A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Uruguay to expand sewage network and improve drinking water quality Wed, 23Jul2014IDB supports program that will expand sanitation coverage and improving drinking water quality in Uruguay.
- Water Sanitation Health and Hygiene (WASH) Advisor Wed, 23Jul2014Water Sanitation Health and Hygiene (WASH) Advisor: GOAL. Deadline: July 25, 2014. Location: Rusape (1 post) Contract: One (1) year with a ...
- No Eid holidays for WASA field staff Wed, 23Jul2014Rawalpindi Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA) field staff Eid holidays have been cancelled to meet any emergency situation. As per duty roster ...
- Water and Sanitation Wed, 23Jul2014Search Results For Water and Sanitation. Bid Closing Date Jul 24, 2014 (Thursday) To Jan 24, 2015 (Saturday). Prev
- The water war in Gaza Wed, 23Jul2014Last week, United Nations Special Rapporteur for the human rights to water and sanitation Catarina De Albuquerque tweeted, "Right to #water and ...
- Paraguay contemplates creating new water authority Wed, 23Jul2014Paraguay's public works ministry announced a draft bill to create a new water and sanitation authority to improve coordination and regulations in the ...
- Humanitarian Support Officer, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Wed, 23Jul2014Provide technical WASH (Water, Sanitation, Hygiene) advice and support to the Humanitarian Response Department, Regional Offices, in-country OA ...
- Swimming alerts, advisories posted at area beaches Wed, 23Jul2014... of swimming advisories and alerts were issued Tuesday by the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries Shellfish Sanitation and Recreational Water Quality ...
- Water Sanitation in El Ouatia Centre, Lot 4: Power Line Wed, 23Jul2014Water Sanitation in El Ouatia Centre, Lot 4: Power Line. Funded by Agence Française de Développement - AFD. Location Morocco. Status.
- Sham directs CCDU functionaries to create greater awareness about water sanitation Wed, 23Jul2014Srinagar,July 23, 2014(CNS):-Minister for PHE, Irrigation & Flood Control, Sham Lal Sharma has called upon the functionaries of Communication &
- Guayaquil to Invest $20 Million for Sanitation Projects Wed, 23Jul2014The Municipal Public Drinking Water and Sanitation Company of Guayaquil (ECAPAG) last week announced an investment of $20 million USD for ...
- Network Wastewater 2nd Tranche Extension and Rehabilitation Network Liquid Sanitation and ... Wed, 23Jul2014Network Wastewater 2nd Tranche Extension and Rehabilitation Network Liquid Sanitation and Water Connection. Funded by Agence Française de ...
- Humanitarian agencies warn of imminent water crisis in Gaza Wed, 23Jul2014The Emergency Water Sanitation and Hygiene (EWASH) is a group of 30 humanitarian agencies working together to coordinate interventions, ...
- Supervisor Handyman - Water and Sanitation - WASA0328 Wed, 23Jul2014Department: Water and Sanitation Division:Operations Salary:R123 708 - R160 608 per annum (plus benefits). Minimum Requirements: NQF 3 with 2 ...
- Find the Solution, Committee Tells New Dept of Water and Sanitation Wed, 23Jul2014The Select Committee on Social Services has urged the newly established Department of Water and Sanitation to find strategies and mechanisms to ...
- Parker Water & Sanitation District Wed, 23Jul2014Parker Water & Sanitation District. 18100 E. Woodman Dr., Parker, CO, 80134. Created by ActiveNetwork | Claim this venue. Location & Nearby Info.
- Maji na Ufanisi Improving Access to Water and Sanitation Final Project Evaluation Wed, 23Jul2014This has been through direct implementations of Water and Environmental Sanitation programs, nurturing Community Based Organizations on ...
- Sh800m to boost Nandi water supply Wed, 23Jul2014Sh800m to boost Nandi water supply ... Lake Basin Development Authority, Lake Victoria North Water Services Board, the Water Sanitation and Health ...
- USAID spends $4m on water sector reform Wed, 23Jul2014He refuted speculations from some quarters that USAID, under its Sustainable Water and Sanitation for Africa (SUWANSA) programme, had ...
- Construction of drinking water and sanitation office building at Jhumri Telaiya Wed, 23Jul2014Government of Jharkhand, Drinking Water and Sanitation Division has invited an e- tender for the construction of drinking water and sanitation office ...
- US gives $7 M more for IDPs nternally displaced persons to UNICEF/Pakistan to improve #hygiene #water & #sanitation ow.ly/ztygY 24 minutes ago
- report: Rapid Appraisal of Rural #Water & #Sanitation Sector in Odisha India .pdf ow.ly/zttUY 3 hours ago
- Job posting: #WATER, #SANITATION AND #HYGIENE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT ReliefWeb ow.ly/zttL2 #watsan #wash 6 hours ago
- Thanks for the RTs this week! @WorldHygienePrg @washplusinfo @dietvorst @keachbauer @george_schuler via sumall.com/thankyou 6 hours ago
- Germany and Uganda join hands to improve #water and #sanitation ow.ly/zttEP #WASHnow #watsan 9 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch