TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- REC commits financial support under CSR Initiativesfor Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Wed, 22Oct2014(Source: REC - Rural Electrification Corporation Ltd) REC commits financial support under CSR Initiativesfor Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH) ...
- Water Sanitation and Health (WASH) Tue, 21Oct2014Water Sanitation and Health (WASH) Technical Advisor. Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter to indicating the ...
- Migrants fight in Calais for control of routes to Britain, say police Tue, 21Oct2014There is no running water or sanitation. There is, however, an excellent view of the carriageway which goes towards the port. When a queue of lorries ...
- Gazans at risk as winter looms Tue, 21Oct2014Summary⎙ Print Much of Gaza's water, power and sanitation infrastructure was damaged in the recent conflict. Repairs are taking time, which has left ...
- Water and sanitation districts seek community outreach opportunities Tue, 21Oct2014Platte Canyon and Southwest Metropolitan Water and Sanitation Districts are increasing their efforts to explain what we do and how we do it. A brief ...
- Infrastructure Development for Peace in Darfur (3-6) Tue, 21Oct2014The table Total Water Supply by Different Sources, Population and Per ... 15.7% of households in Darfur had access to improved sanitation, with the ...
- Scientists Networked for Outcomes from Water and Sanitation Tue, 21Oct2014It has not been long since Africa was hit by the Deadly Ebola Virus. Although as of now, Ghana has not been hit by the disease, we cannot say same ...
- Water and Sanitation Tue, 21Oct2014Search Results For Water and Sanitation. Bid Closing Date Oct 22, 2014 (Wednesday) To Apr 22, 2015 (Wednesday) ...
- India: Sanitation & Environmental Health in Rural Rajasthan Communities Tue, 21Oct2014All people have the right to safe drinking water, sanitation, shelter and basic services.”—Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary General. While the UN ...
- Village Water Tue, 21Oct2014View Village Water's (United Kingdom) professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the ... Changing lives in Africa through safe water and sanitation.
- Senior / Principal Water & Sanitation Specialist, IFC (World Bank) Tue, 21Oct2014Fifteen years or more experience in the water and sanitation industry, preferably gained in an operating company and/or a specialized water ...
- SIBO WATER AND SANITATION COMPANY LTD(SIBOWASCO) Tue, 21Oct2014SIBOWASCO is a water service provider contracted by Lake Victoria South Water Services Board to provide water and sanitation services within Siaya ...
- Friends, relatives remember Pittsburgh sanitation worker killed in Carrick Tue, 21Oct2014Mr. Hodges fell in the water, and stood there while it covered half his body. Mr. White warned him to move, then, noting that he was significantly ...
- Clean Schools project a boon for Tripura Tue, 21Oct2014These schools will get water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) on a war footing to improve their lot. To make this possible, three institutions have signed ...
- UN Rapporteurs Investigating Water Shut-Offs in Detroit Tue, 21Oct2014UN Special Rapporteur on drinking water and sanitation Catarina de Albuquerque said in a press conference this week that the UN team was ...
- Minister of Water and Sanitation Nomvula Mokonyane strengthens relations with business Tue, 21Oct2014The Minister of Water and Sanitation, Ms. Nomvula Mokonyane yesterday met with the leadership team of the public - private sector led ...
- Matt Damon's Water.org to Boost Safe Water Access in East Africa Tue, 21Oct2014Water.org, a U.S. non-profit group co-founded by actor Matt Damon, will ... year to boost access to safe water and sanitation in Kenya and Uganda.
- Water & Sanitation Tue, 21Oct2014Detroit: The water shut-offs are disproportionately affecting the most vulnerable and poorest, most of whom are African American, warn UN rights ...
- October 20th, 2014 · 2 min read Tue, 21Oct2014It is for this reason that the upcoming Sustainable Development Goals must include indicators measuring access to water, sanitation and hygiene, not ...
- News Hits: United Nations officials say Detroit water shut-offs impact city's most vulnerable residents Tue, 21Oct2014... for safe drinking water and sanitation, provides her with, at most, the ability to advocate on behalf of people facing possible human rights violations.
- one-hour webinar, "Introduction to Environmental #Sanitation", this Thursday, October 23rd. ow.ly/D8CcQ @CAWST 2 hours ago
- With Water Scarce In Yarmouk, Civilians Face Starvation, Malnutrition, Disease | Syria Deeply, Covering the Crisis ow.ly/D8BbK 2 hours ago
- Oxfam: Only a Concerted and Co-ordinated Global Effort Will Stop Ebola Spread. - ow.ly/D8AB1 2 hours ago
- Grappling with a #cholera epidemic in northern #Cameroon - IFRC ow.ly/D8As9 #globalhealth 2 hours ago
- edX: Introduction to Drinking Water Treatment – OCT 28 wp.me/pCkIF-xI 2 hours ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- Keep Watch on Water and Sanitation!
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch