TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Govt acts to end Kaputa water blues Fri, 13Dec2013Kaputa District Water and Sanitation co-ordinator William Chikalipa confirmed this ... in the various wards, with priority given to those with critical water problems.
- Water, sanitation funding left to donors - GhanaWeb Mobile Fri, 13Dec2013Government's reliance on donors to provide 82 percent of monies allocated to water and sanitation next year leaves this crucial sector in the hands of foreigners, ...
- WATER SANITATION AND HYGIENE HEAD OF PROJECT Capiz ... Fri, 13Dec2013Ref: HOPWASH/EMRPH/13. ACF is an international non-governmental, private, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit organization created in 1979. Its goal is to ...
- Mozambique - National Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Program ... Fri, 13Dec2013Mozambique - National Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Program (PRONASAR) in Nampula and Zambézia provinces - Maganja Da Costa District - Contract ...
- Mozambique - National Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Program ... Fri, 13Dec2013Mozambique - National Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Program (PRONASAR) in Nampula and Zambézia provinces - Mopeia District - Contract Award ...
- Zimbabwe - Urgent Water Supply and Sanitation Rehabilitation ... Fri, 13Dec2013In this section. Zimbabwe - Urgent Water Supply and Sanitation Rehabilitation Project (UWSSRP) - Chegutu - Contract Award. Publishing Date, 12/12/2013.
- Israel, Jordan, Palestinians strike water-sharing deal Fri, 13Dec2013Alexander McPhail, the lead water and sanitation specialist in the World Bank's Water Practice division, tells Monday that in return, “Israel will increase the ...
- 3rd tranche of ADB Water Investment Program on Azerbaijan ... Fri, 13Dec2013Azerbaijan's national water operator Azersu OJSC has obtained success: the 3rd ... Investment Program of Water Supply & Sanitation (Multi-Financing Facility; ...
- Audioboo / Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council ... Fri, 13Dec2013Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council. WSSCC saves lives of poor people around the world by improving access to basic sanitation and hygiene.
- Water, sanitation funding left to donors Fri, 13Dec2013Government's reliance on donors to provide 82 percent of monies allocated to water and sanitation next year leaves this crucial sector in the hands of foreigners, ...
- Safe drinking water and sanitation rights to barind people stressed ... Fri, 13Dec2013Safe drinking water and sanitation rights to barind people stressed. 2013-12-13. Loading, please wait... Wire News provided by. TOPICS. Drinking Water
- 2012_OC_ES: India Water and Sanitation - open courseware Fri, 13Dec2013Video Darfur Water. File Zambia First Lady. File Myanmar Hygiene. File Clinton Launch. File India Water and Sanitation. File World Water Day. File Maldives.
- 2012_OC_ES: WHO UNICEF Joint Monitoring Program for Water ... Fri, 13Dec2013WHO UNICEF Joint Monitoring Program for Water Supply and Sanitation. Click http://www.wssinfo.org/ link to open resource. Skip Navigation ...
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Program Manager - ReliefWeb Fri, 13Dec2013The most pressing initial needs are for clean water, sanitation, temporary shelter, and food. Mercy Corps has years of experience helping low-income ...
- Pochalla assessment showed lack of access to water and sanitation ... Fri, 13Dec2013JUBA, South Sudan, 11 December 2013 / PRNewswire Africa / - A water and sanitation assessment conducted in Jonglei's Pochalla County showed critica.
- Rockwood fourth-graders promote local effort to help people in Ghana Fri, 13Dec2013The Ghana Project improves sanitation by building sanitary latrines and water filters; they also build boreholes, which are like wells. The water filters The Ghana ...
- Ethekwini Water And Sanitation | Complaint | no service delivery - 24 Fri, 13Dec2013Customer service complaint on Hellopeter.com for Ethekwini Water And Sanitation in Durban South Africa by AMAHLE007. Nature of Complaint - none supply of ...
- Water & sanitation | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Fri, 13Dec2013UNICEF staff and local volunteers unload jerrycans in Tacloban City for distribution in typhoon-affected areas. A jerrycan is part of a water kit, which also ...
- Water & sanitation | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Fri, 13Dec2013UNICEF staff and local volunteers hygiene kits in Tacloban City. Each hygiene kit contains enough supplies for a family of six. It contains bath and laundry soap, ...
- Autonomous water, sanitation body for Peshawar soon - DAWN.COM Fri, 13Dec2013The new body, Water and Sanitation Services Peshawar (WSSP), would be a public limited company owned by the government, according to sources.
- AND THE WINNER IS….Community-led Total Sanitation in Himachal Pradesh | Sanitation Updates ow.ly/rCcLm 2 days ago
- Paper: Coconut shells as filling material for #anaerobic filters - #sanitation 14 pg pdf ow.ly/rCclH 2 days ago
- Paper: Comparing Local Fiscal Autonomy in the Water and Sanitation Sectors of Johannesburg & Nairobi 16 pg pdf ow.ly/rCc8L 2 days ago
- great article: Global Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health — So Near and Yet So Far — NEJM ow.ly/rCbQU #globalhealth 2 days ago
- Israel, Jordan, Palestinians Strike Water-Sharing Deal | WUNC ow.ly/rCbHf 3 days ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente