A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Water and Sanitation a Critical Development Issue for the Pacific Wed, 20Aug2014Tuesday 19 August 2014, Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) headquarters, Noumea, New Caledonia – Water and sanitation are among the ...
- 2 bed with heat, water and sanitation included in Cheviot. 400 deposit Wed, 20Aug2014Large 2 bedroom with 1 bath apartment for rent. rent includes water, sanitation, trash and heat! Located in Cheviot and close proximity to Westwood, ...
- Water, trash & sanitation incld. 1st month special 99 Wed, 20Aug2014Charming 2 bed 1 bath apartment that is approximately 900 square feet directly across from the Kroger Market Place. Rent includes water, sanitation ...
- Drought, Poor Access To Water, Sanitation Contribute To Recurrent Cholera Outbreak In Cameroon Wed, 20Aug2014Drought, Poor Access To Water, Sanitation Contribute To Recurrent Cholera Outbreak In Cameroon « » The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation.
- WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene) SECTOR HEAD Wed, 20Aug2014Job Title: WASH (Water, Hygiene and Sanitation) SECTOR HEAD Job Level: Managerial Position Required Workdays: 5 days/40 hours Place of ...
- Evaluation of Sanitation, Water and Hygiene in Rural areas of Zimbabwe Wed, 20Aug2014ACF-UK is currently recruiting a consultant with experience in WaSH for the external evaluation of theSanitation, Water and Hygiene in Rural areas of ...
- Philippines: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Delegate (Philippines) Wed, 20Aug2014Organization: British Red Cross Country: Philippines Closing date: 31 Aug 2014 The British Red Cross are looking for a WaSH delegate who will help ...
- Sanitation for emerging markets: Google Hangout with World Bank Wed, 20Aug2014Jemima Sy is the global business leader for the Water and Sanitation Program's initiative on domestic private sector participation. The Water and ...
- Print Version Wed, 20Aug2014in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme areas of Bangladesh Rural Advancement. Committee. T Akter1, AM Ali2. 1Bangladesh Rural ...
- Government Tackles Limpopo Water Problems Wed, 20Aug2014Pretoria — The Minister of Water and Sanitation, Nomvula Mokonyane, has promised the residents of Giyani in Limpopo access to water by the end of ...
- Zimbabwe: Evaluation of Sanitation, Water and Hygiene in Rural areas of Zimbabwe Wed, 20Aug2014ACF-UK is currently recruiting a consultant with experience in WaSH for the external evaluation of the Sanitation, Water and Hygiene in Rural areas of ...
- Endeavour Highlights & Impact Wed, 20Aug2014Initiating discourse on Water and Sanitation as basic human right and facilitated law maker (MLAs) take part in South Asian conference on Right to ...
- Water and Sanitation Engineers for Design and Supervision Wed, 20Aug2014B.Sc (Eng.) in Civil Engineering, minimum of 8 years post-graduation experience in design and supervision of Water and Wastewater Projects and ...
- Condo Smarts: Who has to fix the water pipes in a bare-land strata? Wed, 20Aug2014A sanitation and water system that is managed by the strata corporation may require a significant upgrade or renewal every 40 to 70 years. The costs ...
- Kristen Downs Wed, 20Aug2014Kristen's interest in water and sanitation issues in developing countries began when teaching high school science in the Peace Corps in Kenya and ...
- El Nido water supply and sanitation project Wed, 20Aug2014The feasibility study for the project, which was completed in June this year, is to be ...
- Public Health, Water, Sanitation, and Food Security Wed, 20Aug2014Case Studies in Urbanization: Public Health, Water, Sanitation, and Food Security is a continuing education course at Harvard Extension School.
- (WEDC) knowledge base Wed, 20Aug2014Author: WEDC. Pages: website. Summary: This unique body of knowledge in water and sanitation has developed over 40 years. It offers ...
- Water and Sanitation Pooled Fund fixes Record Date for Payment of Interest for Bonds Wed, 20Aug2014Water and Sanitation Pooled Fund has informed that August 22, 2014 has been fixed as the Record Date for the purpose of Payment of Interest for ...
- Water & Sanitation Engineering Jobs in Kenya Wed, 20Aug2014Water and Sanitation Engineers for Design and Supervision ... minimum of 8 years post-graduation experience in design and supervision of Water and ...
- Making a stink: creating social media platforms to end #opendefecation | @sanupdates ow.ly/AvVxD #WASH #WATSAN 3 hours ago
- Thanks for the RTs this week! @tysavestheworld via sumall.com/thankyou 4 hours ago
- @water congratulates partner Grameen Koota on achievement of lending over $16.3M US to borrowers in India to address #water & #sanitation 6 hours ago
- What do you think, will this help:: #MDG Momentum: UN launches 500 days of action to build a better world ow.ly/AvT4A 9 hours ago
- @tdh_ch #EcoSan #toilet implementation in a Indian village : on Vimeo ow.ly/AvUbl wp.me/pCkIF-wK 18 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch