A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Modi Govt's dream of 'Toilets for Every House' gaining momentum Mon, 01Sep2014Every 20 seconds a child dies as a result of poor sanitation. ... Access to sanitation, the practice of good hygiene, and a safe water supply could save ...
- Water contamination getting worse – DA Mon, 01Sep2014FILE PICTURE: A resident fills her bucket with water from a tap. ... made up of the departments of water and sanitation and co-operative governance, ...
- Certificate Course in Water and Sanitation Mon, 01Sep2014Capacity Africa Institute is pleased to announce a certificate online and distance learning Course in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) ...
- Struggling to Find Water in the Vast Pacific Mon, 01Sep2014But without a nearby water source, such as a stream or waterfall, or a rainwater tank, she struggles with sanitation, washing, cooking and drinking.
- Water & Sanitation Services Peshawar Tender Notice Mon, 01Sep2014Water & Sanitation Services Peshawar Tender Notice.
- Water sanitation crisis tackled Mon, 01Sep2014Water sanitation crisis tackled. Monday, 1st September, 2014 - 09:55 by EWN. The DA concluded a series of oversight visits to local municipalities ...
- Joy is clean water flowing from taps in once-dry village Mon, 01Sep2014Worse still if the lives are lost due to water-borne diseases. ... after a prolonged consumption of river water coupled with poor sanitation standards.
- Data Entry Operator job in District Water and Sanitation Mission Mon, 01Sep2014Job Details: For the post of Data Entry Operator in District Water and Sanitation Mission (DWSM) applications are invited. Post Name: Data Entry ...
- 5 hours ago Mon, 01Sep2014Let's make water and sanitation a priority. Sign the petition today and earn points for tickets to the #GlobalCitizenFestival.
- 2.5bn People Lack Access To Sanitation Facilities Mon, 01Sep2014Rotarian Eni said that the project is designed to give communities ability to develop and maintain sustainable water and sanitation system and support ...
- Water sanitation crisis tackled Mon, 01Sep2014NEWS: WATER SANITATION CRISIS TACKLED. The DA concluded a series of oversight visits to local municipalities around some parts of the country ...
- Kaiping SHUIKOU Town CHUNQUAN Sanitation Water supplying and heating installation Factory Mon, 01Sep2014On this page you will find important information about Kaiping SHUIKOU Town CHUNQUAN Sanitation Water supplying and heating installation ...
- Leaving Boxes Behind: Civil Society and water and sanitation struggles in Durban, South Africa Mon, 01Sep2014This article maps out the various forms of this engagement in four critical areas of water and sanitation in Durban, South Africa, namely disconnections; ...
- Water sanitation crisis tackled Mon, 01Sep2014CAPE TOWN - The Democratic Alliance is set to announce steps to address the national water sanitation crisis today. This may include the possibility ...
- Korla City, Xinjiang secondary water sanitation special work starts Mon, 01Sep2014Tianshan (Reporter Guo Meijun reported August 29, Xinjiang Korla City Health Bureau, Health Authority of Korla City secondary water 107 property ...
- Rotary NZ responding to Fiji water and sanitation issues Mon, 01Sep2014Summary Rotary New Zealand responding to water and sanitation issues in Fiji. So, as many as 90,000 people could derive some benefit from ...
- Everything starts with water Mon, 01Sep2014International development organisation, WaterAid, has one clear purpose: to give everyone in the world access to clean, safe water and sanitation.
- Rotary NZ responding to Fiji water and sanitation issues Mon, 01Sep2014Clean water and sanitation are vital to health. In Fiji Rotary New Zealand have been targeting 22 communities that are experiencing severe hardship ...
- Goundaga and Lengewal Latrine Project - Senegal Mon, 01Sep2014Sanitation within Goundaga and Lewngewal is lacking significantly. The few latrines in these villages have filled up, requiring people to go to the fields ...
- Cleaning the Ganga is not about just cleaning the Ganga Mon, 01Sep2014http://www.niticentral.com/2014/08/29/cleaning-ganga-an-environmental-cultural-need-236845.html.
- RT @vossfoundation: Fact: 6,000 children die every day from preventable diseases associated with inadequate sanitation, poor hygiene, and u… 23 hours ago
- RT @WaterStJournal: The Water Street Journal Daily is out! paper.li/WaterStJournal Stories via @MattPrater @WUIW @WASHLink 23 hours ago
- RT @NedBreslin: #Sanitation superheroine Sherina Munyana of @waterforpeople: Love this! magazine.good.is/articles/sanit… via @good 1 day ago
- RT @johnwsauer: #BoPConvEx learning: microenterprises need some type of aggregator with serious commercial skill to drive scale. #sanitation 1 day ago
- RT @jenfhaile: Building toilets for #women is fundamental to gender equality, education, and safety. gu.com/p/4xx85/tw @guardian #sani… 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch