New Report: Small-scale finance for water and sanitation
Published jointly by:
“This report identifies ways in which governments and External Support Agencies can increase access to finance for small-scale (SSF) WATSAN providers, by channelling public funding to support the market and leverage private sector financing. Sophie discusses her research findings and gives example of successful small-scale finance initiatives across the globe.”
Author /Contributors / Acknowledgements
“This report has been written by Sophie Trémolet (Trémolet Consulting Limited, London). The report incorporates contributions and comments from Alan Hall (Chair of the EUWI-FWG) and James Winpenny (Wychwood Economic Consulting Ltd).”
“The paper was reviewed by Meera Mehta (Professor Emeritus at CEPT University, Ahmedabad, India), April Rinne (Director of the WaterCredit programme at Water.org) and members of the FWG, who also responded to a survey of European Union (EU) donors on their current practices relative to small-scale finance.”
“Background research and drafting support were contributed by Sophie Ayling, Aarti Daryanani and Candice Lanoix. Much of the original material was gathered in the context of research in India and Tanzania funded by DFID through the SHARE research consortium as well as WaterAid Tanzania. The case studies were carried out jointly by Sophie Trémolet and members of the MicroSave team, including T.V.S. Ravi Kumar and Ravi Kant in India and George Muruka and George Mugweru in Kenya and Tanzania.”
(extracted from the report)
What more could external support agencies do?
Which concerted actions could be initiated?
1.1 Report objectives
1.2 Background to the report
1.4 Report structure
2. Understanding the market
2.1 Who are small-scale service providers in the WATSAN sector?
2.2 What are their financing needs?
3. What type of repayable financing is available to SSF recipients?
3.1 Microfinance for households
3.2 Mesofinance for WATSAN service providers
4. How can public funds be used to increase finance to SSF recipients?
4.1 Should public sector support be provided to leverage SSF?
4.2 What experience do EU donors currently have in this area?
5. Potential financial instruments to support SSF
5.1 Grant funding
5.2 Concessional loans
5.4 Equity investments
6. The ‘channelling’ challenge: getting funds from A to B
6.1 The ‘straight line approach’ (through domestic financial institutions)
6.2 The ‘Apex approach’
6.3 The ‘funnel approach’
Annex A – Overview of the small-scale finance market in Kenya
Annex B – Glossary: financial terms relative to small-scale finance
Annex C – Useful resources
Table 1. Types of small-scale WATSAN providers and their financing needs
Table 2. Microcredit for WATSAN: the case for and against
Table 3. Role of public funding to support SSF services to WATSAN
Figure 1. The overall ‘financing equation’ for WATSAN providers
Figure 2. Access to finance: the uncovered segments
Figure 3. Alternative channels to get funds from A to B
- 72 pages PDF
- pub date “April 2012″
It is a great report and even makes attempts to address both pros and cons. As an example for For “governments and external support agencies” the following list for WATSAN financing :
“Efficient use of funds and high leverage ratios (i.e. the amount of private funding leveraged for each USD of public funding provided): this may, therefore, help free up scarce public resources to target the poorest”
“Pro-poor targeting: microfinance (microcredit) may not lift affordability constraints for the poorest: it may only be applicable to a segment of the population (which would vary in size depending on the country) and is not the only means of increasing access”
This shall be a great document to start /extend the conversation on SSF with key NGOs, Government agencies, and other Financial type organizations. (we look forward to the conference that does just that)
- Sophie Tremolet on Small Scale Finance for Sanitation and Water, July 2012
- SHARE – Small-scale finance for water and sanitation (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- WSP – What Does It Take to Scale Up Rural Sanitation? (sanitationupdates.wordpress.com)
- Five microcredit programs innovate to break the cycle of poverty (csmonitor.com)
- ETHIOPIA: Safe water – a glass half full (irinnews.org)
- Microfinance for Water and Sanitation: An Example of Client-Focused Innovation (microfinance.cgap.org)
- How is water and sanitation a social justice issue? - Yahoo7 Answers Wed, 11Dec2013Can you explain to me and give me an example of how it's a socials justice issue? Also how does it connect to biology, chemistry, physics and space?
- Golden Hills Sanitation saga continues Wed, 11Dec2013The first, which has no designated dollar value, is a limited number of staff hours of technical assistance from California Rural Water Association, funded under a ...
- ROTARY ROUNDUP: Busy season for Rotarians Wed, 11Dec2013The Rotary Club of South Surrey, through the Water and Sanitation Rotarian Action Group (WASRAG), has completed a one-year donor-funded project in ...
- New plan for CCDU formulated amidst bungling probe Wed, 11Dec2013“Annual budget for CCDU is around Rs 56 crore and this amount will be directly transferred in account of village water sanitation committees headed by elected ...
- water and sanitation | WaterSan Perspective Wed, 11Dec2013A site for WATER JOURNALISTS AFRICA, a network of African Journalists who report on Water and Sanitation.
- Campaign for sanitation, safe drinking water being intensified: Sham ... Wed, 11Dec2013Jammu, December 11, (Scoop News)- Describing the role of Communication & Capacity Development Unit (CCDU) as most important part for ensuring safe ...
- Clean water should not be a pipe dream | Human Rights Watch Wed, 11Dec2013I was in her neighborhood doing research on the city's collapsing water and sanitation infrastructure. As Louisa led me around to the toilet at the back of her ...
- Ghana Aid Effectiveness Forum dissects 2014 budget Wed, 11Dec2013Findings from the monitoring of the water and sanitation in 2013 indicate a short fall in water supply to rural and urban areas in Ghana. Per the Ghana Urban ...
- Peru's Sedapal to invest US$96mn in water, sanitation works in Ate ... Wed, 11Dec2013Peru's Sedapal to invest US$96mn in water, sanitation works in Ate and Santa Anita. 2013-12-10. Loading, please wait... Wire News provided by. TOPICS.
- PNet : Advert View : Pr Civil Design Eng/Tech Water and Sanitation ... Wed, 11Dec2013Professional Civil Design EngineerTechnologist -Water and SanitationMy Client is a well-established Consulting Company based in the Durban area and is ...
- Utilities Focus - Why sanitation is a good investment Wed, 11Dec2013Time out from work due to illness associated with poor sanitation means a lack of productivity and lack of earnings. Universal access to sanitation and water ...
- Parliament Approves Budget For Two Ministries Wed, 11Dec2013The institutions include the Ministry of Communications, Ministry of Water ... He noted that the Community Water and Sanitation Agency completed the ...
- Safe drinking water and sanitation rights to barind people stressed Wed, 11Dec2013RAJSHAHI, Dec 11, 2013 (BSS)- Ensuring rights to safe drinking water and sanitation to the people of hard-to reach and disadvantaged areas in the dried ...
- Dakshina Kannada & Udupi Water Supply & Sanitation Planning ... Wed, 11Dec2013Dakshina Kannada & Udupi Water Supply & Sanitation Planning & Issues Mangalore.
- Vacancy: Senior Wash Advisor Sanitation, Mwanza, Tanzania Wed, 11Dec2013Currently SNV is working throughout mainland Tanzania in three main sectors of Agriculture, Water and Sanitation Hygiene (WASH), and Renewable Energy ( ...
- Energy Water and Sanitation Authority N0.11.07.026/ /13/DIR ... - Ewsa Wed, 11Dec2013Energy Water and Sanitation Authority. Avenue du lac Ihema, PO Box 537 Kigali, Rwanda. Tel: + (250) (0)252573666, Fax + (250) (0)252573802.
- Local non-profit takes on food industry giant Wed, 11Dec2013Water and Sanitation Health, Inc. alleges six communities in Guatemala have been exposed to toxic chemicals that are a result of Chiquita Brands International.
- IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre on Eventbrite Wed, 11Dec2013IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre is using Eventbrite to organize 8 upcoming events. Check out IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre's ...
- 1.8m Europeans demand water, sanitation rights | neurope.eu Wed, 11Dec2013Human Rights Day was marked by the European Water Movement handing in 1.8 million signature petition to the European Commission, demanding they ...acarling
- Celebrating sanitation in Nepal | The WaterHub Tue, 10Dec2013Nargarkot is an international tourist destination and, as such, sanitation is vital ... They helped set-up a village water, sanitation and hygiene committee last year ...
- AND THE WINNER IS….Community-led Total Sanitation in Himachal Pradesh | Sanitation Updates ow.ly/rCcLm 1 day ago
- Paper: Coconut shells as filling material for #anaerobic filters - #sanitation 14 pg pdf ow.ly/rCclH 1 day ago
- Paper: Comparing Local Fiscal Autonomy in the Water and Sanitation Sectors of Johannesburg & Nairobi 16 pg pdf ow.ly/rCc8L 1 day ago
- great article: Global Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health — So Near and Yet So Far — NEJM ow.ly/rCbQU #globalhealth 1 day ago
- Israel, Jordan, Palestinians Strike Water-Sharing Deal | WUNC ow.ly/rCbHf 1 day ago
Blogs I Follow
- WASH & Nutrition
- WASH Finance
- WashWatch Blog
- Ross Bailey's Blog
- A Page from Tom Paulson
- Source News Service Feedback's Blog
- Sustainable Sanitation in Emergency & Reconstruction
- Peter J Bury 4 IRC
- Medindo Água
- Insourced- Dr. Kate Tulenko
- The Political Economy of Water Project
- Knowledge streams
- Environmental Engineering Engenharia do Ambiente