Africa. Read all about it in latest issue of #SanitationMatters: http://t.co/4IuDf1b… 7 hours ago
- great video: Toilets: 2.5bn people go without – a 99-second video animation gu.com/p/4xxxb/tw #WATSAN #WASH 9 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch