A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Coordination Consultant for the Science of Delivery in Urban Water and Sanitation Sector Initiative Fri, 19Sep2014Coordination consultant for the science of delivery in urban water and sanitation sector initiative.
- Helping women through clean water and sanitation Fri, 19Sep2014In the U.S., the average girl can pour herself a glass of clean water when she's thirsty. She can walk to school on paved streets without sewage getting ...
- Punjab's rural water supply scheme rated the best in the country Fri, 19Sep2014The 16 World Bank mission while rating praising Punjab's implementation of of a Rs. 1280 crore Punjab Rural Water Supply and Sanitation (PRWSS) ...
- Schools and sanitation Fri, 19Sep2014Teaching children about hygiene and sanitation alone is not enough. ... My centre had a single toilet for boys and girls, and with no running water.
- A Taste of Swaziland - Palms for Life Fund Water, Sanitation and School Gardens Project Fri, 19Sep2014
- Vgvnj0 Fri, 19Sep2014Buy 12v Macerator Sanitation Water Pump 45 LPM 12 GPM RV Marine Boat Waste DC Toilet Where Can I Buy SPECIAL PRICE 12v Macerator ...
- US hands over Investment Master Plans Fri, 19Sep2014He said the Master Plans were developed to assess water supply, sanitation and drainage needs in Lusaka up to 2035 as part of a constraints ...
- Governor Brown Streamlines Relief Efforts for Families with Drinking Water Shortages Due to ... Fri, 19Sep2014The order makes funding available through the California Disaster Assistance Act to provide water for drinking and sanitation to households currently ...
- eric awere Fri, 19Sep2014Topics focus. Hot Topics; HIV/AIDS and WASH; Human Rights to Water and Sanitation; Services for the Urban Poor; Sanitation; Community Led Total ...
- Building New Lives through Improving Access to Water and Toilets Fri, 19Sep2014Local Resident. To provide opportunities for residents and to improve access to water and sanitation, the North East Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene ...
- sanitation Fri, 19Sep2014Other targets include improving access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation from 60 to at least 85 per cent; increasing proportion of Tuberculosis ...
- Gosling: Undoing inequity- inclusive water, sanitation and hygiene programmes for all Fri, 19Sep2014International Water Centre - Water leadership for the future ... Gosling: Undoing inequity- inclusive water, sanitation and hygiene programmes for all.
- Senior Advisor Fri, 19Sep2014Senior Advisor - Water/Sanitation Financing/Governance in Accra, Ghana. Detail for this vacancy. You must be logged in to see the full content of this ...
- Pricing Water Resources and Water and Sanitation Services Fri, 19Sep2014Pricing Water Resources and Water and Sanitation Services, Pricing Water Resources and Water and Sanitation Servicespdf, Pricing Water ...
- Nosimo Balindlela Fri, 19Sep2014Honourable Speaker, Our heritage does not only consist of valued objects and buildings or the natural wonders of our country, it is also the cultural ...
- Zambian capital needs $4bn water, sanitation infrastructure - study Fri, 19Sep2014The Zambian capital city Lusaka needs an investment of about US$4 billion in water supply, sanitation and drainage infrastructure if it is to meet the ...
- Improvements noted for St. Clair River Fri, 19Sep2014“I'm interested in the latest research on water quality in the St. Clair River, the status of fisheries and the economic future of the river,” Ogden, ...
- Octogenarian leads fight against contaminated water Fri, 19Sep2014... was aware of the number, but said she used it to register complaints about garbage collection and sanitation. "Water has been polluted for years.
- Water Sanitation Hygiene Fri, 19Sep2014Government of Haiti - Direction Nationale de l'Eau Potable et de l'Assainissement. Emergency Information Management.
- World Bank rates Punjab's PRWSS project best in country Fri, 19Sep2014The World Bank has rated phase-I of Punjab Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project (PRWSS) as the best in the country for exceeding water ...
- What we learnt about #Sanitation for emerging markets from World Bank Experts ow.ly/BDjPr #watsan #wash 10 hours ago
- pub: Making community-led total #sanitation fully inclusive; and Violence, gender and WASH: toolkit. WaterAid ow.ly/BDjyK 13 hours ago
- Ebola challenge exposes sanitation gaps in schools | BusinessDay ow.ly/BDjdA 16 hours ago
- RT @AnnieFeighery: Technology-driven mobile surveys for innovating M&E wateraid.org/news/news/larg… @WaterAid partners with @mWaterCo in Banglade… 16 hours ago
- RT @johnwsauer: If we (as an org) can't do city-wide, district-wide #WASH services we need to partner with others who will get to the the e… 16 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch