A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Ghastly rural sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014In these columns we have talked about central schemes on education, rural roads, water supply, sanitation and the rest of them. People repeatedly ...
- UN Secretary General ramps up Haiti cholera response rhetoric Mon, 28Jul2014He stressed the need for global support to address the challenges of clean water and sanitation in Haiti in order to put to a halt an epidemic that has ...
- Water and Sanitation projects Mon, 28Jul2014Health and Sanitation Programs · Water and Sanitation projects · SNEHA – HIV/AIDS project · Water, Bio-manure ... Water and Sanitation projects ...
- Odisha govt lied to Centre to win sanitation awards ! Mon, 28Jul2014... Scrutiny Committee (ISC), State Level Scrutiny Committee (SLSC) and Odisha State Water and Sanitation Mission (OSWSM) to ensure eligibility.
- Water and sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014Every year, more than two million people – many of them children - die from diseases related to water and inadequate sanitation.
- Water and Sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014Posts about Water and Sanitation written by unicefburkinafaso.
- Business Eco-Systems for Water and Sanitation Services Mon, 28Jul2014This presentation describes the importance of business eco-systems in the context of water and sanitation services. Business presentation.
- Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) is in the process of reviewing and possibly amalgamating the National Water Act of 1997 and the ...
- Possible amalgamation of water acts Mon, 28Jul2014The Department of Water and Sanitation is in the process of reviewing and possibly amalgamating the National Water Act of 1997 and the Water ...
- Events - Announcement : National Water and Sanitation... Mon, 28Jul2014Meeting the Service Delivery Challenge • The Water and Sanitation Policy Environment • Water Research, Development and Innovation Choices
- Superintending Engineer Drinking Water & Sanitation Urban Circle, Ranchi INVITATION FOR BIDS Mon, 28Jul2014Drinking Water & Sanitation Urban Circle, Ranchi. INVITATION FOR BIDS (IFB). Tender reference no- Urban -dwsd/Alum-2014-15/ 01 (1st call) Date: ...
- Flush with success: Toilet that fights disease Mon, 28Jul2014However, from the favelas of Rio to the slums of Lagos, open drains, dirty drinking water and a lack of basic sanitation are a daily reality, the result of ...
- Indian Slum Sanitation Solution Mon, 28Jul2014An innovative toilet design that utilises removable waste and water ... Poor sanitation in developing countries is a major public health and safety issue.
- Delegated management services of electricity, drinking water & liquid sanitation services ... Mon, 28Jul2014Delegated management services of electricity, drinking water & liquid sanitation services. #*. Realization of a gravity collector says collector A Ø1000 ...
- New water testing facility to help check contamination Mon, 28Jul2014... water testing laboratory which was inaugurated at Hinoo on Thursday, by the drinking water and sanitation department minister, Jai Prakash Patel.
- Urban Sanitation Mon, 28Jul2014His mouth, full of betel nut juice, is swollen like a water balloon. His head is pounding in the eagerness to spit it out. At such moments earlier, he would ...
- Steamboat briefs: Timbers Water, Sanitation District completes plant Mon, 28Jul2014Courtesy photo. Pictured celebrating the new Timbers Water and Sanitation District treatment plant are, from left, Tim Gibbons, water system operator; ...
- Steamboat briefs: Timbers Water, Sanitation District completes plant Mon, 28Jul2014Pictured celebrating the new Timbers Water and Sanitation District treatment plant are, from left, Tim Gibbons, water system operator; Mary Andre, ...
- Water drainage: monsoon rains expose tall claims of arrangements Mon, 28Jul2014Water drainage: monsoon rains expose tall claims of arrangements ... Chaklala Boards about sanitation and cleanliness for drainage of rain water.
- Who Sanitation World Health Organization Sun, 27Jul2014Download Who Sanitation World Health Organization Pictures & Wallpapers ... Explanation For World Health Organization Water Sanitation Health ...
- RT @zenrainman: This is the way to a comprehensive approach to a water sensitive city thehindu.com/todays-paper/t… #Bangalore 2 days ago
- Global Health & Innovation Conference, a # GlobalHealth and Social Entrepreneurship Conference March 2015 at Yale U. ow.ly/zBwQb 2 days ago
- Nearly 1 million children under 5 in #SouthSudan will require treatment for acute malnutrition per UNICEF / WFP ow.ly/zBxa4 2 days ago
- RT @medindoagua: The Água & Water Daily is out! paper.li/medindoagua/ag… Stories via @saveourwater @WASHLink @WSUPUK 2 days ago
- Paper: 3D Printing (3DP): A humanitarian logistic game changer? ow.ly/zz1ll 3 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch