A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Robert Lembke president of United Water and Sanitation District talks... News Photo 455599718 Wed, 17Sep2014Robert Lembke president of United Water and Sanitation District talks about a portfolio map of water rights in the Platte River at his office in ...
- The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage Disposal of Country Houses Wed, 17Sep2014Download book The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage Disposal of Country Houses pdf. Click Here. The Sanitation, Water Supply and Sewage ...
- Sustainable Groundwater Resources in Africa: Water supply and sanitation environment Wed, 17Sep2014Download book Sustainable Groundwater Resources in Africa: Water supply and sanitation environment pdf. Click Here. Sustainable Groundwater ...
- Intensify sanitation drive: Jora to SMC Wed, 17Sep2014He directed the Commissioner, SMC to organize shift wise sanitation of the various areas where the water level has receded, so that all dumped ...
- Ethiopia water and sanitation project WORTH US$91.1m for Wed, 17Sep2014African Newspapers, Africa Online News & Free Online Flash Games.
- Senior Civil Engineer Wed, 17Sep2014Senior Civil Engineer: Water and Sanitation Job available in Bloemfontein, Permanent position for a Skilled Level candidate within the Building ...
- Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Wed, 17Sep2014Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). Wednesday, 17th September 2014 - 19:39. John Snow, Incorporated | Mozambique | Apply ...
- Peru gov't to invest US$18.7 bn in sanitation, water projects through 2021 Wed, 17Sep2014Lima, Sep. 17. Peru's Housing, Construction and Sanitation Ministry has launched the National Sanitation Plan that includes a 8-year investment of ...
- Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Wed, 17Sep2014JSI seeks an experienced Director- Nutrition/Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for an anticipated USAID funded project in Mozambique. The goal of the ...
- IntelRadio's Ellis Martin with NanoStruck's CEO on Water Purification Technologies Wed, 17Sep2014The technology has a number of applications and can be used from water sanitation and purification, whether the water has been affected by ...
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene: The World's Biggest Killers. Wed, 17Sep2014The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) defines improved sanitation and drinking water as a “separation between human feces with ...
- Swimming for Water Wed, 17Sep2014As part of Amref Health Africa's newest five-year Water, Sanitation and Personal Hygiene (WASH) program begun in 2011, we've trained several ...
- The quintessence of sanitation? Are we missing something on how to deal with the ever growing ... Wed, 17Sep2014We speak about reflecting on the full scale of sanitation delivery services but really what we should then be saying: For ALL WASH- water, sanitation ...
- At Catholic Relief Service (CRS) - (Accra and Tamale) Wed, 17Sep2014Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has been working in Ghana since 1958 in Health, Agriculture, Peace Building, Water and Sanitation, Microfinance and ...
- DAI Global Wed, 17Sep2014VIDEO: Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene supports government in spreading awareness about improved management of septic ...
- Communities Wed, 17Sep2014Improve sanitation and cialis overnight water management in Angkor Park (PAAGERA). Type de l'avis: Sollicitation de Manifestations d'Intérêt .
- Federal Ministry of Information, Nigeria Wed, 17Sep2014Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) is crucial to life and all human existence as it is the basis for securing the public health of the populace and...
- Hygiene and Sanitation for Preppers Wed, 17Sep2014~In a post-SHTF world, sanitation and hygiene will be important to keep yourself and your family healthy. Running water may no longer be an option or ...
- HAV seroprevalence in Middle East, North Africa declined in younger populations Wed, 17Sep2014HAV seroprevalence declines were associated with a population's access to improved water sources, sanitation facilities, waste water treatment and ...
- Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) Wed, 17Sep2014Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) invites application for the recruitment of Consultants with M. Sc/ Ph.D/ M.Tech/Any Masters Degree ...
- paper: survival of enteric bacteria in source-separated human #urine for fertiliser: effects of temp & ammonia ow.ly/BCYeh #wash 1 hour ago
- UNITAR is launching a new session of the e-learning course Governance in Urban Sanitation wp.me/pCkIF-xq 2 hours ago
- Child deaths decline globally, with more children living to age 5, UNICEF report finds | PBS NewsHour ow.ly/BCWbh 2 hours ago
- Peru Seeks Private Funding for $19 Billion of Water Works wp.me/pCkIF-xn 3 hours ago
- German bank allocates over $320M more to #Azerbaijan for #water and #sanitation ow.ly/BCS0q 3 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch