TEDxAmsterdamWomen Anjali Sarker – Toilet+ overcoming my childhood fear TEDX event
A great presentation by Anjali Sarker of Toilet Plus on their strategy and reasoning for introducing toilets that work based on financial technical sustainable and social criteria. Toilet Plus is in the early phase of it plan.
” DEFECATION! DISEASE! DEATH! In Bangladesh, each year 69000 children die from diarrhea largely because of unhygienic sanitation. 68% of the villagers use unhygienic pit latrines or defecate openly. Though both govt and NGOs are trying to solve this problem, their efforts largely fail because poor villagers- 1)simply lack motivation to change their sanitation behavior or 2)can’t afford the shift to safe sanitation.
TOILET+ /Toilet Plus introduced as A HYGIENIC AND AFFORDABLE SANITATION SOLUTION. It’s a urine diverting dry toilet and is structurally similar to Ecosan. It can recycle 100% waste to produce organic fertilizer and is flood resistant. Toilet+ ($110 value) is made affordable to the villagers through microcredit from partner MFI.
Toilet+ OFFER COLLECTIVE PROFIT & RESPONSIBILITY. Households form cooperatives,apply for microcredit, and become collectively responsible to repay the total monthly installments to MFI. Member households get toilets from Toilet+ and Toilet+ get paid by MFI. Members sell waste (human and other bio-waste) to Toilet+ and Toilet+ convert waste into organic fertilizer for selling to agro firms. By selling waste, a cooperative gets $70 a month (75% of the collective installments) and each household pays only $1.3 out of pocket to repay the collective monthly installments. Members create strong peer pressure on one another to use toilet so that they can repay collective loan easily.
THE MODEL TURNS TO A SELF-SCALABLE AND SELF-SUSTAINABLE SANITATION CHAIN. Cooperatives will continue to earn revenue from sale of waste after repaying the microcredit in 2.25 years. Understanding the high profitability of financing toilets, enthusiastic cooperative members will start lending non-users to purchase Toilet+ just like MFIs. Users will use peer pressure to make other non-users purchase and use Toilet+ with cooperative financing. Thus cooperative will grow and members will earn more revenue from sale of waste from their financed toilets.
Toilet+ IGNITES THE SPARK, COMMUNITY MAKES IT A REVOLUTION. 1)The more a family uses Toilet+, the more it earns 2)Many Cooperatives will finance others’ toilets as a profitable business and thus expand the size of the cooperative. 3)Fewer fatal diseases, cleaner environment, and more income will improve the living standard of community permanently. “
source for quoted content Dell Social Innovation Challenge- Toilets (changed to third person)
Toilet Plus site:
- A Business Model That Will Blow Your Mind & 10 Ways You Can Improve Yours (fireflycoaching.com)
- Canadian-made toilet aims to lay waste to sanitation diseases (ctvnews.ca)
- Toilet Apartheid (counterpunch.org)
- Renewed research call for low-cost sanitation technologies in Bangladesh [deadline18 Feb 2013] (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- UN deputy chief urges action on water rights (sfgate.com)
- ICDDRB – Update on WASH and hygiene practices (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- April Rinne, Where Is Microfinance Most Powerfully Linked with Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water and Sanitation to End Poverty and Mitigate Climate Change? (slideshare.net)
- Farmers in Nepal Use Urine to Boost Crop Yields (scientificamerican.com)
- Poor sanitation, poverty behind Swazi diarrhoea outbreak Fri, 01Aug2014We encourage the public to observe good sanitation practices, as well as drinking water that is known to be safe, or water that is boiled before use,” ...
- Gaza Without Power, Water, Sanitation; Call to Stop Trade with Israel Fri, 01Aug2014Since the facility provides power to key infrastructure, including water [and] sanitation facilities, Tuesday's attack will have a devastating impact on the ...
- Construction Contractor for the National Water Supply and Sanitation Project Financed By the ... Fri, 01Aug2014The work includes 9 water intake structure-deep wells, 3.6 km of main water transmission line, 2 x 5000m3 water reservoirs, chlorination building, ...
- Azerbaijan, ADB to Sign Agreement for Third Tranche of Water, Sanitation Program Fri, 01Aug2014The agreement on the 3rd tranche of the Investment Program of Water Supply and Sanitation (Multi-Financing Facility; MFF), funded by the Asian ...
- Use water provision to fast-track transformation – Mokonyane Fri, 01Aug2014Water and sanitation provision should be used to fast-track transformation, Water and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokonyane said on Friday.
- Engineer / Technologist Fri, 01Aug2014Job Description. A leading firm of Consulting Engineers has a vacancy for an Engineer / Technologist (Water & Sanitation), to be based in Durban.
- Water and Sanitation Technician, Juba, South Sudan Fri, 01Aug2014Water Programmes Refresh South Sudan Communities. Uploaded by SamaritansPurseTV to YouTube. Water and Sanitation Technician, Juba, South ...
- AfDB Grants Malawi $104 Million for Water, Daily Times Reports Fri, 01Aug2014The money will be used for sustainable rural water and sanitation infrastructure, a feasibility study for the Lower Shire water development, and the ...
- Water and sanitation summit Fri, 01Aug2014The Minister of Water and Sanitation Nomvula Mokonyane is hosting a two-day water and sanitation summit on 1 and 2 August. The purpose of the ...
- Water and sanitation summit kicks off Fri, 01Aug2014The Minister of Water and Sanitation Nomvula Mokonyane is hosting a two-day water and sanitation summit on 1 and 2 August.Danielle Petterson
- Hill tribe sanitation and water supply project Fri, 01Aug2014Water-borne diseases and sicknesses related to low sanitation mortality is the highest and it is 85% of all cases seen in the village clinics. Water is ...
- Meet the New Female Faces in Cabinet Fri, 01Aug2014Before being appointed as the Minister of State in Charge of Energy, Water and Sanitation in the Ministry of Infrastructure (MININFRA), Kamayirese ...
- Taps and toilets take leaders' eyes off the bigger picture Fri, 01Aug2014AS SHE kicks off her water summit on Friday, new Water Affairs and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokonyane might like to reflect on the challenges ...
- Promoting Water, Sanitation and Hygiene through Grassroot Comics Fri, 01Aug2014Children were also encouraged to take collective initiatives in their schools,local communities regarding Water,Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
- Hindu texts not to blame for India's sanitation crisis Fri, 01Aug2014As people migrated to cities in search of education and jobs, indigenous knowledge of water management and sanitation disappeared completely.
- Water and Sanitation Project Fri, 01Aug2014Help Give Rural Mukono Access to Safe Clean Water We plan to sink four deep water wells (boreholes). Drilling a bore hole takes one month. And it is ...
- To ensure clean water and sanitation in rural areas Fri, 01Aug2014Deputy Prime Minister emphasized that clean water and environment sanitation is an important issue that receives special attention from the ...
- Poor Sanitation: The Startling Link to Childhood Malnutrition Fri, 01Aug2014As we discussed water pollution, a July 13 New York Times article reported on an emerging hypothesis that poor sanitation in India may be more ...
- Kenyans rights to safe water and sanitation Thu, 31Jul2014GENEVA: At the end of a seven-day official visit to Kenya*, the UN Special Rapporteur on the human right to safe drinking water and sanitation, ...
- Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies - 2nd Edition Thu, 31Jul2014Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (Eawag), Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC), International Water ...
- Women and Water : Solutions to the Issues of #Water and #Gender Roles| @Eneref Institute ow.ly/zMT10 #watsan 23 hours ago
- Action Will Lead Us to the End of Extreme Poverty |@It incudes #water and #sanitation ow.ly/zMhHW #GlobalPovertyProject 1 day ago
- good read: National Water and Sanitation wp.me/pCkIF-ww 1 day ago
- good read: National Water and Sanitation Summit: why it is important for #SouthAfrica? ow.ly/zMSpg #watersecurity #wash #watsan 1 day ago
- #PuertoRico to begin rationing #water | GlobalPost ow.ly/zMRUZ #watersecurity 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente
- Global Health Dispatch