A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- News Hits: United Nations officials say Detroit water shut-offs impact city's most vulnerable residents Tue, 21Oct2014... for safe drinking water and sanitation, provides her with, at most, the ability to advocate on behalf of people facing possible human rights violations.
- U.N. Officials Condemn Water Shutoffs in Detroit Tue, 21Oct2014During a visit to Detroit, Catarina de Albuquerque, U.N. special rapporteur on the right to safe drinking water and sanitation, and Leilani Farha, U.N. ...
- World Bank President on Reducing Inequality Tue, 21Oct2014... focuses on improving gender equity and low income people's access to food, shelter, clean water, sanitation health care, education and jobs.
- Water charges: Siptu says Government must 'step back' on row Tue, 21Oct2014“The Government needs to take a step back on the water controversy and find a ... fully offset the costs of every household's normal need for treated water. ... to do their cooking, to attend to their washing and other sanitation needs”.
- A Soap Start-Up Looks to Clean Up (and Do Some Good) Tue, 21Oct2014She describes her products as being “high impact” because she donates money directly to clean water and sanitation programs that she says have a ...
- Hygiene & Sanitation Coordinator Tue, 21Oct2014Living Water International is providing safe drinking waters Christian Witness, Sanitation and Hygiene Education to communities across Africa.
- Gambia provides clean water to over 85% of population- Says veep as she inaugurates US$5M ... Tue, 21Oct2014It is believed that the new water project will go along towards providing clean pipe borne water and sanitation infrastructure for the people of Gunjur ...
- Water supply works under the water supply and sanitation sector reform programme Tue, 21Oct2014Water supply works under the water supply and sanitation sector reform programme (phase II), Nigeria (GPN). Funded by EuropeAid Co-operation ...
- EBRD Conference: “Public-private partnerships in the water and sanitation sector”. Tue, 21Oct2014EBRD Conference: “Public-private partnerships in the water and sanitation sector”.
- Lakshmi and Group Tue, 21Oct2014Your loan will help Lakshmi and Group fund access to basic sanitation by building toilets and a water connection in their homes. Lakshmi and Group ...
- LDA Jobs 2014 in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company Tue, 21Oct2014Jobs are vacant in Water and Sanitation Company, Government of Pakistan, Lahore. LDA Jobs 2014 in Lahore Water & Sanitation Company. Water ...
- The false dichotomy among sanitation-for-all advocates Tue, 21Oct2014The sanitation debate, in recent years, has suffered from a seemingly ... of a sanitation system (toilets, sewers, drains, maintaining clean drinking water ...
- Detroit hearing on water shutoffs promotes UN, Democrats Tue, 21Oct2014Detroit hearing on water shutoffs promotes UN, Democrats ... a Portuguese lawyer and special rapporteur on water and sanitation, and Leilani Farha, ...
- Obama sends a message of congratulations to President Michael Sata on Zambia's 50th Tue, 21Oct2014... the Millennium Challenge Corporation Compact with Lusaka Water and Sanitation Programme to improve water, sanitation and drainage in Lusaka.
- Water Sanitation Health Tue, 21Oct2014Progress on drinking water and sanitation. Joint Monitoring Programme update 2014. Authors: WHO/UNICEF. INTERNATIONAL NEWS PHOTO(2).
- Mboynane Health Hut Water and Sanitation Project - Senegal Tue, 21Oct2014Mboynane Health Hut Water and Sanitation Project - Senegal. admin's picture. Submitted by admin on Mon, 10/20/2014 - 11:32. Mboynane Health Hut ...
- Research that holds water Tue, 21Oct2014Most residents have access to water from a faucet system. ... "The UN resolution on the human right to water and sanitation from 2010 is limited to ...
- Hygiene Tue, 21Oct2014International consultations on priorities for global monitoring post-2015 recommend an integrated approach to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene ...
- United Nations experts condemn Detroit water shutoffs Tue, 21Oct2014United Nations experts condemn Detroit water shutoffs ... right to safe drinking water and sanitation, said during a news conference on Monday.
- UN Officials Criticize City of Detroit for Water Shutoffs Tue, 21Oct2014UN Officials Criticize City of Detroit for Water Shutoffs ... of individuals and households and on their human rights to water, sanitation and housing.”.
- RT @WatSanCollabCou: #UNCWH2014 INFOGRAPH: How do women deal w/ inadequate #WASH facilities? WSSCC/SHARE findings bit.ly/1xVpyOq ht… 3 hours ago
- RT @TheDailyEdge: #ThatAwkwardMoment when Republicans who want to be your gynecologist complain the Ebola czar lacks medical experience htt… 3 hours ago
- Sustainable model for rural #sanitation in India | mydigitalfc.com ow.ly/D4xPf 7 hours ago
- UN officials 'shocked' by Detroit’s mass water shutoffs | Al Jazeera America ow.ly/D4wj1 17 hours ago
- RT @OpenSociety: In the #Ebola fight, a community-based approach is getting health-and economic-results: osf.to/1nr6Ugu 2 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch