TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Calgary-based charity reaches 9.3 million people with safe drinking water, secures $12 million in ... Mon, 22Sep2014CALGARY, Sept. 22, 2014 /CNW/ - CAWST, the Centre for Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology, has announced its latest results, showing that ...
- THE CALL: #GLOBALCITIZEN CLEAN WATER FOR ALL Mon, 22Sep2014Clean water and safe sanitation systems can transform lives, helping communities rise out of poverty. Clean water makes it possible for children to ...
- American Standard CEO to Lead Global Sanitation Session at Clinton Global Initiative Annual ... Mon, 22Sep2014Worldwide, 2.5 billion people lack access to safe sanitation facilities. ... of people who lack access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation. In 2013 ...
- Climate change called public health threat by medical journal Mon, 22Sep2014... in the early part of the 21st century, it is critical to recognize that climate change poses the same threat to health as the lack of sanitation, clean water ...
- We can solve the water sanitation crisis, but we need your help Mon, 22Sep2014The CEOs of the Ikea Foundation and Water.org call for a partnership to help those that lack access to safe water.
- We can solve the water sanitation crisis, but we need your help Mon, 22Sep2014The lack of access to safe water and sanitation has had a devastating impact on those living at the base of the economic pyramid (BOP). In contrast, it ...
- Implementation of water, sanitation rights in Barind stressed Mon, 22Sep2014RAJSHAHI : Full-fledged implementation of water and sanitation rights in Barind region has become indispensable for the hard-to-reach people as ...
- The Link Between Sanitation and Schooling Mon, 22Sep2014In Addition to Adequate Provision of Funds for Cleaning, Sanitation Training and ... Posted by Water Network Research on 22 Sep 2014 at 08:00.
- 60 Million Loan to Upgrade Water, Sanitation in 26 Small Nepal Towns (ADB - Asian Development ... Mon, 22Sep2014Published: 06 Sep 2011. Add to PlaylistPlayShare Video. ABC's of Water Supply and Sanitation for the Poor and Case Studies from Andhra Pradesh,.
- County Breaks Old Taboos to Sort Out Toilet Problem Mon, 22Sep2014"Sanitation is of economic importance because investors will only be ... World Bank country senior water and sanitation specialist Dr Yolande ...
- Deputy Minister Water and Sanitation Pamela Tshwete Mon, 22Sep2014South Africa's water resources have been under increasing pressure and water shortages have been the source of several service delivery protests ...
- CARE is working to improve access to water and sanitation Mon, 22Sep2014The Suez Environnement Initiatives Fund is supporting the CARE organisation, which is currently working with the people of Syria who are enduring a ...
- Water and Sanitation Officer (M/F) Mon, 22Sep2014In collaboration with the Watsan team leader, monitors the progress of Watsan activities against objectives and work plan; Liaises with logistics for ...
- UNICEF Philippines Mon, 22Sep2014JOB VACANCIES: 1. Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (#WASH) Specialist 2. Executive Coaching Consultant Please visit the UNICEF Philippines website ...
- Kirinyaga Water & Sanitation Company Internal Auditor and HR & Admin Manager Jobs in Kenya Mon, 22Sep2014Kirinyaga Water & Sanitation Company is one of the Water Service Providers contracted by Tana Water Services Board (TWSB) as an agent to provide ...
- Punjab State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Policy Mon, 22Sep2014Dhugga said that for the purpose state government had notified Punjab State Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Policy – 2014. The main aim of the ...
- SCV development plans include water recycling plant Mon, 22Sep2014That sewage would flow into the existing sewage system to be treated at Santa Clarita Valley Sanitation District water reclamation plants in either ...
- Egypt Independent Mon, 22Sep2014The Drinking Water and Sanitation Company in Giza announced cutting off water to several areas of the governorate in order to conduct periodic...
- The Need for Water-Sanitation and Hygiene in Schools Mon, 22Sep20141. innovation: conveyance companionship is non the hardly working class of develop faculties 2. subscribe to of hygienics for the fryren 3. How it ...
- Provide consulting services for the benefit of eastern company for potable water & sanitation Mon, 22Sep2014Opening date of tender: 10/15/2014 00:00. Declares the two East and the lake for drinking water and sanitation interest in rehabilitation consultants ...
- RT @unfoundation: "Gender discrimination is the most tolerated violation of rights on earth today." - @phumzileunwomen #2030NOW 1 day ago
- What we learnt about #Sanitation for emerging markets from World Bank Experts ow.ly/BDjPr #watsan #wash 3 days ago
- pub: Making community-led total #sanitation fully inclusive; and Violence, gender and WASH: toolkit. WaterAid ow.ly/BDjyK 3 days ago
- Ebola challenge exposes sanitation gaps in schools | BusinessDay ow.ly/BDjdA 3 days ago
- RT @AnnieFeighery: Technology-driven mobile surveys for innovating M&E wateraid.org/news/news/larg… @WaterAid partners with @mWaterCo in Banglade… 3 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch