A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Clean water and sanitation, a top priority- Gasim Wed, 03Sep2014Gasim Ibrahim, the Leader of the Jumhooree Party has said that providing clean water and sanitation should be the number one priority from the ...
- Chiquita may counter-sue clean water non-profit Tue, 02Sep2014Seattle-based non-profit Water and Sanitation Health Inc. (WASH) filed suit against Charlotte-based Chiquita in January in Washington State's King ...
- Noke inaugurates new building of PHED directorate Tue, 02Sep2014He said the new NDA government at the centre under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has considered water and sanitation as one of ...
- ncuwash.org Tue, 02Sep2014Traditionally the National Action Committee (NAC) for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene's (WASH) domain and mandate had been limited to Rural WASH ...
- Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies Tue, 02Sep2014The interactive version of the Compendium of Sanitation Systems and ... and cross-references to the Sustainable Sanitation and Water Management ...
- #WWWeek day 2: over 1bn people drink water contaminated by faeces Tue, 02Sep2014Senegalese minister Mansour Faye said today at World Water Week that sanitation is their greatest challenge. Photograph: Rebecca Blackwell/AP.
- Urban Sanitation Programme Manager - Global Water Jobs Tue, 02Sep2014The Urban Sanitation Programme Manager is responsible for the overall day-to-day management of an EC-funded pilot urban sanitation project in ...
- Reed Elsevier Announces 2014 Environmental Challenge Winners Tue, 02Sep2014... solutions to improve sustainable access to safe water and sanitation. ... winners were announced during World Water Week in Stockholm, a unique ...
- The Key to Drilling Wells with Staying Power in the Developing World Tue, 02Sep2014In communities where World Vision operates, local water, sanitation and hygiene committees are established to manage every new water point.
- eThekwini scoops coveted sanitation award Tue, 02Sep2014Stockhholm – eThekwini Municipality has reason to celebrate, as its efforts to eradicate the water and sanitation backlog have been acknowledged ...
- Water Experts to Gather at IWA World Congress Tue, 02Sep2014Congress delegates to call for the human right to water and sanitation to be expressly included in new UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Estimated Destination:World Water Week in Stockholm 2014 Tue, 02Sep2014World Water Week is organised by the Stockholm International Water ... Water, sanitation and hygiene are fundamental requirements for welfare and ...
- World Water Week: we must replicate Stockholm's water improvements Tue, 02Sep2014Universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene is a priority and business has a huge role to play. What took Stockholm three decades to achieve, ...
- Water award mocks our suffering Tue, 02Sep2014Does the eThekwini Municipality deserve to win the Stockholm Water Industry Award, which will be granted to its water and sanitation department this ...
- Read More Tue, 02Sep2014World Water Week (WWW), experts in the energy and water ... provision of water and sanitation services in the country's neediest regions. A South ...
- Projects Tue, 02Sep2014The hydromet and water use monitoring systems will include ground ... Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Sector and Trends Assessment in Haiti.
- Team Leader for long-term construction supervision - water supply, sanitation and drainage in ... Tue, 02Sep2014The aim of the project is to provide construction supervision services during implementation of the Lusaka Water Supply, Sanitation and Drainage ...
- DA: Statement by Leon Basson, Democratic... Tue, 02Sep2014DA: Statement by Leon Basson, Democratic Alliance Shadow Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation, on self-dug pit toilets a scandal – SAHRC must ...
- The Sanitation Innovation Challenge Tue, 02Sep2014The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) invites Expressions of Interest (EOI) from innovators, suppliers and specialists to the Sanitation ...
- Getting the Most Out of Africa's Hydropower Tue, 02Sep2014The day was an opportunity for the continent's top brass in the sphere of water and sanitation to share their experiences in unlocking the hydropower ...
- Sustainable Business Toolkit Warka Water Towers - Sustainable Business Toolkit ow.ly/B0W4T #watersecurity #wash 35 minutes ago
- RT @techreview: The long weekend is over. It's time to focus, be inspired, gain insight, register for #EmTechMIT: EmTechMIT.com 12 hours ago
- RT @D_Roy_Water: Great speech by #WWWeek laureate #Briscoe. Provocative as promised! http://t.co/HCg1q71DKU 12 hours ago
- Unclogging the Blockages in Sanitation | @sanupdates @dietvorst ow.ly/AXGwK #wash #watsan 22 hours ago
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #S wp.me/pCkIF-xd 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch