A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Matt Damon: 'Every 20 seconds, a child dies because of lack of water' Sun, 20Apr2014“Every 20 seconds, a child dies somewhere on the planet because of lack of access to clean water and sanitation. Millions of children are dying every ...
- #UPneedsNAMO food security including proper nutrition and drinking water; sanitation needs ... Sun, 20Apr2014UPneedsNAMO food security including proper nutrition and drinking water; sanitation needs; livelihood opportunities; education by BJPLucknowBJP ...
- Wasa union to launch drive against new company plan Sun, 20Apr2014The office-bearers and employees of Water and Sanitation Agency (Wasa) consider the company as harmful to their service career as well as the ...
- Sanitation District to tackle chloride issues Monday night Sun, 20Apr2014Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District officials will tackle the topic of chloride ... Second, the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board — the ...
- Water Supply And Sanitation - Free PDF downloads - Ebookilys.org Sat, 19Apr2014Water Supply And Sanitation downloads at Ebookilys.org - Download free pdf files,ebooks and documents - WATER SUPPLY, SANITATION AND ...
- Water and Sanitation Agency Lahore Development Authority - Expression of Interest | PaperPk ... Sat, 19Apr2014You have just read an article that categorized Government Tenders / Jang Newspaper Tenders / Tenders by title Water and Sanitation Agency Lahore ...
- Vail Daily letter: 'Yes' on A and B Sat, 19Apr2014Voters within the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District are being asked to cast a couple of votes on what may be the easiest decision they will ever ...
- Burkina Faso - Water and Sanitation Program : Support to “CEMEAU” (Water (...) - OIEau Sat, 19Apr2014In 2009, the German Cooperation Agency (GTZ) entrusted IOWater with a Feasibility Study on the transformation of the former PTC (Professional ...
- Collection: WASH - Water, Hygiene & Sanitation - Flickr Sat, 19Apr2014The National launch of the Revised National Nutrition Programme, the latest Lancet Series and the · The National launch of the... 12 photos ...
- Ten million gallons of water per day to be distributed to Thilawa SEZ Sat, 19Apr2014Ten million gallons of water per day to be distributed to Thilawa SEZ ... to Yangon City Development Committee, Water and Sanitation Department.
- Trying to Bring Water and Hygiene Through Battles in South Sudan Sat, 19Apr2014Just a few days ago, our team was supplying water and sanitation to some 6,000 people, treating water from an open source to ensure there was ...
- Water & Sanitation (58) - Syria Regional Refugee Response - Sat, 19Apr20141:00 PM - 3:00 PM. WASH WG Meeting. Location: UNHCR Office Beirut Description: Leah Building Chaired By: UNHCR/UNICEF Contact: Francesca ...
- Meeting Development Goals in Small Urban Centres Water and Sanitation in the World's Cities 2006 Sat, 19Apr2014Download Meeting Development Goals in Small Urban Centres Water and Sanitation in the World's Cities 2006 book pdf. You can download your ...
- WASHplus Weekly: Focus on Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting Sat, 19Apr2014Issue 142 April 18, 2014 | Focus on Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting This issue features the April 2014 Sanitation and Water for.
- The elusive effect of water and sanitation on the global burden of disease :: IRC - Ircwash.org Sat, 19Apr2014Title, The elusive effect of water and sanitation on the global burden of disease. Publication Type, Journal Article. Year of Publication, 2014. Authors ...
- Bolangir Walks For Water And Sanitation Ajsa Bolangir Orissa India.pdf free ebook download Sat, 19Apr2014Download BOLANGIR WALKS FOR WATER AND SANITATION AJSA BOLANGIR ORISSA INDIA.PDF documents from www.indiawaterportal.org.
- Water Valley Sanitation, 662-473-4229, City Government-Environmental Programs, Water Valley ... Sat, 19Apr2014Water Valley Sanitation, City Government-Environmental Programs, Environmental Quality Housing Business in Water Valley, MS 38965-0231, Phone ...
- The SWA 2014 Sector Ministers' Meeting... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Sat, 19Apr2014The SWA 2014 Sector Ministers' Meeting kicked off. Many experiences shared and interactions. Follow sanitation and Water for All on twitter ...
- Kick off for the 2014 Sanitation and... - Sanitation and Water for All | Facebook Sat, 19Apr2014Kick off for the 2014 Sanitation and Water for All High Level Meeting #HLM2014. The list of High Level speakers has never been so long to talk about...
- Good news for LDA staff Sat, 19Apr2014He said that Water and Sanitation Company will take over the system of supply and drainage in Lahore within three years under a phased programme.
- RT @etolsma2000: #SNV_WASH was present, check SNV video link MT"@UnescoIHE: Water Sector Market links +30 Dutch orgs to +200 students http:… 4 hours ago
- RT @aspringofhope: Great inforgraphic on water reuse, so necessary for our most precious resource. worldbank.org/en/news/featur… 4 hours ago
- RT @gha_org: . @gha_org event with @odi_development : Private funding of humanitarian aid: is this the future? #privateaid http://t.co/a1… 4 hours ago
- RT @gchallenges: MT @SOILHaiti: +6 tons #EcoSan #compost sold. Time to restock @gchallenges @11thhourproject @treeswater @susana_org http:/… 7 hours ago
- Paper: elusive effect of #water and #sanitation on the global burden of disease @IRCWASH ow.ly/vXcFm #irc #WATSAN #WASH 7 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch