TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- DA: Statement by Leon Basson, Democratic... Tue, 02Sep2014DA: Statement by Leon Basson, Democratic Alliance Shadow Deputy Minister of Water and Sanitation, on self-dug pit toilets a scandal – SAHRC must ...
- Getting the Most Out of Africa's Hydropower Tue, 02Sep2014The day was an opportunity for the continent's top brass in the sphere of water and sanitation to share their experiences in unlocking the hydropower ...
- NSGA Gives Certificates to Students, Peer Health Educators Tue, 02Sep2014He noted that access to clean water and sanitation is a fundamental human right and essential to life health and dignity, adding that it is internationally ...
- Since 1990, billions more have access to clean water Tue, 02Sep2014Bruce Gordon, acting coordinator of water, sanitation, hygiene, and health for the WHO, says that the increase in improved water sources has been ...
- Promoting Water Access and Improved Sanitation in Rattanakiri Tue, 02Sep2014“Access to clean water and improved sanitation is not just a development intervention but the fulfillment of the right to survival, especially for children.
- Gaza: Environmental and health disaster Tue, 02Sep2014Ensuring people can have access to water, sanitation and hygiene facilities is vital in any crisis. Watch this interview with Monther Shublak, Director of ...
- WATER SANITATION AND HYGIENE HEAD OF PROJECT Tue, 02Sep2014Organization: Acción contra el Hambre Country: Philippines Closing date: 30 Sep 2014. WATER SANITATION AND HYGIENE. HEAD OF PROJECT.
- Tender For Water And Sanitation Agency LDA Lahore Tue, 02Sep2014Tender For Water And Sanitation Agency LDA Lahore Nawai Waqat 2 September 2014.Tender For Supply Lines With HDPE Pipe At Haji Park Umer ...
- WASH Agency Credited for Helping Zambia Tue, 02Sep2014Notable Achievement in the Water and Sanitation Sector Establishment of a Regulatory Agency, National Water Supply and Sanitation Council ...
- UNICEF Mobilizes Disadvantaged Communities and Generates Demand for Improved Water ... Tue, 02Sep2014UNICEF Mobilizes Disadvantaged Communities and Generates Demand for Improved Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Practices. Report. from UN ...
- Projects in Governance, Livelihood, Education, Water & Sanitation Sectors Tue, 02Sep2014Candidates having suitable qualification and relevant experience in similar assignment may submit their CVs by 8th Septemeber,at humanresource ...
- DA probe shows water 'dangerously' polluted Tue, 02Sep2014Poor water quality and sanitation are among the causes of service protests. ... Department of Water Affairs and Sanitation communications director ...
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Manager Tue, 02Sep2014Take a look at Medair's Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work. Project Overview. Medair is currently implementing three projects within South Sudan.
- Add comment Tue, 02Sep2014As I blogged a few weeks ago, the proposed WASH Post 2015 goals and targets for sanitation call for universal access to improved sanitation by the ...
- The key to drilling wells with staying power in the developing world Tue, 02Sep2014In communities where World Vision operates, local water, sanitation and hygiene committees are established to manage every new water point.
- Rotary New Zealand responding to water and sanitation issues in Fiji Tue, 02Sep2014Clean water and sanitation are vital to health. In Fiji Rotary New Zealand have been targeting 22 communities that are experiencing severe hardship ...
- 5h Mon, 01Sep2014Lack of #water and #sanitation costs countries an estimated 7% of annual GDP, says @EngstrmHillevi at the opening of the #WWWeeek.
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #S Mon, 01Sep2014INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #Sanitation Summit-2014 'Sanitation for ... "Implications of 'Rural Suburbia' on Water and Sanitation Provision in ...
- Water sanitation crisis tackled Mon, 01Sep2014CAPE TOWN - The Democratic Alliance is set to announce steps to address the national water sanitation crisis today. This may include the possibility ...
- Home burials threatens quality of underground water – CWSA Mon, 01Sep2014The Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA) in the Upper West Region says, emerging trends such as burials in homes and unmarked ...
- RT @techreview: The long weekend is over. It's time to focus, be inspired, gain insight, register for #EmTechMIT: EmTechMIT.com 2 hours ago
- RT @D_Roy_Water: Great speech by #WWWeek laureate #Briscoe. Provocative as promised! http://t.co/HCg1q71DKU 3 hours ago
- Unclogging the Blockages in Sanitation | @sanupdates @dietvorst ow.ly/AXGwK #wash #watsan 13 hours ago
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #S wp.me/pCkIF-xd 17 hours ago
- INDIACSR Invites Speakers for its 1st #Sanitation Summit-2014 ‘Sanitation for All-Toilet First’ -New Delhi in Dec ow.ly/AXGCM 17 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch