A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Spain honours Sir Abed Thu, 23Oct2014... food security, health, education, safe water, sanitation, human rights, migration, disaster management and environment conservation in Bangladesh, ...
- Global Data on Water Utilities Reveals Sector Growth but Bottlenecks in Wastewater Service Delivery Thu, 23Oct2014The International Benchmarking Network Water Supply and Sanitation Blue Book 2014, which analyzed data from 4,400 utilities in more than 135 ...
- “Ebola is with us, here and now” Thu, 23Oct2014David Watako is a water and sanitation engineer, originally from Kenya, who has been working for Oxfam in Liberia since June 2013. Ebola is with us ...
- UN launches appeal for $2.2 billion to aid displaced people of Iraq Thu, 23Oct2014It included the provision of shelter and non-food items, protection, health, food, water sanitation and hygiene, education, and logistics until the end of ...
- This Indian Cleanup App Could Clean Up the World Thu, 23Oct2014You can see the road, and below and to the right, the water tower. Location identified, now send in the sanitation engineers—how delightfully efficient!
- Alia Rasoully on Twitter: "Discussing poor water sanitation in #Afghanistan w/Prof Greg Freyer ... Thu, 23Oct2014Discussing poor water sanitation in #Afghanistan w/Prof Greg Freyer. Strategies for better waste mgmt is much needed! pic.twitter.com/g8UPhgJm3I.
- Sounding off on purported plans to create UN Nutrition Thu, 23Oct2014... platform and promote breastfeeding and nutrition-sensitive approaches in agriculture and water, sanitation and hygiene, among other sectors.
- 150000 Children Die in Nigeria Due to Poor Sanitation Thu, 23Oct2014150,000 Children Die in Nigeria Due to Poor Sanitation. This is only an excerpt! Sign up for a free trial to receive CURRENT Daily Water Briefings or ...
- Legislate on Right2Water and exclude water permanently from the internal market and trade ... Thu, 23Oct2014The EESC urges the European Commission to propose legislation establishing access to water and sanitation as a human right as set out by the ...
- Promote household toilets instead of public toilets Thu, 23Oct2014The CLTS household latrines formed part of UNICEF's Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH) programme aimed at eradicating endemic open ...
- Cape residents march over service delivery Thu, 23Oct2014Residents claim they have had no access to water, sanitation and electricity since moving on to privately-owned land at Marikana and Rholihlahla in ...
- Ethiopia: EU increases humanitarian funding for refugees Thu, 23Oct2014... vulnerable populations providing them with food assistance and nutrition, basic healthcare, access to clean water, sanitation, shelter and protection.
- Read More Thu, 23Oct2014Global collaboration for water infrastructure development and governance ... delegates cited that access to clean water supply and sanitation is a.
- What 'Clean India' Can Learn From South Korea's New Village Movement Thu, 23Oct2014Stressing how important sanitation is for development, he urged Indians to pay serious attention to basic sanitation, public health, and clean water.
- Better global disability data needed to ensure no one is left behind Thu, 23Oct2014At the conference, Lynne also announced at the conference that all water, sanitation and hygiene programmes delivered on behalf of DFID will now ...
- Sanitation exercise holds on Saturday Thu, 23Oct2014The post Sanitation exercise holds on Saturday appeared first on Daily ... 17 HOURS AGO; Poor Sanitation, Unsafe Water Consumption Kill 150,000 ...
- I Bo P Asia Innovation Cross Sector Partnership Improving Water Sanitation Thu, 23Oct2014pdf India Water Resources Management Sector Review Rural Water Supply And Sanitation Review World Bank 19988. www.indiawaterportal.org/.
- Government Provides Water Systems To Four Communities Thu, 23Oct2014Government is providing piped water systems to four communities in the Upper West Region, under the Sustainable Rural Water and Sanitation ...
- INFORMATION NIGERIA Thu, 23Oct2014Poor Sanitation, Unsafe Water Consumption Kill 150000 Nigerian Children Annually. About 150000 children die annually in Nigeria due to poor ...
- Gov't provides water systems to four communities Thu, 23Oct2014Government is providing piped water systems to four communities in the Upper West Region, under the Sustainable Rural Water and Sanitation ...
- Nigeria: 150 000 child deaths blamed on poor sanitation | West Africa ow.ly/Dcz0b 2 hours ago
- Monitoring and evaluation of local water and sanitation services - leasons learned • @susana_org ow.ly/DcyOv 5 hours ago
- Social audit raises issues around the right to #sanitation Cape Town South Africa| Opinion | Mail & Guardian ow.ly/DcC7l 9 hours ago
- FSM3 International #Faecal Sludge Management Conference Jan 18 - 21 Hanoi ow.ly/DcCOc #FaecalSludge #sanitation 11 hours ago
- job posting: Water & Sanitation Delegate- #Ebola Treatment Centre #IFRC @Federation AfricanDevJobs ow.ly/DcCqU #WATSAN #WASH 11 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch